ATTN Sirona users!:

P

paulg100

Reaction score
OK so i just came across something VERY interesting.

Check page 4 of 3shapes new brochure:

Dental Brochure_Rune_lowres.pdf

Now what do we see here! a MCXL supported by the new cambridge software!

Theres also an inlab block on page 22.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Is this finally the news weve been waiting for?? If i can finally dump the crappy inlab software, this will be awesome...

Anyone know how much the cambridge software costs?

Check: now youd think after buying a £20,000 dongle we'd be able to just use this, before we get to excited.. lets find out how much the NEW dongle is, you just know its gonna be true :banghead:

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
That's a 2012 brochure. As good as 3Shape is they always put stuff in their brochures that aren't out or working at the moment but the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if 3Shape will be able to interact on all levels with Sirona. They just opened up the scanning import feature so I guess all that's left is integration with the mills.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
OK so i just came across something VERY interesting.

Check page 4 of 3shapes new brochure:

Dental Brochure_Rune_lowres.pdf

Now what do we see here! a MCXL supported by the new cambridge software!

Theres also an inlab block on page 22.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Is this finally the news weve been waiting for?? If i can finally dump the crappy inlab software, this will be awesome...

Anyone know how much the cambridge software costs?

Check: now youd think after buying a £20,000 dongle we'd be able to just use this, before we get to excited.. lets find out how much the NEW dongle is, you just know its gonna be true :banghead:

I sure wish you'd join the InLab study club on Facebook

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Lol no thanks Mark,

I had enough pathalogical dedication to Sirona/CEREC when i was a member of CEREC doctors.

Trust me id rather not have the mill, its more about making the best of what i have (best of a bad situation) and if we can design and mill from 3shape then this can only be a good thing.

Not that i have 3shape, im still in to much debt with the inlab to afford it, but one day hopefully.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Sirona questions

Trust me id rather not have the mill, its more about making the best of what i have (best of a bad situation) and if we can design and mill from 3shape then this can only be a good thing. QUOTE]

So, at this point in time, if you have a 3shape, you can only design the coping. Then you must export it to an Inlab machine to have it milled? Is this an exclusive process?
How much does Sirona charge someone for the privilege of being able to design through 3shape, ie. licensing fee?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
no you cant even design the coping.

You can only scan the model data in 3shape, then you export the model data to sirona s/w for design and milling, i know...it sucks.

The dongle to allow import of 3shape model data is 5k in the uk, i know..it sucks even more!

So i shot an email off to 3shape the other day, asking if i would be able to mill to the original Cercon brain or the mcxl (as shown in their new brochure).

The official response i got back is NO to both at the present time. :(

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You can bring in a Cerec scan and design in 3Shape and get an STL out of it though... no support for exporting to the MCXL as of yet, unless you can bring in STLs..which I doubt you can.

And yes, they can output to the Cercon Brain mill. It has been a feature long implemented now, a little buggy, but I personally know people using 3Shape and sending files to their Degudent Brain Expert mill.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
And yes, they can output to the Cercon Brain mill. It has been a feature long implemented now, a little buggy, but I personally know people using 3Shape and sending files to their Degudent Brain Expert mill.

Yes, this is possible.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
In other words, owners of the Sirona mcxl milling machine, have to pay 5k for the privilege of importing a model scan which they can't mill on their own machines?! What's the upside to this?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
In other words, owners of the Sirona mcxl milling machine, have to pay 5k for the privilege of importing a model scan which they can't mill on their own machines?! What's the upside to this?

You get the own the baddest, most kick a$$ system on the market. Yeah, Cerec just keeps pullin' out ahead of the rest! Heard that on Facebook BTW

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
You can bring in a Cerec scan and design in 3Shape and get an STL out of it though... no support for exporting to the MCXL as of yet, unless you can bring in STLs..which I doubt you can.

So a doc can send an intra-oral Cerec scan to a 3shape lab and the lab can design and mill or export the scan to another milling center. Is this correct? I thought Cerec was a closed system.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"sending files to their Degudent Brain Expert mill. "

Brain expert: Yes

Original Brain: No, i Have the original brain. (who came up with that dumb name anyway..Brain??)

"In other words, owners of the Sirona mcxl milling machine, have to pay 5k for the privilege of importing a model scan which they can't mill on their own machines?! What's the upside to this?"

You import the data, then design the file and mill. The benefit is that you HOPFULLY get decent data to work on, rather than the crap that comes off the redcam (not sure about blue)

"You get the own the baddest, most kick a$$ system on the market. Yeah, Cerec just keeps pullin' out ahead of the rest! Heard that on Facebook BTW"

Wait for the new revolutionairy software comming this year Mark, we get multi unit design.. oooo...ahhhh :jaw:

PDC: yes you are correct, you can now send cerec data to 3shape as of just recently. So much for exclusive access to 1000's of cerec connect dentists (of which we have never been contacted by even 1). Did some limited marketing for this via email, but with 60-70 blue cam users in the whole of the UK (maybe a little more now) how much time and effort do you spend on this?..

Betime you subsidize the cost of the models which the users will no doubt expect, your doing work for peanuts anyway.

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
You import the data, then design the file and mill. The benefit is that you HOPFULLY get decent data to work on, rather than the crap that comes off the redcam (not sure about blue)

So, have any of you guys with milling machines (other than Cerecs) received any 3shape files (which were originally imported from Cerec docs using the blue-ray ios) give any feedback on the quality of the data and the end results?

PDC: yes you are correct, you can now send cerec data to 3shape as of just recently. So much for exclusive access to 1000's of cerec connect dentists (of which we have never been contacted by even 1). Did some limited marketing for this via email, but with 60-70 blue cam users in the whole of the UK (maybe a little more now) how much time and effort do you spend on this?..
QUOTE]

Hary

Hary

Reaction score

Can it be done to the " Brain first generation " and not the "Brain expert mill " ?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score

Can it be done to the " Brain first generation " and not the "Brain expert mill " ?

Are you confusing the Cercon with Cerec???

NM! You were quoting me but I thought you were posting that. As far as I know there is only the one output option for the brain expert.

Last edited:
G

Gita

Reaction score
@paulg100: if i were u. i'll try to sell ur cerec to indonesia.. :p everyone here is still deeply in love with cerec. when we buy an open system, every1 stare at us like we're insane. every1 asked: "why not buying cerec?"
there's not much open system here. most lab buy closed system.