Re-align Scanbody Data in ExoCAD?

S

Spike44

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a design for a mandibular titanium bar for a trauma patient who requires a lip plumper that attaches magnetically onto the bar. I have 3 holes designed for magnets (cut into the metal bar at 90 degree angles) to sit in on the side of the bar. I also have a 90 degree peripheral finish line for the acrylic teeth to finish to. Unfortunately when the model was initially scanned, one of the scanbodies was not aligned correctly and as a result, there is a misfit on one of the implants on the bar that was milled out.

I need to redesign the bar with a new scanbody scan, then remill. I have re-done the scan myself with new scanbody align and am trying to import the STL model of the bar (as a wax-up layer) into my new scan project file. The problem is, anywhere I have a sharp edge on my design, Exocad rounds it over and distorts it (please see photo - Green is original file. Yellow is imported STL as wax up layer). The magnet holes look terrible and the peripheral acrylic finish line is all rounded. Is there any way to get around this? I spent too long getting the 90 degree edges haha!

Ideally I would still like to work in the original project file but import new scanbody data - is this possible? I'm wondering if 3Shape software could work as an alternative? Maybe I can do somekind of export/import in meshmixer? I'm open to try anything but need some guidance.

Thanks!

66712638_2266450583410680_9055831001929875456_o.jpg

65826426_2266451003410638_4258487905372078080_o.jpg

S

Spike44

Reaction score
Okay, I was able to figure out the workaround. The way to do it is export the original model as an STL but instead of trying to import that STL file as a wax-up layer, it should be put into the library-->attachments folder, and then you add the "part" into your waxup as an attachment. The attachments somehow preserve sharp edges where as regular STL imports do not.
Just in case anyone else ran across this problem.

Also, I found that changing the view layer properties to "flat shading only" seems to remove the rounded over edges visually, but I'm not sure how this handles going forward through an export (I never tried this method).

Mike

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You can avoid the trouble of putting it in the attachment folder by using 'load from file' in Free Form/ATT/Add. Scroll down the menu to the bottom.

Top Bottom