My way to scan and design crowns under a partial

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I started using this method recently and it seems to work really well. I am open to easier methods if you got one!

I have the doctor take two impressions: one is just of the prep and the other has the partial in place. When we get the impressions into the lab, they are poured up normally. Once the models are ready, I get a little SilTec putty and cover the prep site with it and then press the partial down into place on the model. After the putty sets up, I trim it and remove the partial. Now I have a "waxup" of the partial's clasps and rest seat to scan. I also should have a decent impression of the prep to scan separately. Here are some pics. IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5529.JPG IMG_5527.JPG

When I go to design, I just use the waxup as a guide to make sure that the crown will fit.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yup, I used to do this with the d700 scanner. But know with our d2000 and neighborhood scan no need. But there are a few cases the partial is in the way too much I just have it hand wax and copy wax scan it.

You could set the putty as an opposing as well and cut to opposing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I like that idea Sevan. I will try that on my next one. Thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres a lot of ways to slice this. good on you for innovating a way that suits you.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yeah that's the best way for that scanner, you can try to scan with partial on with die, enable neighborhood scan and see the results as a test. But like I said it depends on the partial, if no bucal clasp should be fine, worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I started using this method recently and it seems to work really well. I am open to easier methods if you got one!

I have the doctor take two impressions: one is just of the prep and the other has the partial in place. When we get the impressions into the lab, they are poured up normally. Once the models are ready, I get a little SilTec putty and cover the prep site with it and then press the partial down into place on the model. After the putty sets up, I trim it and remove the partial. Now I have a "waxup" of the partial's clasps and rest seat to scan. I also should have a decent impression of the prep to scan separately. Here are some pics. View attachment 25589 View attachment 25590 View attachment 25591

When I go to design, I just use the waxup as a guide to make sure that the crown will fit.

Could you please explain further, I am working on #s20,21 under a partial to be zirconia crowns, if you treat the putty as an opposing, how do treat the real upper opposing.I have Exocad. Thanks

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Could you please explain further, I am working on #s20,21 under a partial to be zirconia crowns, if you treat the putty as an opposing, how do treat the real upper opposing.I have Exocad. Thanks
3Sheeple won't be of much help to you.
Here is one way to set it up Tayeb.
DoubleJawPartialTest.png

The lower is the jaw scan(prep),the upper is also a jaw scan in this set up.
Import the partial scan as the antagonist.

With this set up you have the opposing arch for occlusion and then you can cut the intersections to the partial
since it is imported as antagonist. The crowns will conform to the clasps and rest seats. Then go back and use
free form to add just a bit to the clasp tip contact areas on the crowns.

DoubleJawPartialTest2.png

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
3Sheeple won't be of much help to you.
Here is one way to set it up Tayeb.
View attachment 25597

The lower is the jaw scan(prep),the upper is also a jaw scan in this set up.
Import the partial scan as the antagonist.

With this set up you have the opposing arch for occlusion and then you can cut the intersections to the partial
since it is imported as antagonist. The crowns will conform to the clasps and rest seats. Then go back and use
free form to add just a bit to the clasp tip contact areas on the crowns.

View attachment 25598
Thanks Sam, I am doing it now.

Last edited:
S

S.A.Collins

Reaction score
When I get a crown under a partial case I scan the model with the partial in place after I spray it with some powder so it will pick it up, then scan die as usual. With my scanner it usually will pick up enough info. After you manually align and trim the die with the model just use the tool in 3shape(red lines? idk correct name) to see where the partial is touching the crown and manually sculpt. The majority of the time I get a great result with a partial that snaps into place. If that fails the last resort is to wax up the full countour crown with partial in place like you would if it were a gold crown under a partial. Take the single die with waxup and put it in the scanner and create a new case in 3 shape, select frame-then select waxup, no antagonist, no neighborhood. Scan the die with wax up and follow instructions, it will then tell you to scan without waxup without moving the die. It will make an exact duplicate of that crown now and you just mill it in zirconia. I have a friend that doesn't have a scanner or mill and anytime he has a zirconia case he waxes it up full contour and I scan it for him and mill it out of Zirc for him. I'm blown away by how exact the milled result is to the scanned crown. Some of you may remember Kenneth Guthrie, I worked with him for a little while and he does a lot of full mouth cases. He waxed up 28 units, and flew down for a weekend and we did the whole case like this out of HT Zirc and he and the Dr loved it.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
When I get a crown under a partial case I scan the model with the partial in place after I spray it with some powder so it will pick it up, then scan die as usual. With my scanner it usually will pick up enough info. After you manually align and trim the die with the model just use the tool in 3shape(red lines? idk correct name) to see where the partial is touching the crown and manually sculpt. The majority of the time I get a great result with a partial that snaps into place. If that fails the last resort is to wax up the full countour crown with partial in place like you would if it were a gold crown under a partial. Take the single die with waxup and put it in the scanner and create a new case in 3 shape, select frame-then select waxup, no antagonist, no neighborhood. Scan the die with wax up and follow instructions, it will then tell you to scan without waxup without moving the die. It will make an exact duplicate of that crown now and you just mill it in zirconia. I have a friend that doesn't have a scanner or mill and anytime he has a zirconia case he waxes it up full contour and I scan it for him and mill it out of Zirc for him. I'm blown away by how exact the milled result is to the scanned crown. Some of you may remember Kenneth Guthrie, I worked with him for a little while and he does a lot of full mouth cases. He waxed up 28 units, and flew down for a weekend and we did the whole case like this out of HT Zirc and he and the Dr loved it.

I do this also. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score

I am going to try this next time. Thanks!

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
when we do crowns under partials, We get two impressions and the partial. One impression is taken without the partial(will be working model) and the second impression is taking with the partial(for reference). We use our open technologies Reveng scanner and scan the model from impression one with the partial fitted on the model. After we have gone through all steps in wizard, we then free scan the partial by itself and then when designing in ExoCad we bring the partial scan in as a generic visualization mesh so then we can design the crown to the scan and get a perfect location of clasps and rests. has been working really well. Also our model system is that we have solid models for our working models and scan separate dies to correlate in software and then we get perfect tissue adaption since our working models are not cut. hope this helps

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
there isnt any audio, but by appearances it seems to utilize the 'close holes in preparation' option in the 'save' menu of scanitrestoration.

at that point just placing the denture in some putty to scan and then aligning it.

noaddhere1

noaddhere1

Reaction score
Sorry havent been here for a while. Its a lab scanner, we spray metal and it scans just fine

Top Bottom