4-unit, 2-implant cement-retained bridge... Engaging or non-engaging abutments?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why modify two stock abutments when you can purchase Non Engaging Ti bases that if cemented properly are perfectly passive in the interface? I don't get your argument here. They don't have to be parallel if the hex is non-engaging.
Ti bases are fine for tissue level placement but when you get a deep bone level implant ,they become too wide at the interface of the zirconia.Long deep sockets require a more gradual taper than the abrupt flare on the tibase. You have to bring the metal margin higher which the ti base cannot do.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Ti bases are fine for tissue level placement but when you get a deep bone level implant ,they become too wide at the interface of the zirconia.Long deep sockets require a more gradual taper than the abrupt flare on the tibase. You have to bring the metal margin higher which the ti base cannot do.
Im not sure what you are referring to here... the “metal margin” is immaterial if You are cementing extra orally...and you design the taper and emergence in zirconia to the requirements of the site...or are you saying something else?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
You design the taper and emergence in zirconia
That is correct, However, oftentimes, deep down in the socket, you don't have the space/width available for a Ti-base plus the thickness of the zirconia required for strength.
Long deep sockets require a more gradual taper than the abrupt flare on the tibase
Thankfully, we have different options available like: Custom cast abutments, Ti-bases with different cuff hight, stock abutments with different cuff hight, custom designed abutments etc.

That implant/abutment interface design is very important for the longevity of the implant and we want to make sure we don't violate that zone with over-built Ti-bases or abutments.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The OP is asking about a 4 unit , 2 implant CEMENT RETAINED bridge.
engaging or non?

Hands up who thinks a ti base should be considered here.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
The OP is asking about a 4 unit , 2 implant CEMENT RETAINED bridge.
engaging or non?

Hands up who thinks a ti base should be considered here.

Ti bases aren't meant for cement retained restorations. No one ever said they were meant for cement retained restorations. And why would you need non-engaging custom abutments for a cement retained bridge? Just doesn't make sense! The passivity is built into the design of the custom abutments, where the passivity of non-engaging ti bases is built around the seating surface and non-engaging geometry of the hex.

I don't know why I'm replying because I KNOW you know all of this.

Dang it! I took the bait!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ti bases aren't meant for cement retained restorations. No one ever said they were meant for cement retained restorations. And why would you need non-engaging custom abutments for a cement retained bridge? Just doesn't make sense! The passivity is built into the design of the custom abutments, where the passivity of non-engaging ti bases is built around the seating surface and non-engaging geometry of the hex.

I don't know why I'm replying because I KNOW you know all of this.

Dang it! I took the bait!
you brought up ti bases.
And why would you need non-engaging custom abutments for a cement retained bridge? Drs like to know they can remove the bridge if they have to.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
bait? wtf are you talking about.
put me on your ignore list if you are triggered over different opinions than yours.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
It was brought up way before I replied to this thread.

I leave one engaging and one with the hex removed.
Always a custom abutment.

Why modify a hex off an abutment if you're doing a cement retained restoration? Makes no sense to me. You need it to be engaging so it will not rotate under the bridge. Those custom abutments should be designed parallel and with draw. Absolutely no need to modify a hex. This is the quote I'm scratching my bald head on!

Plus, if you modify a part around the connection, then you will void the manufacturer's warranty.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
put me on your ignore list if you are triggered over different opinions than yours.

I enjoy your comments, I'm not going to ignore you.

What is the purpose of modifying the hex off one custom abutment and leaving one engaging on a cement retained restoration?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Who do you talking to RKM ???

See what I did there ?...lol...Vroam

user name

user name

Reaction score
Theres an ignore list? A button? Where is it...Ive got lots of clicking to do.Stupid

user name

user name

Reaction score
Wow. What kind of hate filled dental supremacist would do that. "I dont like what you said, so Im going to stop listening."

Hey Mods...how many ignores do I have?

Top Bottom