3shape & hardware, going technical

Linda Saylor

Linda Saylor

Reaction score
hey,

im new into 3shape but the lab which i work at, is planning to expand its operations and some new pc hardware is required. I stumbled on a "official" 3shape supported systems list but it is.. frankly useless. That is because lack of variety in hardware specs. Sure, there is Intel i7 & Nvidia cards listed and that hardware is more or less something you can get from any computer parts dealer, for home use.

Naturally tried to contact 3shape nordic sales/finnish reseller and asked about questions thee, but i have not got any reply.

Anyway, since we talk about CAD/CAM I was thinking about Intel Xeons, ECC memory (error correcting, possibly buffered),Nvidia Quadro/ Ati FirePro graphics cards... I know that in theory there should not be any problems, but in my experience the practice and theory does not always meet. Do you guys have experience on running 3shape designer program on "heavier" type of hardware.

I noticed also, that 3shape scanner/manager software (and dongle service) can be installed as "network" install (so that you could use designer part on different workstations). I would appreciate some small description about how it is done, experiences, tips and possible issues which i might encounter.

Then there is some "techical" questions about 3shape communicate cloud service. But that issue can only be answered by 3shape developer/tester/software designer..

-- Jussi, a newbie from Finland.
Hello,
We have our 3Shape Dental Designer set up on a network, what kind of questions do you have? It's really not bad to set up at all. If I could upload a word doc I could show you how we set ours up. You just have to plug the dongle into either a pc or a physical host which will virtually hold your 3Shape Server and then install client versions on the pc's you want to design with, point them at the pc/server which hosts the dongle. If you want a more detailed description feel free to email me and I can send you the set up of how we did ours. As far as the heavier equipment, the biggest issue is ram, and then good video card 1280 x1024 compatible and a processor - at least I7 with 16GB ram, and if you know how to use an over clock processor like an – I7 K series or I7 Extreme Edition, and set them up for 4.5 gh then you will be good to go. The biggest problem is, what are you designing? Crowns or abutments.....

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
USB port types (1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1) should have same power delivery (20V, 5A),so usb3 port should not fry usb2 device. USB port may have been acting up. Eg. my home computer drops dead if i move (or disconnect) mouse/keyboard. That kind of stuff may have caused havoc on scanner.

And about the USBs. Techincally speaking USB ports in computer are usually designed so that 3, maybe 4 ports are connected to a "hub". Hub is something that handles data traffic and "routes" data from those usb-ports to cpu (actually its a bit more complicated, involves lanes and various controller chips, but no need to explain it further). There are so called "Slow USB" devices and High-speed USB devices (no matter what USB revision 2.0, 3.0 3.1 they are). To my understanding Slow USB devices are like normal mouse and keyboard (and perhaps some other things as well) which send commands and only bits data with those commands, but they do not send constant data stream. High-speed ones send data stream (and commands) so you can imagine that usb sticks, scanners, external hdds, etc. being suchs.

Connecting high-speed USB device to same "hub" with slow speed devices can cause problems. 3shape scanner software gives warning about having "slow" devices connected with scanner. I have e3DConnexxion Spacenavigator (a one form of mouse, which seems to be highspeed device),Wacom Cintiq 13hd touch, and 3shape Scanner and a USB stick on same "hub". They coexist happily and separate cards are not needed. if i put scanner to same "line of ports" with mouse/keyboard (eg. connect scanner to same hub with mouse/keyb),scanner software gives warnings.

Anyway.. Someone (not me) has crazy idea to have Wacom Cintiq 27QHD Touch with this rig.. but i still think gtx960 should be enough. :D

The Dongle is okay on usb3, keyboards mice etc, but they said never to connect a scanner to a usb 3, at least the older gen D700, D250, D500 D800, maybe on the newer scanner D900l, D1000, D2000 may be ok. Something about too much data that the scanners setup can't handle inbound.

This is what I was told by 3shape themselves.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
I just get a pcie usb 2.0 card for my scanner computers. That way there's no hub confusion no matter what gets plugged in the standard usb ports.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I just upgraded my HP Z230 with 32GB of ram and took the 745 to a 960 4gb, Yesterday I had a 20 unit upper lower case from a trios scan the maxed my ram out and stopped the pc in its track. 15.8gb of 15.9 was being used. FML hopefully this fixes everything.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Well Crap the upgrades really didnt do much the case still ate up all the ram. This was a true 3shape killer. Trios 3 20 units, 3 and 14 corwns 4-13 veneers then 21-28 veneers. FML!!!!!!

