Alloy purchases

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to have some feedback from fellow techs on alloy companies and your satisfaction with the cost and customer service. last week I called the company that I buy the alloy from for the last 20 years, the person that i usually order from is on vacation, so according to my account setup, I was told it would cost me today for an oz of semiprecious is $$$. For some reason I did not like the number she gave me , I told her that I would call next week and speak with that person I usually deal with. Half an hour later I called the same company and spoke with somebody else, the cost is almost $40.00 less an oz. it was in the afternoon not in the middle of rates difference between yesterday and today.

To say the least I was not a happy camper!!. Any of you has somthing similar or any recommendation?

I know.. I know.. What some will say, switch to all ceramic/ Zr. I am doing it slowly!!!

Last edited:
jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
I can only imagine something like that happening when you have contract pricing as part of an association or group and the rep on the phone failed to log your account number into the system first, or perhaps the rep was new and inexperienced with the ordering system. We have enjoyed great success by switching to Argen Digital (through 3Shape) and pay for alloy as we go without keeping much inventory on hand. Its been nice to reduce the exposure for loss that comes with that. We've also eliminated the labor cost to wax and cast copings--instead we have a small cost to scan and design. Since we get a bill every day, its been interesting put the metal weights & costs on to a spreadsheet and track market fluctuations.

Yes, you should move toward lithium disilicate and zirconia...we're down to 12% metal (pfm & full cast) in our lab. It reduces the market risk and is significantly more profitable, but every material has its place.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Jensen has treated us well. They will let you order 1/2oz or 1/4oz (with a "extra handling" fee though)
One thing we do with them is put the metal on a "cash back %" credit card and pull back a small amount of our costs that way. We used to do billing monthly, now it's auto billed to the card per order.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've used Jensen for over 20 years. I call and get the price as needed for the alloys I use. FGC's have disappeared, so that's no longer an issue. PFG's are occasional so I only use Superior Plus alloy at this time. I have an alloy spreadsheet that shows me where my pricing should be based on my cost. This year I think I've only purchased 8 or 9 oz of alloy. I used to have a standing order of that much every month. Pricing will change after 10:30 in the morning based on the daily quote. Maybe that's the issue you ran into. Alloy companies, from my experience, are there to sell you their product, not screw you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom