veterinary lab work

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
i would love to see some pictures and stories about restoration/appliances for animals. Would love to start doing some in my lab.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Don't have pics, but my fixed tech when I was in the Air Force did a canine for a military dog who broke thiers off. We kept the casts and made a duplicate to show off for the "dog and pony" show. (when higher ups come see what we do for a living)

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Doggie Dentures Video

I did do some research on the subject - and dental restoration on animals seems to be almost unknown other than police animals as in your instance and 1 elephant story I found but I doubt we could have milled that anyway

doug

doug

Reaction score
Mark Jackson has done plenty of it.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
So Has Brian Tracey out in New Mexico, not sure if he is still in the field
great ceramist and photographer

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
I used to do doggie ortho appliances for show dogs...Which I don't think is kosher in the show dog world, but what the hay!

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Over the years I've made several gold and porcelain doggie canines. About half were for the local police dogs, the other for private party. It seems that most doggie shades are in the beach range!

My Dr. has also done some doggie ortho, and you're right Smilewire, doggie ortho for show dogs is not kosher at all.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Veterinarians | Precision Ceramic Dental Laboratory, Montclair, CA 91763

Be careful that you only do work for a board certified veterinary dentist. GP's and human dentists doing this work is illegal. Turn them in. Doing ortho on a show dog is immoral, and unethical unless you have proof of it being sterile. Notice of the work being done should be sent by certified mail to the AKC.

Most dogs and cats have sensitivities to nickle. Be sure you understand carnasial occlusion before attempting this kind of work.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised a pfm or any porcelain Restoration would hold up to the abuse a dog would put on it ......have you ever seen a dog chew on a bone?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised a pfm or any porcelain Restoration would hold up to the abuse a dog would put on it ......have you ever seen a dog chew on a bone?

Depends on the dog. Those with RDB will not work. There is a whole science to it, really. More than I care to get into here.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Veterinarians | Precision Ceramic Dental Laboratory, Montclair, CA 91763

Be careful that you only do work for a board certified veterinary dentist. GP's and human dentists doing this work is illegal. Turn them in. Doing ortho on a show dog is immoral, and unethical unless you have proof of it being sterile. Notice of the work being done should be sent by certified mail to the AKC.

Most dogs and cats have sensitivities to nickle. Be sure you understand carnasial occlusion before attempting this kind of work.

Personally I think that whole show dog crap is super Immoral, Killing offspring because there not the right color?
I had a argument with a lady waiting to see the vet because she had a boxer. I told her how I loved white boxers and she went off, telling me how she murdered them. Then she proceded to try to intimidate me by pretending to sik her "showdog" boxer on my sheltie. I just wanted to kick her in the face, the show dog assh...s are nothing but a bunch of racist purists, I care very little about there thoughts on morality.

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
I'm curious...........what are the more common reasons for veternary dental lab work? (Besides human vanity projected onto their animals for the sake of dog shows.)

And is this kind of work done just for dogs/pets or is it common on other animals - horses, cattle etc.?

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Our horses get treated by an equine dentist on occasion. Generally it has to do with abscessed teeth or malocclusion. So they extract abscessed teeth, but to fix bites they use large files and file down high spots and sort of equilibrate the bite. It is pretty crazy to watch. Horses that start loosing weight and spill alot of food when eating grain usually start putting the pounds back on after the equine dentist works on them. As far as restorations go, I have never seen any horse lab work.

Home | The Academy Of Equine Dentistry

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Our horses get treated by an equine dentist on occasion. Generally it has to do with abscessed teeth or malocclusion. So they extract abscessed teeth, but to fix bites they use large files and file down high spots and sort of equilibrate the bite. It is pretty crazy to watch. Horses that start loosing weight and spill alot of food when eating grain usually start putting the pounds back on after the equine dentist works on them. As far as restorations go, I have never seen any horse lab work.

Home | The Academy Of Equine Dentistry

This is a friend of mine. No, there is no such thing as retoratives for any ruminant, except elephants. Interesting fact, they have a figure eight excursive map.

Animals get dentistry for many of the same reasons people do. To replace broken teeth, protect broken teeth, restore function in working breeds, protect against trauma. Correct RDB etc.

Cosmetic and orthodontics in fertile dogs is animal cruelty. There is a lot of politics in the business and it's a real hot potato to get caught working with the wrong guys, or with different factions of the trade. It's really not worth it. There are also legal ramrifications, and potential liability.

Read my article from about 12 years ago, "Extreme Dentistry". It actually became a civil rights nightmare. Really, you don't want to mess with it.

N

NathanH

Reaction score
We've done a few here. There's a Husband/Wife team where one's a DDS and the other's a Vet. Their offices are next door to each other. They team up to work on animals with high value on them, like police dogs, and show dogs. We've done some cats. Those are interesting to say the least. My Grand-father did some work on show cattle back in the day. Mainly where the animals are used for breeding and need to stay heathy. Here's a few pics that I've got of some dogs we did. Occlusion, morphology and just plain setting the bite is WAY strange. Sorry for the quality of the pics.

ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Picture148_1.jpg
ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Picture145.jpg
ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_DSC00001.jpg

ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Maxpolicedog3.jpg
ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Picture148_1.jpg ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Picture145.jpg ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_DSC00001.jpg ai176.photobucket.com_albums_w192_motrubl_Maxpolicedog3.jpg

N

NathanH

Reaction score
Majority are done in NP alloy, but some owners want Yellow Gold. Dogs chew through gold like CRAZY. Only use gold if the owner, or patient, understands that the restoration WILL have to be made again.