21st Century Gold Crown

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Thanks tom. Just wasn't sure if it was called 21st and you were using Atlantic...you get it.
So total is going to be $165ish? Do you guys pay shipping back? Turnaround time? And if you have a new client gift box, can I expect a gold puck in it? These are very important questions.

No problem Riley, yes, I get it. I'm happy to answer any questions I can and call in reinforcements when I can't.

The name of the company is Strategy Milling. It is powered by Atlantic Precious Metal Refining. It's a subsidiary of the refinery. The crowns are running around 3.5 grams per on average and the alloy is about $30 US per gram. Scott and Don have more information on pricing of the milling charges. As for the turnaround time, any file received at Strategy by 12:00 Noon M-F will leave the facility the next business day afternoon. You'll have to ask Scott and Don about the gift boxes. ;)

Last edited:
rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
Dentsply casts this stuff for $25. Tom are you guys located in PA.

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Just to be a pain in the arse, what's the Vicker's hardness?

I've asked Scott and he is getting that answer for me. I do know that it has been certified by Identalloy.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a great set-up.

Last edited:
Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Less loss of material, faster milling, less tool wear.

Making square is easier,

First, we don't lose material. We recover every bit of it and recycle it, quickly.

Second, you are correct that making a square is easier, but making a square without porosity is not easier. These pucks have no porosity.

The other questions you have I will need to pass on to my brother Scott.

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Dentsply casts this stuff for $25.

OK, so a few folks have commented about the fact that companies are casting a printed or milled wax pattern. I have just one question, given all the variables in all available and affordable choices of manufacturing a crown-

Why would I want to cast it if I can mill it for less?

When I think about the difference between trying to cast a knife-edge margin or being able to mill one, milling is not only easier, but grain structure of the alloy will be consistent all the way to the margin. Think about all the variables that have to be "just so" with spruing, investing, burnout, and casting that are eliminated by milling. I can remember the tedious step of fitting after de-spruing--both of those steps are eliminated when you mill gold.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There is one major flaw with outsource cad cast .

The expansions are the same for everyone. Obviously files from all over are printed and cast together so you get the same fit for everyone.

The problem is that we all use different expansions for our cases based on our preferences. You can't just increase the cement space either.

This is the most important difference to me.

cumino

cumino

Reaction score
Would never have a gold crown milled....god, its a joy waxing up to full contour, casting and polishing it until it gleams! :0) ... Its so uncommon to get one these days, I enjoy the process and it keeps you in practice with waxing up...another art that's being lost

And yes I know the new technology is great, use it all the time, but ....

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
After 35 years ,I don't need any more practice.

Do your make own horseshoes too?:D

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'd refuse to buy this gold on the basis of two things.

1. it is endorsed by disturbed

2. COMIC SAAAAAAAAAANS!!!!!!!

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
After 35 years ,I don't need any more practice.

Do your make own horseshoes too?:D

How cool would it be to be able to make your own Horse shoes, I don't even have a horse but again I bet its another art form just like ours that is becoming a bit "long in the tooth" pun intended and being replaced with technology.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The shoe part is not so bad but making those friggin' nails is hard on the fingers!

aus.123rf.com_400wm_400_400_kvkirillov_kvkirillov0803_kvkirill66258af68c6b949e8844ebe75c50b905.jpg
aus.123rf.com_400wm_400_400_kvkirillov_kvkirillov0803_kvkirill66258af68c6b949e8844ebe75c50b905.jpg

Top Bottom