Best Porcelain for Hybrid PFM Bars

toothdesigner

toothdesigner

Reaction score
I would like to ask someone who has had similar experience with fabricating these types of Hybrid PFM Bars on Implants, or large bridge work in noble and high noble PFM's, what porcelain to use. Due to the demands these specific cases present, I'm currently using Shofu vintage but experience cracking during or after dentin firing. I thought a Ceramco 3 or a Noritake EX-3 type porcelain might be more forgiving to all of these parameters. Can anyone offer suggestions? Please consider all of the design factors were observed correctly as well as firing parameters. I feel the mass of metal is causing the problem.

Last edited:
trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
Are you baking directly to the Bar or doing individual crowns? Nobel had an idea about creating an implant bar designed with individual preps then scan those for Procera copings (the scan files are kept in archive) so if one of them cracks it can be replaced later, the tissue area was layered with GC's Gradia. The access holes would be covered by a crown, so they would not be seen.

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
It could be the mass of metal in ratio to the porcelain, large areas of metal not cooling quick enough before porcelain. May need a slow cool stage coming out of the oven. Ceramco is pretty tough as well as Reflex

toothdesigner

toothdesigner

Reaction score
i prefer to use removable bridges as you described but have done both. the just of my search is to find a more forgiving porcelain system to use on large cases to minimize porc.problems associated with these kind of cases, looking for someone who has been there to keep me from being suicidal. So far none of the porc manufacturers I have spoken to will committ to pleasant results.
Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
Take a look at the Reflex from Weiland, it has performed well for me. I had a dentist bring in a bridge that another lab had made that was sent back to them for more work twice. They couldn't please him so he asked me to give it a shot. I had no idea what porcelain they used. to avoid any trouble between Dr. and the other Lab I didn't press the issue and assumed/looked like it was Ceramco 3. I abraded and cleaned the bridge and added the Reflex to it, bonded well and glazed just fine. was always pleased with its results.

trianglej

trianglej

Reaction score
It's also the porcelain that is used by PTC for ceramic training, Check with Blue Dolphin about that.

toothdesigner

toothdesigner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
All the large cases I have posted here over the last couple of years were with Evolution Lite layered with Inline.

No problems with that combo. Very nice to work with. Acually I love that combination.

But E lite is pricey now with 40% Au. Your talking $1500 of metal.

I recently switched to layering Inline on Calisto 75 Pd. Its Noble only 2% Au. Light oxides.
I did one full arch splint and it went well.
I do give a longer cool time like 2 minutes and let it sit under the open muffe till the temp gets back down to 760 F before I remove it.

You can always hollow out your pontics.

I found when I get over 40% Au I start having problems because the metal is so dense it holds the heat way too long.

I have 2 more in the works. The one below I will be layering Fri its the Inline/Calisto 75 PD combo.

Ill let you know how it works out for me. There is too much stress and materials and time invested in these cases to have problems.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Dr_20D_drd55.jpg

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Green_gr59.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Dr_20D_drd55.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Green_gr59.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom