Anyone have photos comparing glazed crowns with Lustre Paste glazed crowns

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Thanks. Better yet, if you have an actual tooth...
I told my boss about Lustre Paste, and I wanted to
show him. (I already contacted the rep., and she wanted to make an appointment to come in. This is a new job, and I'm just a grunt at the lab.

P

PJR

Reaction score
You should try insync glaze from Jensen. It is better than lustre glaze. Easier to work with

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Lustre past is simply GC glaze with stain added, with the price jacked
use FLO and mix stain into it
if glazing zir, run it on the Noritake air glaze program... comes out spankey every time

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score

Al,

I've been watching your work on DLN for a yr. or so. I must say, I'm in awe of your talent. You are truly an artisan.
I've been at this for a long time now, and still my work doesn't even come close to yours. In this post above, the difference between the glazed and unglazed units are amazing!
Did you get photos with this case, and here is why I ask: Emax HT A1 is the shade given to me let's say,,,, without photos, if I added the glaze paste as you have here, and sent this to the Doc, I'm confident they would send it back to me saying it's too dark. They seem to want chicklets in the back too, and honestly that's boring.
I love what I call the "hootiness", (lol) of how you just make these teeth look so natural.
I can only aspire to that level of artistry.
I used to be in the AACD, and I had one client who was also in the AACD that sent photos, and we did some really nice work together, and I use those in my portfolio when I go visit doctors trying to get new clients. But, I digress.

I don't have one client now that sends photos, does diagnostic wax-ups, pre-op models, or models of approved temps..
Nothing..... 6-11 C-2. I've done the hooty crowns, and get them back, sent the generic version, and it's just OK.
In Richmond, Va. ( yes, I know.... where Scott is),we have guys selling PFMs for 75.00, and a ton goes to Glidewell, so finding docs willing to go just a little further is a challenge, let alone be willing to pay extra. I haven't sold crowns that cheap since the 80's.

I'm 60 yrs. old now, and still want to get better at this trade. I work at home, by myself, so I'm chief cook and bottle washer. I still believe some Docs want that wow factor crown, and I want to know how to attract them, and increase my fees. I hate the sales end of this.... getting past the gatekeeper, etc. I feel like I'm whoring myself out.
I'm all about the work, and not about ego. I just want to be a better technician.

Any advice? I know I need to get a digital camera. I have the old film based dental cameras. Just keep knocking on doors.... very frustrating.

Thanks,

Randy

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Hi Randy !!
Are you going to be in Chicago this year ???
I'm actually doing a presentation there on Fri on how I transitioned to getting better Drs and out of area docs and marketing and presentation.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Al,

I've been watching your work on DLN for a yr. or so. I must say, I'm in awe of your talent. You are truly an artisan.
I've been at this for a long time now, and still my work doesn't even come close to yours. In this post above, the difference between the glazed and unglazed units are amazing!
Did you get photos with this case, and here is why I ask: Emax HT A1 is the shade given to me let's say,,,, without photos, if I added the glaze paste as you have here, and sent this to the Doc, I'm confident they would send it back to me saying it's too dark. They seem to want chicklets in the back too, and honestly that's boring.
I love what I call the "hootiness", (lol) of how you just make these teeth look so natural.
I can only aspire to that level of artistry.
I used to be in the AACD, and I had one client who was also in the AACD that sent photos, and we did some really nice work together, and I use those in my portfolio when I go visit doctors trying to get new clients. But, I digress.

I don't have one client now that sends photos, does diagnostic wax-ups, pre-op models, or models of approved temps..
Nothing..... 6-11 C-2. I've done the hooty crowns, and get them back, sent the generic version, and it's just OK.
In Richmond, Va. ( yes, I know.... where Scott is),we have guys selling PFMs for 75.00, and a ton goes to Glidewell, so finding docs willing to go just a little further is a challenge, let alone be willing to pay extra. I haven't sold crowns that cheap since the 80's.

I'm 60 yrs. old now, and still want to get better at this trade. I work at home, by myself, so I'm chief cook and bottle washer. I still believe some Docs want that wow factor crown, and I want to know how to attract them, and increase my fees. I hate the sales end of this.... getting past the gatekeeper, etc. I feel like I'm whoring myself out.
I'm all about the work, and not about ego. I just want to be a better technician.

Any advice? I know I need to get a digital camera. I have the old film based dental cameras. Just keep knocking on doors.... very frustrating.

Thanks,

Randy
Didn't you learn anything at Bayview?

