wacom intuos pro

A

aqdental

Reaction score
hi
just wondering if anyone is using the intuos pro (touch) tablet with exocad.
Just looking for feedback.
Thank you

C

CovakorDTS

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same ... intuos pro with Partialcad

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Looks gimmicky..
What solution does this costly accessory provide? Or does it simply provide a feeling of technological superiority to the user?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Looks gimmicky..
What solution does this costly accessory provide? Or does it simply provide a feeling of technological superiority to the user?
There’s a reason they are used by graphic designers all over the world lol. I’ve personally wanted to try them out for carving in more detailed anatomy at the end of designing. I think using it throughout the whole design process wouldn’t be worth it, but it would certainly have an advantage over a mouse and keyboard for making more detailed anatomy. There’s cheaper versions than wacoms too, my wife’s got one from a different company for graphic designing, and it’s the same thing, but a third of the cost.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It may also be easier and more accurate in using a stylist compared to a mouse cursor for marking margins, in 3Shape at least.

C

CovakorDTS

Reaction score
It DOES looks and sound gimmicky and takes time to learn. With the stylus pen, it's a more natural feel. Partialcad and Wacom isn't fully integrated and there's too many customizations possible with the pen, thus making the learning curve high.

Had exocad been designed from the start with a stylus pen in mind (and not a mouse and keyboard),I think the experience would much different. I'm not for the pen atm, I'm simply open to the possibility of reducing muscle fatigue while trying to enhance productivity. Leave ego at the door, controlling for costs matter more over the long term.

The mouse in particular can cause a lot of stain for someone who is designing 10-14 or more partials a day AND requires high degree of accuracy for all areas of the frame.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive got a xp pen 15" I would reccommend as similar to the wacom intuos, I havent used it as much as I thought , but it is beautiful to design with. One thing you might want to add is a hdmi splitter so you can keep your monitor on, most of these are used as the monitor with the hdmi running to the tablet, also you want your mouse and keyboard to still work.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Drawing tablets are only useful if you're able to draw things with a pencil better than you can with a mouse, it may or may not be a good fit for you and what you want to do with it. I know a senior graphic designer who only uses theirs occasionally because the mouse offers finer control for most tasks- if it's something you'd normally sketch with a pen and paper it's fine, but I find them much less precise for tracing pictures to generate vector lines or whatever. I'm also a very poor sketch artist, so the mouse is a big leg up in that regard. Also remember that the stylus is not 1:1 drawing, there's a disconnect between sketched lines and lines of a different scale on screen, it's a bit weird to have your drawing show up somewhere else, makes it hard to pick up where an existing lines begins or ends.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
It definitely takes some practice, its a totally different way of designing, the mouse is easy because everyone is used to it, it is stable and doesnt float in the air, I remember they used to have that partial design software that had a floating pen, kind of like an old belt-driven handpiece arm. You definitely want a pen with touch sensitivity, this is crucial if youre designing crowns, the harder you push, the more you sculpt, but the buttons on the pen to change functions is tricky, which is why having a mouse connected also is important. The biggest problem Ive had is turning the model, you have to 'grab' by holding the button on the pen while you move, it can be tricky because the pen is actually the size of a sharpie. You will also need a very large desk if you plan on using one, or a keyboard style tray that slides out under the desk.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
It definitely takes some practice, its a totally different way of designing, the mouse is easy because everyone is used to it, it is stable and doesnt float in the air, I remember they used to have that partial design software that had a floating pen, kind of like an old belt-driven handpiece arm. You definitely want a pen with touch sensitivity, this is crucial if youre designing crowns, the harder you push, the more you sculpt, but the buttons on the pen to change functions is tricky, which is why having a mouse connected also is important. The biggest problem Ive had is turning the model, you have to 'grab' by holding the button on the pen while you move, it can be tricky because the pen is actually the size of a sharpie. You will also need a very large desk if you plan on using one, or a keyboard style tray that slides out under the desk.
Does a 3d mouse work with it? I’ve always thought my ideal setup would be a 3d mouse, my gaming mouse, and then one of those smaller tablets without the screens, I just haven’t tried it all together yet lol.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This is my setup, I haven’t used it in a couple years, I want to try it again now that I have the hdmi splitter, it’s pretty much like using a touch screen monitor, it shows everything on the desktop, you can use any mouse. IMG_3012.jpeg

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I have tried and used the Wacom tablets and its amazing. For C&B you can really sculpt and carve detail more accurately because its almost like you are doing it physically with the pen. Works great with a CAD mouse too. You do not get an effeciency boost compared to an experienced designer but it does feel better.

If you have a good quality mill that can capture the minor detail its pretty game changing imo. You will get similar results being proficient in CAD but the process feels more intuitive and just feels better.

C

CovakorDTS

Reaction score
It's difficult to find a guide to setting up the wacom with partialcad. Mapping the buttons of the mouse and keyboard is thus far the most cumbersome experience. As affinity stated above, rotating the model is challenging.

I guess the integration and learning curve is too great for there to be enough techs to utilize, the additional cost is also an issue too I assume. Have to stick to keyboard and mouse for now.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Have been using a Wacom for past 5 years. Would say it has upped my production in design by 50%.

C

CovakorDTS

Reaction score
2000markpeters, are you using the wacom for c&b? Any partials at all? I can't seem to map the functions properly for partialcad with the intuous pro.

Thanks!!!

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
C&B for now. I use the pen in right hand and control pad in left coupled with mouse. Im pretty fast with all this manipulation. Rotations I do with mouse as this seems to be the most efficient way for me.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
exocad's own documentation

Attachments

• exocad_How_to_work_with_WACOM_ Devices.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9