Full Contour Zirconia

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Zenbook,,,,still not a macbook,,,,,right? and most docs are probably using iproducts,,,iphones, ipads, macbooks; while most techs are using pc's and iknockoffs...right.;) The clinical cost of crowns have gone uppppppp! and keeps going up, yet most offer an alternative " more esthetic" (tooth shaded) solution that cost more to produce than the full cast NP its replacing,,,,,and sell for less. Now lets consider the cost tech investment the cost of scanners, mills, evac systems, sintering furnace, supplies mentioned earlier, software, and the list goes on. The challenges with the time and effort it takes to achieve shades, having to stain 2 or 3 times to achieve something acceptable. With zr pucks in the $300 to $400 price range and an average 25 units per puck, makes it $12 to $16 in material cost per unit alone. I dont get it.

Back to zenbook man (eye):D Within the last month two very close family friends solicited an opinion from me regarding the price quoted for potential dental treatment. Both would need either a single implant or a 3 unit bridge. Cost? 4K - 6K for a 3 unit, around the same. Lower price was at the university. Do we see any similarities in the cost for either modality in treatment......Yes! Either modality incur the same cost to patient.

So in this scenario the patient pays the doc $6000 for a 3 unit bridge and the doc pays you $300. Never mind he's too cheeep to consider an IOS so you still have to pour models, and scan and design on a system thats cost you around 20K to 35K; mill in your 50K mill, using your $400 dollar puck, sintering in your 10K oven,,,, ugh,,,,wait! I forgot to stain and before sintering and thats a hit or miss, and yes I have to stain and glaze twice maybe3 times......Really? Well doc will walk away $5703.00.... no wonder they can afford macbooks.:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: :D:D:D:D

I would have to do 57 more units to make up the difference,,,wait I still have to consider material cost and my cost with my investment in technology,,,, guess i have to wait to buy my macbook. Double,,,:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
such is life..... on the flip side, i'm happy i don't have to deal with patients...ever

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
so...how far out of occlusion are you guys making your full zirconia crowns? I'm hearing people defaulting to almost 0.3mm out of occlusion.... but i can't stomach doing something like that...

but then again, maybe i should....we get doctors screaming at us because apparently dialing in 0.03mm out is still not enough...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
so...how far out of occlusion are you guys making your full zirconia crowns? I'm hearing people defaulting to almost 0.3mm out of occlusion.... but i can't stomach doing something like that...

but then again, maybe i should....we get doctors screaming at us because apparently dialing in 0.03mm out is still not enough...

You need to equilibrate your models if scanning from a stone cast, because the periodontal ligament is not in compression.
In our experience with intraoral scanners, the ligaments are in compression when the bite is scanned leading to more accurate occlusal contacts.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Bet I can make you cry,, or scream... F**k GW low prices, that is where it all started..

Step into my time machine,,,,,,back in 1976 pfms prices were $45.00.. inc HN or Noble alloys, and doctors marked our prices x 3
That was the general rule of thumb back then...
Yep a pfm would cost the patient $150.00 and the docs bitched about their 70% overhead cost to run their practice.... lol

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
You need to equilibrate your models if scanning from a stone cast, because the periodontal ligament is not in compression.
In our experience with intraoral scanners, the ligaments are in compression when the bite is scanned leading to more accurate occlusal contacts.

so what is your occlusal offset from a pour up vs IOS scan

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you take the time to presinter your d2 the right shade, it saves the time of glazing it twice.. Its faster than an oven cycle. Also, I use the INC invivo stain from GC, its a lavender color, its great for D shades and 3D shades.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
If you take the time to presinter your d2 the right shade, it saves the time of glazing it twice.. Its faster than an oven cycle. Also, I use the INC invivo stain from GC, its a lavender color, its great for D shades and 3D shades.

So now I have to buy an invivo stain kit also?:rolleyes::D

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score

from about 2 years ago, glidewell shared in a meeting they were setting it at .5mm out. I'm setting mine at .32 and then measure in crosssection an it turns out to be .34-.38. Doctors are saying they don't adjust and occlusion is still in great function...which for other doctors I'm sure it would be extremely out of occlusion. On the model I may have to buff out a high spot once in a while.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
wow, ok there we go. i thought i was going nuts because we were going further and further out...we're essentially at 0.17mm and 0.25 for cases that the doctor wants it completely out of occlusion.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So now I have to buy an invivo stain kit also?:rolleyes::D
No this is actually an add on stain. Im pretty sure you can buy it seperately, which you can most stains... Its the Incisio. But if you want a ZR invivo kit, I have one to sell!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
from about 2 years ago, glidewell shared in a meeting they were setting it at .5mm out. I'm setting mine at .32 and then measure in crosssection an it turns out to be .34-.38. Doctors are saying they don't adjust and occlusion is still in great function...which for other doctors I'm sure it would be extremely out of occlusion. On the model I may have to buff out a high spot once in a while.
I'm in the same boat. Was cutting much less and getting crowns back ground flat? Lol. I'm at .3 for some and .33 for others. They say still functional when patient bites down etx..

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
We have doctor's that request almost 1mm out of occlusion and never complain about there cases. I don't get it, but that's what they want.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
wow....it almost feel irresponsible...like i'm guilty of causing the opposing tooth to erupt....wtf

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
wow....it almost feel irresponsible...like i'm guilty of causing the opposing tooth to erupt....wtf

stop caring so much! Go buy some lead filled zr from china and make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! Duh!!*

*all comments in reply to "eyeloveteeth" are strictly fictitious and sarcastic statements and are meant to derive a laugh, chuckle, smile or mere smirk from the reader. The authors views towards china and lead in dental restoring materials are very serious and only turn light hearted when making fun of china and it's low standards.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
wait...who said China has low standards?????????????? oh wait... i'm short... nevermind