Turn around time & raising prices

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
Okay I have two questions here for Ortho offices...
What is the average turn around time that most doctors seem comfortable with for standard appliances?
And my second question...
How do you go about raising your prices? Do you notify the doctors before hand? do you write something on a current statement or send out a separate letter to notify your accounts? oh, and how much is a fair amount to raise prices, and reasonable so as not to scare them away? (I currently charge $40 for the a Hawley)

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

Well, since nobody else is responding, and we DO make a few ortho devices, I decided to share my thoughts Michelle..

What is the average turn around time that most doctors seem comfortable with for standard appliances?

We do everything here in 4-5 days.

And my second question..How do you go about raising your prices? Do you notify the doctors before hand? do you write something on a current statement or send out a separate letter to notify your accounts?

We have started giving a small announcement with statements 30 days before a customers anniversary date. We spread our price increases over the whole year by adjusting prices on a customers anniversary of his/her first case with us.

oh, and how much is a fair amount to raise prices, and reasonable so as not to scare them away? (I currently charge $40 for the a Hawley)

We usually use CPI, which was 2.7%, or more if our costs have changed significantly.

Hope that helps :)
:)

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
Wow, so many views, so few comments!
Thanks Mark! :D

J

JOL

Reaction score
I am also a one person lab and I allow the doctors to really dictate the turn around time (within reason). For me, this allows for some cases to be 2 weeks, some 1 week, some 4 days, and rarely a 2 day or weekend case. I find it spreads out my workload quite well. All of my orthos impress with braces still on and deliver upon debonding thus they don't really need a super fast turnaround.

As far as pricing, $40 for a hawley is really low in my opinion. I would adjust upward a few dollars every year to get up to the $48-$50 range. I would give them atleast a 30 day notice via phone, email or letter. This gives them a chance to respond and most orthos with have no problem with it if they truly value your service. I need to up my prices on a few items as well here. The cost of materials, equipment and shipping is increasing almost every time I place an order.

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
Michelle,

Find out what other ortho labs charge. Space Maintainers would be a good start. Since I am not an ortho lab, I can check it out for you if ya want.

Blessed Be,

R

rosarioortholab

Reaction score
Our normal turnaround is 3 FULL in house days. Not counting in &out days.(this is the norm for large national labs) As for our fees we raise them early in the calender year.
$40.00 is a fair fee for a STANDARD hawley retainer. You shold charge extra for adams clasps springs etc. Call other local ortho labs. You'll be surprised at how readily other ortho labs are willing to talk shop. I.m in regular contact with 6 ortho labs in our area.

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help! :)

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Hello Lab Lady~ My turn around time is 3 days. I ask the offices if they would please put a due date on them, just in case they don't necessarily need the appliance back in 3 days and I can do the work that is due first. I am a lone operator. As far as raising prices, I usually put a seperate letter in with the monthly statement at least 45 days in advance of the price increase. I like to stick close to 10% increase. My standard hawley w/2-ball clasps start at $43.50. I usually raise it every 2 years, but the last time I waited 4 years!!
I hope this was helpful, if you have any more ?? you are welcome to ask, I'll do my best to help.

trisha

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Oh I meant to add that the other labs in my area usually turn around in 2 weeks (they are larger labs),so the 3 day turn around even a 1 week turn around, really got me in the doors to begin with.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
I have included letters with invoices, but Im sure the Dr.s never saw them. They never said anything about the increases either. Are you going to do a straight up % increase across the board? or just a few things here and there. I say yes increase your hawley price esp. here in california. The lab in pleasant hill get 57.00 for a standard hawley and has many accounts. Theres a ortho lab in San Jose that charges 35.00 but there outsourced through china and have a two week turnaround.

X

xmortho

Reaction score
Hello Lab Lady,
for most standard appliances the return time is about one week if they are in town, two weeks if the retainers comes by mail, and for study models is around 5 working days in lab. We usually require the Doctor to let us know in advance if a STAT or an ASAP case is sent to us.
Raising the prices should be done every year or 18 months by about 3% or more, and they will appreciate if you let them know in advance about it.
Make sure that you also explain why you raise the price, (gas price went up UPS, etc etc).
Good luck,
XM

And my second question...
How do you go about raising your prices? Do you notify the doctors before hand? do you write something on a current statement or send out a separate letter to notify your accounts? oh, and how much is a fair amount to raise prices, and reasonable so as not to scare them away? (I currently charge $40 for the a Hawley)