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
Hi Randy !!
I'm actually doing a presentation there on Fri on how I transitioned to getting better Drs and out of area docs and marketing and presentation.
Al,
I wish I could be at Lab Day... Lord knows I could use some education , some being around like minded people, and get out of this funk I'm in. With work being slow, I can barely afford to pay attention.
I'd be happy just to get some more work in, but, as I said above, I hate doing sales calls. I know most of the docs around here don't even know I exist, and as someone posted.... "you can't be a guru in your own back yard." I'm also not going to get in the "race to the bottomscenario."
Do you have course materials for people to purchase, and if not, when is the next time you will be teaching anywhere, so I can plan for it?
I also wanted to ask you if the pastes you are using Is Luster paste or Emax glaze/stain combos.
I've just gotten Oliver Brix's new book, and hope to learn from that as well.

Thank you Al, for sharing your wealth of knowledge and talent with everyone at DLN. I love this site because it used to be hush hush between techs about what they charge, how they do things, and such, so it's refreshing to see everyones work here.
It still is a "dog eat dog" world out there, and everyones got their Milkbone underwear on, but thank you so much agiain.

To be "inspired" by someone, According to Dr. Wayne Dyer, means to be " in spirit" with someone.

Al, you inspire me.

Randy

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Your posts are refreshing Randy, Thanks for sharing. seeing passion in our game is inspiring.

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
Didn't you learn anything at Bayview?
RJS,
I certainly did! Great place for learning, but in my opinion, some of the "old guard" employees, well at least one, told a major lie on me, and Buddy believed him. I know that came to bite him on the ass later. I put my heart and soul in that job, moved away from my family, and yet, it wasn't enough. I would come in at five AM, and would try to leave close to 5 PM to go to the gym. There is life after the lab, and if you don't have your health, well, you have heart problems and such.
But thanks for asking Rick.

Randy

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Just jabbing at you Randy ;) - Jeff Saylors. We met a long time ago. I was at Bayview last week for a course. Hadn't talk to Buddy in 30 years. It was interesting...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi Randy !!
I am planning on being there, Al. with bells on (and pants unlike those crazy Canadians!)
really REALLY looking forward to hearing all you will share. ill try not to harass you too much

can you post the day/time of your class again? I have it written down here somewhere...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Randy, if the patients knew the difference between ok and great then they would demand better.
I've always believed that if we could market to the patients,they in turn would demand better from their drs.

A digital camera is a must have today.
Facebook is then the next step.You have to step out of your comfort zone and do sales calls and marketing.
Even the dentists have had to market to the patients.

Linked in is a good resource to connect with dentists but you have to have something to show.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Randy,
Why not make a great model or two with some "wow" crowns? Drop one off at the local offices, come back in a week and drop another off.. I think docs are numb to sales calls - they want something to see for themselves.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I always took the approach of doing a crown for them with the agreement that if they were dissatisfied in any way, to return the crown and tear up the bill and I would never bother them again.
There is no risk to them to try you out.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Rolling around on the carpet,kicking and screaming until they give you a case works for the first time too. Getting that 2nd one is tougher.

...actually come to think of it, I only got a toy from the treasure chestBebored

R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
Just jabbing at you Randy ;) - Jeff Saylors. We met a long time ago. I was at Bayview last week for a course. Hadn't talk to Buddy in 30 years. It was interesting...

Oh Hey Jeff!!!! So good to hear from you... It has been a long time... you, Matt Roberts, and I were in the same Empress class together.
I hope things are going well for you, and the lab, and I hope all is well with the family.
So you went to the "new" Bayview? LOL
I bet that was interesting.... the talk... I figures the initials RJS was Ricky..... LOL sorry, my bad.

Oh the stories I could tell you..... make you bald, or your hair curl. God had a better plan for me and I'm certainly grateful to have worked there. A lot of good techs have come and gone.
Suffice it to say..... this work can be stressful enough.

Last edited:
R

Randy Hill PhD

Reaction score
Randy, if the patients knew the difference between ok and great then they would demand better.
I've always believed that if we could market to the patients,they in turn would demand better from their drs.

A digital camera is a must have today.
Facebook is then the next step.You have to step out of your comfort zone and do sales calls and marketing.
Even the dentists have had to market to the patients.

Linked in is a good resource to connect with dentists but you have to have something to show.
RKM,
I'm looking into a Canon, like Al's set up now. two words.... cha ching!. I had two old film based cameras, which are worthless now, but I will be getting one. I sold my airplane, so I'll take some $$ from those proceeds. I paid off some bills, and now I really don't want to do local work, because pick up and delivery takes me away from the bench, so I'm contemplating which direction to take my lab until I can retire, OK, drop dead at the bench!!!!!
I have a beautiful place to work at here at home, and it's peaceful.
I agree with you that I do need a camera, I do need to step out of my comfort zone, and I do need some more eggs in my basket.
Thanks for the input, and much respect for all you do posting on this site. It's refreshing.

Last edited:
Isbill lab

Isbill lab

Reaction score
Hi Randy !!
Al what time on Friday?

Top Bottom