BE CAREFUL WITH THE ZIRCONIUM DESIGN!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone considered what type of diamond is being used to finish the Zirconia? Is there exposed Stainless steel on the diamond burr? (worn out burr) Does the Zirconia have the ability to get contaminated, like regular metal? Did the Zirconia get blasted with something?

Only recently did we settle down on a burr. We now use only Komet ZR diamonds, and we use the White or Yellow Fine and Ultra fine diamonds. As soon as they start to loose their cutting, I make employees throw into trash. I have seen my own employee try to keep cutting with a burr that has only 50% of the diamonds left! Dude was trying to finish with raw steel. It still cuts, and often you can't see the streaks of Grey left behind from the shank/center of the burr. I lost sleep thinking about what we were doing to ourselfs. Next day we had a serious talk about finishing Zirconia.

This could be a factor often overlooked? When we first started working with this hard material, my instinct was to grab a Green, course aggressive diamond thinking it would last longer finishing Zirconia. That was the complete wrong thing to do. Then we tried every diamond under the sun, including some rare, hard to find sintered diamonds for high-speed turbine.

Never seen much talk about this "finishing" of Zirconia. I think it's pretty important.

What data do you guys have that says the Zirconia market is shrinking? I don't see it in my world. Just because milling center "X", or lab "X" is saying that? Maybe their customer bought their own mill. Ever think of that? So, I say the Zirconia market is still growing. The only market I see shrinking is the PFMs.

C

Chris Vella

Reaction score
I see an awful increase in demand, and with this I have seen a lot if investment by other laboratories in milling machines and CAD softwares. At my Lab I always use reduced millings as opposed to frameworks, if you use High quality ceramics like E-max you should always get a really good aesthetic result too. Zi may not be the perfect material, but when compared to PFM it has a lot of benefits.

C

clearH2O

Reaction score
Scott is right

Has anyone considered what type of diamond is being used to finish the Zirconia? Is there exposed Stainless steel on the diamond burr? (worn out burr) Does the Zirconia have the ability to get contaminated, like regular metal? Did the Zirconia get blasted with something?

Only recently did we settle down on a burr. We now use only Komet ZR diamonds, and we use the White or Yellow Fine and Ultra fine diamonds. As soon as they start to loose their cutting, I make employees throw into trash. I have seen my own employee try to keep cutting with a burr that has only 50% of the diamonds left! Dude was trying to finish with raw steel. It still cuts, and often you can't see the streaks of Grey left behind from the shank/center of the burr. I lost sleep thinking about what we were doing to ourselfs. Next day we had a serious talk about finishing Zirconia.

This could be a factor often overlooked? When we first started working with this hard material, my instinct was to grab a Green, course aggressive diamond thinking it would last longer finishing Zirconia. That was the complete wrong thing to do. Then we tried every diamond under the sun, including some rare, hard to find sintered diamonds for high-speed turbine.

Never seen much talk about this "finishing" of Zirconia. I think it's pretty important.

What data do you guys have that says the Zirconia market is shrinking? I don't see it in my world. Just because milling center "X", or lab "X" is saying that? Maybe their customer bought their own mill. Ever think of that? So, I say the Zirconia market is still growing. The only market I see shrinking is the PFMs.
Hi Scott, IMO but only when lab can fine a good outsourcing milling center.
thanks for your input
clearh2o