Clasp partial to fit a crown

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am interested to know your techniques on fabricating a crown to fit a clasp partial, some docs implement blue mouse registrations of clasps in relation to prepped tooth for that, but it’s not always accurate ,
I do the replication of clasps by placing the blue mouse registration over the prepped die/model and fabricate a gc risin clasps where I spray scan later as an adjacent to design the zir crown In Exocad.
Thanks in advance

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why not ask for a study model that includes the original tooth that is being crowned?
Scan it (edit : as the preprep) and copy the shape around the clasp in exocad.
No need for the pt to give up their partial and you are not rushed

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Why not ask for a study model that includes the original tooth that is being crowned?
Scan it (edit : as the preprep) and copy the shape around the clasp in exocad.
No need for the pt to give up their partial and you are not rushed
[and copy the shape around the clasp in exocad.] you mean inside the clasp? could you elaborate further:
since I don't have the partial obviously or difficult to replicate clasps in die stone from imp. [ scan as a pre-up model?] Thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
[and copy the shape around the clasp in exocad.] you mean inside the clasp? could you elaborate further:
since I don't have the partial obviously or difficult to replicate clasps in die stone from imp. [ scan as a pre-up model?] Thanks
I would assume that ,in exocad ,you can scan a study model or diagnostic wax up and designate that as your prepreparation.
The software copies that shape and allows you to morph your design to the preprep shape with any morphological improvements required.
The preprep takes the shape under the partial.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You're doing good, Creeper.
Thanks for starting our October in your usual fashion, it wouldn't be the same without that, without you :)

Jeepers-creepers-2001-09-gjustin-long.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the dr has a " template" of the original tooth that is used to make the temporary crown.
This temp has to fit under the partial as well.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I would assume that ,in exocad ,you can scan a study model or diagnostic wax up and designate that as your prepreparation.
The software copies that shape and allows you to morph your design to the preprep shape with any morphological improvements required.
The preprep takes the shape under the partial.
Good info, I am not that expert in preciso Exocad, but I’ll try to check further, I miss username too we have the same system that we used to discuss

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am just kidding 2th you didn’t abandoned us, but that was long long time ago😳😊, I have been doing that , but I was wondering if there are different ways to follow

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I am just kidding 2th you didn’t abandoned us, but that was long long time ago😳😊, I have been doing that , but I was wondering if there are different way to follow
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I ask my Dr.'s doing these type of cases to take a PVS imp of the tooth to be prepped before prepping. Then I morph to that pre-op in Exocad and never had an issue ever. That of course depends on the tooth in question is not broken down too much. Sometimes I just polish these crowns to not cause fitting issues by glazing. ( select 1 shade lighter if polishing only)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I am interested to know your techniques on fabricating a crown to fit a clasp partial, some docs implement blue mouse registrations of clasps in relation to prepped tooth for that, but it’s not always accurate ,
I do the replication of clasps by placing the blue mouse registration over the prepped die/model and fabricate a gc risin clasps where I spray scan later as an adjacent to design the zir crown In Exocad.
Thanks in advance
That is how we do it with a impression but it's soooo much easier if the Doc has a scanner and sends you the files instead. Digital workflow is far superior when it comes to crowns under partial versus traditional impression.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
That is how we do it with a impression but it's soooo much easier if the Doc has a scanner and sends you the files instead. Digital workflow is far superior when it comes to crowns under partial versus traditional impression.
i do get Trios scans, so what’s needed from Doc. is a separate partial scan or a scan of partial over preped tooth? Thanks

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I ask my Dr.'s doing these type of cases to take a PVS imp of the tooth to be prepped before prepping. Then I morph to that pre-op in Exocad and never had an issue ever. That of course depends on the tooth in question is not broken down too much. Sometimes I just polish these crowns to not cause fitting issues by glazing. ( select 1 shade lighter if polishing only)
Could you show your steps on how to do that in Exocad? Thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It was mentioned in the 2nd post but that's ok ,you xocysts are a bit slow. Must be all that purple haze.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
It was mentioned in the 2nd post but that's ok ,you xocysts are a bit slow. Must be all that purple haze.
Good morning rkm, but that was in 3shapesh I think😊 don’t let 2th hear you

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
i do get Trios scans, so what’s needed from Doc. is a separate partial scan or a scan of partial over preped tooth? Thanks
A few ways to do it digitally, but what we have found the best way is have the Doc make two extra scans...have them scan the partial by itself and scan the partial in place around the prep (after it's been prepped) while the partial is fully seated. They won't be able to capture everything in the partial prep scan and that is where you have just the partial scan. Then let all that snap align together in exocad. I hope other folks read this and would love to hear there workflow as well.

Top Bottom