appliance prices

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
i am doing my first table at a CE event, and wonder if i should offer a special pricing for new accounts? i wonder if my prices may be a little on the high end to begin with... any input would be great. currently i charge:
$ 45 for hawley rets
$ 5 for finger springs added
$ 65 for a schwartz
$ 80 for RPE
$ 30 for band/loop, nance, and LLA

i don't want to start looking like a cheap lab, abut don't want to chase away accounts, looking for the right balance!:confused:

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hawley's-19.24 to 41.60. depends on if it's a wrap or what have you. Basic hawley with adams-24.44

Springs- 2.60- 5.20, depends on if they are soldered or not etc.

Swartz- 31.72- 95.00, depends on if they are mounted or not. Average is about 50.00

RPE-46.80- 62.40, depends on if it is a bonded RPE, if I have to add crowns, etc.

Band and loop- 16.64 for the loop, 14.56 if I need to place a band that I supply.

Nance- 16.64

LLA- 15.29

Keep in mind I've been at it for 39 years, and am rediculously fast.
My methods are shown in some videos here.
LLA and some things may seem low, but, really, how long does it take to make a LLA??? And the cost to make it??? Or most anything ortho really. A Herbst is an exception, can't get parts that cheap,197.60 to 250.00 are what I charge. Specialty Appliances is an excelent sourse for Herbst parts.
These are factors to consider.
Mike.

L

labdude

Reaction score
What's a CE event???
You want to aquire accounts in L.A. area, do the PCSO 1 day meetings.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
i felt like some of my prices were too high, but didn't want to come in way under the other labs in my area- i've been trying to play nice!
the CE event is a continuring education progam. it is mostly attended by the staff that needs the credits to keep current with their RDA, but i have learned the staff has more influence than one would think, and a nice way to get my feet wet. i hope all goes well!!!
thank you so much for your input!
michelle
Hensley Design Orthodontic Lab Services Welcome

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
just curious, do you charge extra for special glitter, color, "designer" acrylic work?

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Michelle,
Going to events like you mention, as well as trying a PCSO, are the least agressive ways to aquire new clients. Play nice as it were. Those meetings that allow you to exhibit your lab are the best ways to aquire new clients. I have tried many ways in the past, exhibiting has always benn the most fruitful and friendliest way.
As for acrylic designs and colors, I don't charge for any "single color" appliance. I have a charge for 2 color, 3 color, and 4 color. I charge 4.16 for simple 1 shot patterns (zebra,ladybug,rainbow etc). And I charge for pictures that I offer. I do apply custom pictures from the interent for 4.16.
Any appliance that requires me to grind and or add acrylic colors to make a design start at 15.60 for that design.
I am at this moment making a new color guide and picture chart. I'll send you a copy if you like. You can use the picture part to print your own pictures for placement in appliances. I use all JBC colors. I use GL clear splint acrylic where ever clear polymer is needed. And for a clear appliances I use GL Polymer and Hygenic clear monomer.
You will find at the this site, a link to GL prices, in the ortho forum. Maybe you've already seen that??
I will set up an account for you at my billing site. I'll e-mail it to you at bananas. It will allow you in to view all of my prices.
Mike.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
currently i charge:
$ 45 for hawley rets
$ 5 for finger springs added
$ 65 for a schwartz
$ 80 for RPE
$ 30 for band/loop, nance, and LLA
Hi Lab Lady!
I charge $39.50 for basic hawley
$2.50 per f/s
$61 for RPE
$30 for lla and tpa's

ya know every area has a different price range I would think in beautiful CA your prices would be in line if not a little less then most labs in your area? Just a guess?? If there is any way to find out what your local doctors are currently paying, it will give you a much better way to gauge your pricing. I am in the midwest and my prices are probably slightly less then the local labs around my area.
But keep in mind that you want to offer something other then pricing to get you in the door, perhaps your turn around time is better then the local competition.
I do not charge extra for glitter or 2 colors, I do charge $5 for marble design. Any other design work goes for between $9-22, depending on how extensive the design.
Labdude's prices are way low, in my humble opinion, but he can crank'em out and has been doing this about 20 years longer then myself.
You found a great source for information, especially in Labdude.

Glad you joined us,
trisha

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! You guys are so nice- and have given me alot to start with.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Michelle,
I sent incomplete data. If you got your e-mail. I corrected it for you.
Anybody want to take a look???
Go to mo.winvoice.com
user name-lab lady
password- michelle

L

labdude

Reaction score
To start out.... might be wise to set prices a little low. Not real low, just, a little. Maybe match what I charge. I seem to be making a living. If you feel it's to low, do it anyway. Then, raise the prices every May by about 4% till your where you want to be.

Interesting way to look at it.
Just like shipping appliances out of state. GL, AOA, etc are making some money doing it, why not you?? Sure the profit margin is lower on shipped items. But it is lower on items you have an employee make as well. Sometimes using a shipping service is like having an employee that will drive and fly across country. If you have to do nothing but check quality and check for due dates being met, maybe you only make 10 bucks instead of 100. It that basic senario, you would have a pile of employees, and you would be making 10 bucks a day on 1000 cases.
You could even hire someone to to watch quality and due dates, only make 4 or 5 bucks a case, and show up once a week.
Just an example, but, you see how it works.
If someone is making a buck at shipping out of state, so can you.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Your prices look right to me! I would add another 5.00 onto your nances/bandloop/LLA. Personally won't do anything for under 35
But I live in a expensive area