3shape scanner (D900) capabilities.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
cases too nice. show me a really poor impression in all its glorious flaws. show me the 4-5u free end triple tray with one tooth contact.

then i'll agree its worth considering. not before.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
car 54, I see the impression scanning as useful almost solely for KFO..

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
cases too nice. show me a really poor impression in all its glorious flaws. show me the 4-5u free end triple tray with one tooth contact.

then i'll agree its worth considering. not before.

And in my case, my main accounts have Cerec, and Omniscam, so I'm usually getting the harder, deeper prepped impressions. Sounds like I need to forgo this as a option as to why I do or don't upgrade my scanner.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Not all impressions will scan correctly. Labs that focus on impression scanning with the Medit Hybrid report 80-85% of the impressions they receive scan well. The rest require a model. Impressions with pulls or deep undercuts will not scan and require a model.

The labs also track which dentists send impressions that can't be scanned. Once identified they offer a free impression session to help the practice take better impressions.

The Medit Hybrid uses a motorized 3-axis arm that gives it more angles to scan the impression. If you are looking at a complex object you naturally move it around in your hand to see it from more sides. The 3-axis arm on the Medit Hybrid replicates this motion to give the cameras more views of the impression.
impression scan arm axis.png

-Glenn

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't go any lower then the D900L Seeing it was release right before the D1000 and D2000 with nearly the same setup inside. I would always pour a single die for verification. I haven't done impression scanning cause to me it simply sounds like a waste of time and money. But Zirkon Zahn just released Analog Scan..........

I guess I could've stopped here with this post by Sevan, as far as asking any more follow up impression scanning questions, but I'm glad I did in regard to the consistent and informative feedback you all offered to my follow up questions. I appreciate it :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Haha sorry I thought you were in germany for some reason. I meant it was only good for ORTHO (kieferorthopaede in german)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
No problem, Affinity :) I guess I also had wrong numbers $$ in mind as far as printed models. I've never sent out for one, and I thought they were cheaper than what I thought they were. Maybe I was seeing and remembering just the price for one side of a quad, and for a full arch.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Looks like the Danish guys are Nbrs Glenn ?? just wonder why Medit has the Gold scanner with 2 5 MP cameras too which is the the same price region as the 3 S ???

H

hitech.thoman

Reaction score
Scanitimpression is currently installed but when i go to create an order. under object type it only lets me choose model or digital impression. im currently running dental system 2016 with a d900L

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
3Shape will soon have new impression scanning software that will make this much more predictable. I would suggest an impression QC step prior to scanning where you may need to block out defects with wax prior to scanning.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
3Shape will soon have new impression scanning software that will make this much more predictable. I would suggest an impression QC step prior to scanning where you may need to block out defects with wax prior to scanning.
Bob,do you think that software could be applied to a Trios?
I know that question sounds redundant but having a Trios in the lab has many advantages and this would be another benefit.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Glenn, in all fairness you are comparing an older obsolete scanner to your new model. In addition, is the MSRP for the Medit including CAD software? If not, respectfully your post is misleading. I would suggest a more accurate comparative analysis to be the new E2 scanner as this is a very similar price point. It may also be interesting to toss in the E1 as it's in the $10 K range with CAD.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob,do you think that software could be applied to a Trios?
I know that question sounds redundant but having a Trios in the lab has many advantages and this would be another benefit.
Yes you would need 3Shape model builder and your good to go.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Glenn, in all fairness you are comparing an older obsolete scanner to your new model. In addition, is the MSRP for the Medit including CAD software? If not, respectfully your post is misleading. I would suggest a more accurate comparative analysis to be the new E2 scanner as this is a very similar price point. It may also be interesting to toss in the E1 as it's in the $10 K range with CAD.

Hi Bob,

The comparison was done last September which was long before the E models and Medit T-Series scanners were on the market. Please review the table in my second post:
hybrid_v_d900l_w_cad-png.23166

I actually did include the MSRP for the scanner (with free Medit scanning software) and I also included the cost of Exocad (CAD software). Then I showed a total cost with the scanner plus CAD software. 3Shape does not offer a CAD free version of any scanner models except the E1. Is that correct?

Some Medit customers use our free, bundled scanning software to scan in house and outsource CAD design. Other labs combine the Medit scanner with Exocad to scan and design in house. Labs that already use 3Shape scanners and 3Shape CAD software add Medit scanners to take advantage of features we offer and then design in 3Shape CAD.

3Shape CAD, Exocad, or no CAD (scan only). Medit gives you the flexibility to set up your CAD/CAM system according to your needs.

I will created an updated chart that compares the new Medit T300 to the E1/E2 models as well as the T500 compared to the E3 model. My goal is to keep the information as accurate as possible. If I don't have the correct info please let me know and I can update the table as needed with info you provide.

-Glenn

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Hi Bob,

The comparison was done last September which was long before the E models and Medit T-Series scanners were on the market. Please review the table again and you will see that I actually did include the MSRP for the scanner (with free Medit scanning software) and I also included the cost of Exocad (CAD software). Then I showed a total cost with the scanner plus CAD software. 3Shape does not offer a CAD free version of any scanner models except the E1. Is that correct?

Some Medit customers use our free, bundled scanning software to scan in house and outsource CAD design. Other labs combine the Medit scanner with Exocad to scan and design in house. Labs that already use 3Shape scanners and 3Shape CAD software add Medit scanners to take advantage of features we offer and then design in 3Shape CAD.

3Shape CAD, Exocad, or no CAD (scan only). Medit gives you the flexibility to set up your CAD/CAM system according to your needs.

I will created an updated chart that compares the new Medit T300 to the E1/E2 models as well as the T500 compared to the E3 model. My goal is to keep the information as accurate as possible. If I don't have the correct info please let me know and I can update the table as needed with info you provide.

-Glenn

Gents, you are a credit to the species Homo Sapiens Salesmen everywhere, well handled. It does not go unnoticed.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Bob and I don't talk sports we talk products. Beer

Top Bottom