Tips and Tricks for your lab

B

bee gee

Reaction score
Hey guys, after posting a picture of my grinding box in another thread, I thought I would like to share a few other things that I have picked up that might come in handy to make life easier and save a bit of money too. I'd like to hear what you guys have come up with too.

My grinding box. It's a suggestion/ballot box I picked up from eBay. I just cut a hole in the front for the suction and holes rectangular holes in the sides for my arms.
View attachment 10948

Detol: I use this as a separating agent from my die stone to my base stone. Works really well and it's pretty cheap.
View attachment 10949

I love this little gadget! Just run your investment packet through it and it cuts like butter. No need for scissors or running a scalpel blade along your work bench.
View attachment 10950

I cut slits in the carpet to run my cords. I hate cords everywhere it just looks messy and can get in the way and the pedals pretty much stay put. You can always put some velcro on the pedals so it will stick to the carpet.
View attachment 10951
View attachment 10948 View attachment 10949 View attachment 10950 View attachment 10951

Absolutely awesome!! congratulations!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you use the WonderFormers, instead of using a plastic piece or glass piece to hold them, grab a beaten broken case pan. Fits right over the vibrator like it was made to happen. The playdoh holds it perfectly still on the pan bottom.
WonderFormer Pan Holder.jpg

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If you use the WonderFormers, instead of using a plastic piece or glass piece to hold them, grab a beaten broken case pan. Fits right over the vibrator like it was made to happen. The playdoh holds it perfectly still on the pan bottom.
View attachment 30362
So what did the case pan do to you that you had to beat it until it broke?!?!?! Laugh

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
View attachment 30362
At like $1.69, I like to use broken lab pans as filler in the waste basket. Works great.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Where are you finding them at that price?
I made that up. The last ones I bought were 19.99 a dozen from Pearson’s. I don’t know what that works out to.
Edit....Actually I was close, it’s $1.66.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Canning jar picker upper = rubberized sturdy Model holder when under hot running water to dewax.
Commercial 35 cup coffee pot providing the 205deg F water.

View attachment 30368
I use those to lift hot flasks out of the boilout tank.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I did PM him and tell him that Ron sold them as well, just not in the color I use.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Just in case no one else has thought to use one: No, not the Pindex. The magnetic tool bar.

upload_2018-7-28_10-44-13.png

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The old ones are nice, the newer ones I'd bought don't seem to have as much magnetic force.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
More of a 'don't be stupid like me' than a real trick.
Don't get in the habit of having your bench trash can directly under the edge of the bench. Gravity is a real joker.
Double gloves, and yeauk are not productive or pleasant ways to spend time.