Translucent white milling wax

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hello :)

Does anyone have an idea of a translucent white milling wax for diagnostic wax-ups? I design the pontics in CAD and then mill them in a wax puck, but they always are to white compared to the rest of the wax-ups that are hand waxed in white wax. I don't want to over-prep the other units to mill them, as at times that would be more work than needed.

I use TD Dental white wax, Argen's and Whip Mix lifelike wax (but I think that's been discontinued) but they're all to opaque and white. Any ideas? My thought would be to duplicate the wax-up in a white ortho plaster for a better look.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score

Does anyone have an idea of a translucent white milling wax for diagnostic wax-ups? I design the pontics in CAD and then mill them in a wax puck, but they always are to white compared to the rest of the wax-ups that are hand waxed in white wax. I don't want to over-prep the other units to mill them, as at times that would be more work than needed.

I use TD Dental white wax, Argen's and Whip Mix lifelike wax (but I think that's been discontinued) but they're all to opaque and white. Any ideas? My thought would be to duplicate the wax-up in a white ortho plaster for a better look.
Do you have a printer? For some of our waxups, I design them in 3shape and then merge the design with the model in the 3d printer software so I print out a model of the diagnostic waxup.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
No printer yet, good idea though.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
No printer yet, good idea though.
If I was still doing waxups by hand, milling out the pontics sounds like a great idea. Hated building those up by hand.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yep, it gives me a wonderful head start (splinted pontics).

pontics.jpg

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

Hey Car

First option, in my eyes, would be doing all digital and get the models printed.

Now, when I did the Wax ups by hand, I made silicon molds of denture teeth or nice looking models. I then would fill in the the required tooth/teeth with the same wax I was using for the wax up. And, voila, there you have your pontics or even occlusion...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hey Car

First option, in my eyes, would be doing all digital and get the models printed.

Now, when I did the Wax ups by hand, I made silicon molds of denture teeth or nice looking models. I then would fill in the the required tooth/teeth with the same wax I was using for the wax up. And, voila, there you have your pontics or even occlusion...
If I had to send out to get the models printed, would it be quicker and cheaper just to do an alginate impression and pour up the wax-up? I'm usually running behind, so until I get a printer, maybe the best option. This is for an 82 year old man, so it's not so much for presentation's sake, as some of the other cases are.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you to all who replied, I appreciated it :)