Another custom shade post

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I’m struggling with a custom shade. It started in the usual way of the Dr choosing A2 for the shade.

Needless to say that was way off. I eventually get to see the patient and the shade is a C2C3 but with a really translucent overlay all over the tooth.

I just can’t get the translucency over the body. It’s not helped by the patient wanting it to be some kind of perfect match to her teeth ( her natural teeth have obvious composite fillings, crack lines and the translucent layer).

So, how do I get this trans layer. I’ve tried every variation of powders I can think of but I’m not getting that sense of depth (or any trans for that matter).

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Lateral segmentation, opaque/translucent will give you depth. A halo will make the translucency pop.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Got any pictures? What materials are you working with?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Can you break the rule and use a emax HT ingot as your body base and layer a 59 value type of inc mixed 1:1 with trans? What is the prep shade?

Last edited:
A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Unfortunately the crown is on a post, so I’ve used GC MC. I’ll post up sn image later.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Getting in the right shade range will help but you’re still up against it with a PFM. I’d try my luck with emax or zirconia, even with the post.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree with CRob, try a mo ingot or zi, wash stain the core as needed then layer it.

I do like your glaze (maybe just a bit higher on this next crown?) and surface texture/morphology. Nice looking crown.

Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Strip it and use violet in C or D opapue. That will bring the value way down from inside the crown.

A

adl

Reaction score
I would use a bit of violet in your dentin and incisals

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I like to modify with a wash stain. You might even want to tone it down with D3 (or C2) in the opaque. Then first bake with dentin. Wash stain on the dentin to get it to the right value. You can put light characterization on at this point too. You might need to use a darker incisal then a clear over lay. after the second porcelain bake it will be easy to cut back if you missed the basic value/shade.

This is for PFM but it would work with pressables.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know its not going to happen, but this would be good to do a gold plated coping, dial down the value with the opaque and press a trans e.max ingot over and then trial and error with enamels. Tough one. I don't even know if Ivoclar still sells the opaques for pressing regular e.max ingots over plated copings.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i would use the vita 3 d shade guide and do a cut back on a super trans zi coping.

Top Bottom