20160330_111723.jpg
20160330_113340.jpg

Low ram usage while prepping smilecomposer
16232.jpeg

After morphing margins, couldn't even enforce min thickness.
16239.jpeg

I left the rest for hand finishing.

So what would be the cure for this...........................................................BangheadBeer

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
$$$$$$

You obviously need to build a new hotrod.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Current PC

HP Z230
i7-4790 3.60ghz quad core
32gb RAM
GTX 960 4gb DDR5
3Shape 2015.5.0
D2000

**** if you ask me that's a pretty decent build.

**** im gonna go hex core i7 64gb ram two GTX980 Ti in SLI, SSD 500gb and spare 2x1tb HDD

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Current PC

HP Z230
i7-4790 3.60ghz quad core
32gb RAM
GTX 960 4gb DDR5
3Shape 2015.5.0
D2000

**** if you ask me that's a pretty decent build.

**** im gonna go hex core i7 64gb ram two GTX980 Ti in SLI, SSD 500gb and spare 2x1tb HDD
Not knocking your build, Trios files are huge.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Not knocking your build, Trios files are huge.

I just did another full upper arch case only used maybe 25% of the 32gb ram. No issues at all. |Actually the new upgrades made it a lot smoother. I don't think it is a hardware issue. I think the ram is leaking, Gonna run windows updates and install all the .net files. hopefully it fixes the leak.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I just did another full upper arch case only used maybe 25% of the 32gb ram. No issues at all. |Actually the new upgrades made it a lot smoother. I don't think it is a hardware issue. I think the ram is leaking, Gonna run windows updates and install all the .net files. hopefully it fixes the leak.
When you get Trios scans, can you see the scan time for each arch or scan?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
When you get Trios scans, can you see the scan time for each arch or scan?
I don't think so but I never checked.

The case is designed and sent so fast.

AlienMilling

AlienMilling

Sponsors
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg
Weapon of choice

I7 5820K (6-core)
32 gb ram 2133
SSD drives 6gb/s
Gtx 980ti

haven't seen the computer spike more than 10% of gpu/cpu resources. Ussualy is gliding at 4%.

I would say you can give this configuration atleast 3 years before new cad software/updates put a computer like this thru real work.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Just one clarification, I hope all of you advising SSD drive you are thinking about system not for storing actual scan data, and if you don't I hope you are backing up your data often.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we don't use gaming rigs on any of our CAD computers and we use the 23" Cintiq (both on exocad and 3Shape)

Sam@Cap has seen our set up.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
but if you WERE going to buy a gaming rig, I'd just go onto ibuypower.com and buy a revolt 2 - outfit it with 59XX CPU, Titan X, 16GB of 2400 Ram and the fastest SSD you can find. Small foot print, about $3500, I just bought one for playing World of Warcraft at home.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
but if you WERE going to buy a gaming rig, I'd just go onto ibuypower.com and buy a revolt 2 - outfit it with 59XX CPU, Titan X, 16GB of 2400 Ram and the fastest SSD you can find. Small foot print, about $3500, I just bought one for playing World of Warcraft at home.

I have ibuypower pc's fall apart too fast cause they were slapped together, requiring the end user to run through it and tighten up and secure everything.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Just one clarification, I hope all of you advising SSD drive you are thinking about system not for storing actual scan data, and if you don't I hope you are backing up your data often.

Yes, only as the OS drive, regular HDD's for storage.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I have ibuypower pc's fall apart too fast cause they were slapped together, requiring the end user to run through it and tighten up and secure everything.

i mean, i guess depends on what you buy? I opened up the revolt 2 i recently bought for myself and it was meticulously put together and far better looking than the Alienware Trigram design.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
i mean, i guess depends on what you buy? I opened up the revolt 2 i recently bought for myself and it was meticulously put together and far better looking than the Alienware Trigram design.

Yeah when they went to that triangle thing, i was like whaaaaaaaat? I just did a area 51 build 8 core 32gb ram and dual 980 Ti $4999.99 Hot damn! I have the CC number info for the labs american express black card......................hmmm? LOL