Zirconia degrading in the oral environment

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
About 5 minutes before I created this profile here. A co-worker reminded me of something he said to me once before. That casting is so easy a monkey can do it. (I cast every morning). It's all in good fun.
The misspelling is harder to explain. basically we worked with a guy who pronounces anything with "U" in it as a "O"...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
About 5 minutes before I created this profile here. A co-worker reminded me of something he said to me once before. That casting is so easy a monkey can do it. (I cast every morning). It's all in good fun.
The misspelling is harder to explain. basically we worked with a guy who pronounces anything with "U" in it as a "O"...

Like and Informative. Thanks for letting us in on that one :)

So I must be the worst monkey of all, when late at night, being tired, I put the ring in the casting machine backwards, and all the metal flew off it like the explosion of the death star in Star Wars.
It really was quite spectacular :eek: :D

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score

So I must be the worst monkey of all, when late at night, being tired, I put the ring in the casting machine backwards, and all the metal flew off it like the explosion of the death star in Star Wars.

You should let one shoot without a ring in there at all sometime...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

You should let one shoot without a ring in there at all sometime...
3rd or 4th time I cast, I put the ring in backwards -y'know hole away from the crucible- when casting 3 FCG crowns. Lost a shirt and pants on that one, Boss lost $700 of gold, but not his temper. He was expecting it eventually. You'll never do it twice!

Edit: I did however forget to make sure the pin dropped a few times, and forgot to wind it a few times... Never cast the ring in the wrong metal though. That stunt was reserved for the boss, and I knew better than to laugh, well, out loud.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
3rd or 4th time I cast, I put the ring in backwards -y'know hole away from the crucible- when casting 3 FCG crowns. Lost a shirt and pants on that one, Boss lost $700 of gold, but not his temper. He was expecting it eventually. You'll never do it twice!

Yep, do that once, and for the rest of your career you're (I'm) always double checking for the sprue end.

Or, the time where it wasn't quite in the cradle all the way and the ring flew out when I let it rip. That one gets your attention, too.

Now, I really know I'm in trouble when I get it backwards for a emax press.

Sorry, Baotree, I'll try to not hijack your thread anymore :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
lol..Optimistic. Let's hope :)

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
Legend has it. That a lab in my home town, that was built in a house, had the casting room in the attic. The grizzled old caster let one rip one day with the ring in backwards. The Death Star explosion (great analogy btw) ensued. molten metal than fell in the openings below the attic walls down into the walls below. Many fire trucks showed. Fortunately no one was hurt but, there was a lot of water damage.

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
apologies for my roll in the hijack

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Current dental zirconia materials DO NOT show long..very long term degradation in the oral environment through accelerated long term studies and validated by clinical follow up, by 3M and other leading dental zirconia suppliers.
Respectfully, I have spoken with many ceramic engineers that all work for zirconia manufacturers. All have said the HT 1100 MPa generation materials do loose flexural strength over time. Here is a published article that confirms this notion. Interesting, 3M zirconia was one of the sample materials used in the study.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022391312601668
Please note, in this study there was no longer term data that related to 5 years but the degradation was still significant.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
We all had this discussion about zi failing about ten years ago that in about 5 years the zi world was going to end.now its 10 years that we are going to have problems .I think if you are buying cheap zi out of places like china where you cant be certain whats in it you will have probs.i have had many samples sent to me by companies using Chinese manufactures and honestly the blanks were all over the place fit strength colour all poor..the study published that scared everybody about low temp thermal degradation was later found to have not been vallid by an italian guy liugini or something like that but nobody remembers that.Ivoclar went to town on zi because of emax .If you are worried about low temp degradation dont use emax either because when they did the same testing process on emax it was even worse.I have used old zi new zi super trans zi i have layered it i have done full contour and after 17 years of using ZI yes 17 years because thats when procera started selling Zi.Im not too concerned i have had less failures than when i was doing vmks .whats the alternative gold?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Right on Grantoz! [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If anything happens ,we can always blame the robots.:rolleyes:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If anything happens ,we can always blame the robots.:rolleyes:
I make it a point not to irritate objects that can drill metal and have no morals. And don't anthropomorphize the robots, they don't like it.

Top Bottom