4-unit, 2-implant cement-retained bridge... Engaging or non-engaging abutments?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I'd rather not name names
Totally understand. I ask, because I have issues with one brand with loose screws and broken internal hexes. And, after asking around, it seems I am not the only one...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Totally understand. I ask, because I have issues with one brand with loose screws and broken internal hexes. And, after asking around, it seems I am not the only one...
I dont know if this relates, but at least with Straumann, the screws for non-engaging are slightly stronger since they have potentially more load on them without the engaged part of the abutment. Just something to consider when modifying one.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
the screws for non-engaging are slightly stronger
I have to admit, I was not aware of that. Makes sense, though. But, it doesn't relate to what I mentioned above (different company...)
;-)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Rule of Thumb:

Engaging on all abutments for Cement retained prosthesis.

Non-Engaging on all abutments for Screw Retained prosthesis. (You can get away with one of them being engaging if your Dr requests)

Note: If you modify the connection of the abutment, you will void the manufacturer's warranty. There is no need to adjust the connection, the geometry is there for a reason. If you need a non-engaging part, purchase that separate part.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Rule of Thumb:

Engaging on all abutments for Cement retained prosthesis.

Non-Engaging on all abutments for Screw Retained prosthesis. (You can get away with one of them being engaging if your Dr requests)

Note: If you modify the connection of the abutment, you will void the manufacturer's warranty. There is no need to adjust the connection, the geometry is there for a reason. If you need a non-engaging part, purchase that separate part.
Where do you order a non-engaging custom abutment?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Where do you order a non-engaging custom abutment?

Non-engaging abutments will NOT be custom abutments that I'm aware of. You will need to purchase them from the implant manufacturer. They should provide them as a stock solution.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sorry but that's a compromise not a solution.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Isn't most of what we do a compromise?
perhaps, but I still think a custom abutment is still a far better choice over modifying a non-engaging stock abutment.

If I make custom temps or healing caps, a stock abutment is a non starter.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
If I make custom temps or healing caps, a stock abutment is a non starter.
I agree, if you talk about cement retained restorations. You definitely want to have a custom emergence profile.

However, on screw retained solutions, you can create your emergence profile in Zr, if needed. I also find custom abutments an overkill, for a single, screw retained restoration. For example, I like the Ti-base solutions Nobel and Straumann have, since they offer different cuff hight.

On occasions, I find myself using modified stock abutments, instead of ti-bases, in screw ret. cases. If you have multiple abutments, Ti-bases are pretty much your only solution. Since, as mentioned above, you can't get any non engaging custom abutments (I think, for obvious reasons).

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I agree, if you talk about cement retained restorations. You definitely want to have a custom emergence profile.

However, on screw retained solutions, you can create your emergence profile in Zr, if needed. I also find custom abutments an overkill, for a single, screw retained restoration. For example, I like the Ti-base solutions Nobel and Straumann have, since they offer different cuff hight.

On occasions, I find myself using modified stock abutments, instead of ti-bases, in screw ret. cases. If you have multiple abutments, Ti-bases are pretty much your only solution. Since, as mentioned above, you can't get any non engaging custom abutments (I think, for obvious reasons).
Still waiting for non-engaginging Ti bases from Struamann, near I hope, Nobel, who knows. Dess has good alternatives, that I know work perfectly, I always bounce off the Dr. 1st and explain the situation. Hey, if the premier implant names don't provide the sloution others will with equal warranty.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Dess has good alternatives
I use Dess on a regular base. I also like 'Open Implant,' too. Although, the later has limited offerings.

D

DrG

Reaction score
Still waiting for non-engaginging Ti bases from Struamann, near I hope, Nobel, who knows. Dess has good alternatives, that I know work perfectly, I always bounce off the Dr. 1st and explain the situation. Hey, if the premier implant names don't provide the sloution others will with equal warranty.
Straumann has a non-engaging Ti base for RC: Product ID 022.0111 . Medentika too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

You have more options with singles, yes, but not with bridges. I would rather use 2 parallel custom abutments than modify 2 stocks. TI bases are only an option if the surgical gods have blessed you with ideal placements.
For singles, I stoppd using tI bases on bone levels .

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Straumann has a non-engaging Ti base for RC: Product ID 022.0111 . Medentika too.

I have used this part once on a screw retained bridge and the abutments would not retain the bridge. They are too small for anything but very short bridges where VDO is limited. I have done hundreds of screw retained implant cases using Atlantis' custom base and Straumann.s variobase....never had a crown debond except on that case.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
You have more options with singles, yes, but not with bridges. I would rather use 2 parallel custom abutments than modify 2 stocks. TI bases are only an option if the surgical gods have blessed you with ideal placements.

Can you share your reason for not using TiBases on Bone Level implants?
LCM

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

Why modify two stock abutments when you can purchase Non Engaging Ti bases that if cemented properly are perfectly passive in the interface? I don't get your argument here. They don't have to be parallel if the hex is non-engaging.

Top Bottom