After market cutting tools

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I am just wanting to gather other peoples experiences with cutting tools that are sourced from alternate suppliers (other than those the manufacturer supplies or recommends)...
We are milling a lot of PMMA for tmj appliances etc, and our tool use is huge! We are using the DNA Motion 2 mills and I am yet to find one that looks like it will fit in the tool holder. I am fine with using the AG cutting tools and have a great bulk deal, I am looking for the experiences of others out there who have used/tried other options and had success or failure. Your experiences may save me a bit of time and money.
Cheers all Beer

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
we also have a motion 2 and use the tools from AG when milling PMMA. we havent found a tool that last longer than their tools when milling PMMA. tried carbides from Cardinal rotary tools(price is about the same) and found they dont last as long. when it comes to milling ZR we get our diamonds from sagemax. they work great. we usually get close to 400-450 units from each tool(we keep track on a spreadsheet of how many units milled on each machine to get accurate tooling count). Havent found a diamond tool that can compare to the longevity of the tools from sagemax. I would be curious too to see if anyone has found a tool not from AG for milling PMMA that would get more milled units

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Have you guys tried Sierra Razor Sharps? They were engineered specifically for PMMA. I also use the 1mm Razor sharp to cut ZR. on my VHF K4 I hit average of 400 units, not bad for 50.00 bur. Perfect fits on PMMA and it also cuts wax like no other. See if they make them for your mills. I'm not familiar with AG mills.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Any one have advice on the VHF 4-axis snap/ retention rings coming off? It's driving me crazy that a .002 cent ring coming off wastes a $50+ bur.