VHF Modifications

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Drill 1/4" along the bottom of the front door just under the handle bar. Seems to work on our master mill.

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
The suction is a big weak point on that machine, It also is insufficient to keep the dust from going into the electrical components and drive system. If it is not covered I would probably modify it like Sevan recommends otherwise the dust goes into the right side of the machine through the rubber gasket and ruins the expensive parts of the machine. Happened to 3 of ours requiring expensive fixes.

user name

user name

Reaction score
The suction is a big weak point on that machine, It also is insufficient to keep the dust from going into the electrical components and drive system. If it is not covered I would probably modify it like Sevan recommends otherwise the dust goes into the right side of the machine through the rubber gasket and ruins the expensive parts of the machine. Happened to 3 of ours requiring expensive fixes.
Yup. The dust is a mess. The mfrg is more concerned about the suction creating a a draft that draws from the upper part of the mill through the various small gaps aroung moving parts than they are keeping the milling chamber clean. The upper parts of the mill are exposed to the labs ambient air which we all know can be dusty, and its drawn into the mill through vents while the suction is running. Im thinking now that maybe sealing up the vents and running some strong filtered air into the upper portions of the mill creating positive pressure to assist the suction would keep things much cleaner around the screws and rails.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Wieland told me it was not supposed to take out all the dust. It's main function was to create some type of vortex to keep abrasive zr dust away from the spindle etc.. I'm sure Ryan knows a lot more than I do regarding that statement...

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
The newer construction 5 S2 maybe they learned maybe not by the way suction is on and one of the best no not my mill.the suction chanel is miles away from dust more crap than the mini.

20150115_122102.jpg

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I performed a simple experiment based on Sevan's idea: I removed the bar at the bottom of the door (two screws) and observed the dust movement while blocking none, part or all of the gap in various configurations. If my iVac Quattro was on a medium high setting, little buildup occurred in the chamber when completely unblocked. Noisy as can be though. It's impossible to assess whether dust would accumulate in the other non-chamber parts of the mill, since I didn't run it that long. This is a block holder VHF, so it can't do quite half the units in a puck.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The newer construction 5 S2 maybe they learned maybe not by the way suction is on and one of the best no not my mill.the suction chanel is miles away from dust more crap than the mini.

View attachment 17873

That is ridiculous, I have that mill and its never looked like that even after doing to full arch cases over night. Guys if you have a ****ty vacuum that clogs the filter and doesn't auto shake, your air volume will obviously have issues the longer it runs. That picture looks like the vac was not running at all.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
That is ridiculous, I have that mill and its never looked like that even after doing to full arch cases over night. Guys if you have a ****ty vacuum that clogs the filter and doesn't auto shake, your air volume will obviously have issues the longer it runs. That picture looks like the vac was not running at all.

You mean we need to clean the suction unit??? :D
Even the Quattro doesn't shake the dust out if it is too clogged.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
make sure the automatic brush cleaners inside the quattro are changed on time. They make a huge difference.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

The guy test that mill for a reseller run in the past two dmg 20 two Mikron HSm 400 so he knows what hes talking about. dont tell me a star

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
That is ridiculous, I have that mill and its never looked like that even after doing two full arch cases over night. Guys if you have a ****ty vacuum that clogs the filter and doesn't auto shake, your air volume will obviously have issues the longer it runs. That picture looks like the vac was not running at all.
I run a Cercon clean on mine and it wouldn't look like this if I ran three pucks thru it!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

View attachment 17873
That to me looks like a crapy suction setup, my 4k's get build up on the floor only when I neglect the vacuums of a good cleaning, I use the Vaniman brushless stonevacs. Just have to keep the accumulators cleans and the filters free at least once a week depending on the amount of units that get cut.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
That to me looks like a crapy suction setup, my 4k's get build up on the floor only when I neglect the vacuums of a good cleaning, I use the Vaniman brushless stonevacs. Just have to keep the accumulators cleans and the filters free at least once a week depending on the amount of units that get cut.

I tell it the suction engineer i know him not a small company even build some mills too maybe its the used stuff ill think HC Starck , but if you mill hard stuff on a mini you wont have that problem the wake eye see the 4 ax limitations milling hard stuff. 033.JPG 034.JPG !?

Last edited:
Top Bottom