3Shape D900 Auto Occlusion

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
Has anyone use the new D900 scanner and the auto occlusion that comes with the software? If so is there any videos that show it in action and how accurate is the auto occlusion?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
there are some ppl here with the D900, would like to hear from them myself

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My Trios is better.;)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you mean the virtual articulator "optimize occlusion" function, it works more or less accurately when there are > 3 teeth that make contact. its a bit wonky for line-to-line and class3, but its at least helpful to show you how the bite can close.

i'd have trouble believing the d900 can establish a bite without a bite scan a la models in occlusion held with glue.

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
I am talking about the scanner. It has an auto occlusion instead of using a bite scan.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Tyler at Parkway had a D900. maybe he can help

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Tyler at Parkway had a D900. maybe he can help

That's a negative we have a D800 and D700 but hey if anyone wants to trade their D900 for a D700 or D800 I can help you out there.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have a D900 but not sure exactly what you mean?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
We scan a putty antagonist or the models articulated for the bite.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I too thought there was an auto occlusion....guess I'm out of the loop with my ancient D700

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we use it now and then when an iTero file clearly has an open bite.

it is about 85% accurate.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We have the D900. Are you talking about the function of scanning models mounted on a semi adjustable articulator with an articulator specific scan plate? If so, the process is simple. Scan the U amd L casts with the appropriate scan plate (that matches the articulator) and the models are auto articulated in the software. The scan software has built in knowledge of the exact dimensions between each U&L mounting plates.
Unfortunately the models for many semi adjustable articulators are too tall to scan in the D900. As a result 3Shape has introduced the D900L (large) scanner. Have not tried it so I don't know first hand if this solution works. But, my understanding, this is the solution for scanning models mounted on large articulators. If this works well it will be a significent advancment for scanning complex cases.
If I recall correctly the first D900L scanners are due to ship the end of this month.

R

Ray Seo

Reaction score
We have the D900. Are you talking about the function of scanning models mounted on a semi adjustable articulator with an articulator specific scan plate? If so, the process is simple. Scan the U amd L casts with the appropriate scan plate (that matches the articulator) and the models are auto articulated in the software. The scan software has built in knowledge of the exact dimensions between each U&L mounting plates.
Unfortunately the models for many semi adjustable articulators are too tall to scan in the D900. As a result 3Shape has introduced the D900L (large) scanner. Have not tried it so I don't know first hand if this solution works. But, my understanding, this is the solution for scanning models mounted on large articulators. If this works well it will be a significent advancment for scanning complex cases.
If I recall correctly the first D900L scanners are due to ship the end of this month.

Do you know if ivoclar stratos articulator is compatible with auto occlusion?
in other word, do they have transfer plate for stratos?

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
I wonder if it is similar to the method that Delcam uses;

With Delcam you have the option to first scan the upper and the lower arch separately. Next scan the facial only of the semi-articulated model. Finally, (not so) simply use the" pick three points" registration method and Wah-lah, you have an "automatically articulated model",...kinda,...ugh.

The typical Mushbite method is very fast and quite accurate provided that you properly equillibrate(what's that?) and also take into consideration that the bite recorded using a tri-bite impression tray is not always centric.

With Exocad you can shut off the Wizard momentarily and manipulate the antagonist into the best occlusion if it seems a bit wonky.

Man,..I'm starting to sound like a "Richard",...Sorry guys....:p

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not sure what articulators are included in the workflow. I todd this sdescitpion form the 3Shape website.
"Scan upper and lower models separately and the software automatically determines correct occlusion - bypassing the need for the additional bite scan. Simply mount your models in an articulator or use 3Shape’s special fixture to accurately align lower and upper models before scanning. Works with all current 3Shape scanners and any articulator including Vertex."
I have a D900L on order for use at CAP. I'll keep you all posted once it comes in.