Wax up of the week

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
John Wilson

With the loss of most of the schools for dental technicians down to 10 for 2014. Some mentoring seems to be in place, although you can always join the army and get some nice training there. I am currently mentoring 4 techs (3 coming from the C&B & Ceramist no work side). I have been using phone, I-Pad & Conversations on DLN or one of the FB sites.
I find that although C&B has great documentation for any problems that arrive, Removable has very little, and it only takes a little thing to have a Denture not process properly and have 10to15+hrs lost rather than the hour or so when you mis-cast a crown, or have to strip for a new shade. i quote one of my C&B friends "Dam these things are complicated!"

:) gotta keep passing on the know-how and tricks'n'tips

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Karl that was some nice photography of your wax-up, I'm not so good at the pictures but maybe you might enjoy a story.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Last Tues day I went in for some minor surgery, so I was a little out of it for a day or so.
Saturday evening a DDS leaves his temple and drops off a case and said "it's ok I don't need it until Monday." me I Stopped the Perkoset Thursday as I prefer a little discomfort to the side effects.
I open the box up, instructions pick best model articulate & make immediate for Monday. Use Vita A2 .
th_5amodels_zps2a3bb837.jpg
[/IMG]
I based the model, articulated it and started to do an immediate. You know cut the teeth off.

Then I started setting the teeth. Red wax is easy to see on teeth, and pt not seeing. Lower teeth are a little out so I couldn't make a perfect 7&8 set & I wasn't able to contact DDS for any clarification.

th_5dSetting-Up_zps456da1c7.jpg

I invested the case & processed it.
th_5fInvested_zps99666b79.jpg

I remounted & checked bite & milled in a little nicer. then shaped it & polished the immediate.
th_5gProcessedampremounted_zps5e1d1838.jpg
th_5hProcessedampRemounted_zps249c0fc2.jpg

I worked Saturday night & Sunday, I was a bit tired but ya got to work, and I had Part of Tuesday & Wednesday off.
Well I delivered the finished case Monday morning, Monday afternoon the DDS calls and complains about the plaster/ mounting charge because his assistant had poured the models, (she didn't articulate and the models were mostly short) & he complained about the rush weekend charge.

Last edited:
Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I'm sorry Ajel but I probably would have lost that account....if he had the nerve to complain about an articulation charge and a WEEKEND rush charge, I probably would have lost it, and told him where he could go and take his work with him!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Doris, I started in labs in 67, started my lab in 79, 2014 is my 35th self employed year, over the past 2 years I have been making these DDS minor actors. I won't be dealing with him in 2014, he and some others are in replacement stage (I don't get rid of something until I have a replacement, just me I guess). This old chassis just can't put in the hours anymore. That said this situation is not all that rare, and as a teaching forum some younger techs should know about this. Although I guess it is a wax-up of the weekend.
Nice picture Danny, that's wax do you floss and leave spaces for processing, my weekend had no try-in, so I didn't have to make it so pretty. IPN's do have a bit of the cadaver look to them.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use Vlc plates from Lincoln Ajel. Used to use profibase but these are thinner so it is easier to setup on.
Wish I could, that would be so much easier than to have to process baseplates. I'm one of the 5% of the population tat is allergic to VLC materials. Although on the plus side the Vinylcron microfit I use I can grind down to paper thin without it breaking or cracking. Eugene you have some nice pictures on your FB page. What were he tracers I saw that U had used in there?

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Wish I could, that would be so much easier than to have to process baseplates. I'm one of the 5% of the population tat is allergic to VLC materials. Although on the plus side the Vinylcron microfit I use I can grind down to paper thin without it breaking or cracking. Eugene you have some nice pictures on your FB page. What were he tracers I saw that U had used in there?
Not sure what tracers are Ajel.

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Intra oral tracer, plate on lower screw marker on upper, used for difficult patients for centric, occlusion relationship. I'm running one now maybe I'll trace some pictures. I thought I saw one on tour FB.[/q
Intra oral tracer, plate on lower screw marker on upper, used for difficult patients for centric, occlusion relationship. I'm running one now maybe I'll trace some pictures. I thought I saw one on tour FB.
my Gothic arch tracer. Sorry I didn't understand at first. I use the edentulous one from Candulor. It's really nice.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Someone should take the time and outline the steps for this procedure with pictures and describe the reson why this is done. I elect Eugene. :)

Hope all of you are off and enjoying a moment of relaxation like I am.

Happy Holidays

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Someone should take the time and outline the steps for this procedure with pictures and describe the reson why this is done. I elect Eugene. :)

Happy Holidays
If you give me the list of which steps I can do the pics.

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays John! Nice suggestion.

appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Last Tues day I went in for some minor surgery, so I was a little out of it for a day or so.
Saturday evening a DDS leaves his temple and drops off a case and said "it's ok I don't need it until Monday." me I Stopped the Perkoset Thursday as I prefer a little discomfort to the side effects.
I open the box up, instructions pick best model articulate & make immediate for Monday. Use Vita A2 .
[/IMG]
I based the model, articulated it and started to do an immediate. You know cut the teeth off.

Then I started setting the teeth. Red wax is easy to see on teeth, and pt not seeing. Lower teeth are a little out so I couldn't make a perfect 7&8 set & I wasn't able to contact DDS for any clarification.

th_5dSetting-Up_zps456da1c7.jpg

I invested the case & processed it.

I remounted & checked bite & milled in a little nicer. then shaped it & polished the immediate.
th_5gProcessedampremounted_zps5e1d1838.jpg
th_5hProcessedampRemounted_zps249c0fc2.jpg

I worked Saturday night & Sunday, I was a bit tired but ya got to work, and I had Part of Tuesday & Wednesday off.
Well I delivered the finished case Monday morning, Monday afternoon the DDS calls and complains about the plaster/ mounting charge because his assistant had poured the models, (she didn't articulate and the models were mostly short) & he complained about the rush weekend charge.
Aj. My friend who ons an ortho lab called me up last Friday with a similar problem. He had a rush f/f immediates case due by Monday morning. His outsourcing lab said no to him and he was stuck. Guess who was at the bench the whole weekend? Here is the case. image.jpg