Laser Welding in Orthodontics

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Hello All:

We have been laser welding for 5 months now and I want to share with you my feelings and observations.

We bought a 40 joules bench top machine, you can purchase machines from a low of 30 Joules to over 150 joules. We decided 40 was plenty as welding stainless in our (ortho) application needs only 6-8 joules, our laser cost around 18K.

My first observation was how easy it was to use and how quickly our technicians were able to have success using it.

Second observation was how it improved the quality of our work, man the appliances look great.

Third was how much labor and $$$$ it had the potential to save. Let me elaborate.....

To solder you must:
1. Make sure the area is free of wax and is clean
2. Cover the areas with Heat Shield around the area to be soldered
3. Apply flux
4. Apply heat and solder
5. Steam clean of the flux and heat Shield
6. Grind down and finish solder joint
7. Pumice and polish, high shine
8. Maybe steam clean again

To laser you must:
1. Bend wire much more accurate so you have maximum metal to metal contact. This does take extra time.
2. Laser weld

That's it......and it only takes seconds to weld

Now with that said it is easy to blow through bands and once you do you have lost any time advantage. In fact anytime you have to use filler metal you have lost your time advantage. Also you need to educate your accounts as we had several calls complaining that we did not use enough solder and we had one orthodontist that was re-soldering our appliances. When we explained we were laser welding he got in his car and drove over to see the machine and he ended up laser welding a few things.

So yes it would be hard for a one to three person lab justify the cost of a laser but maybe you can buddy up with a local C and B lab and rent time on theirs? It is great technology and a laser weld is 250 times stronger than solder, it will never turn color or break down and it makes it possible to do build things you simple could not with solder.

If you attend the AAO the WKE group invites you to sit down and try a laser for yourself. We will be meeting Monday after the hall closes at the hotel attached to the convention center (sorry don't know the name).
None of us are selling lasers we were just lucky enough to get Laser Star to loan us a unit.

Well that's my report...sorry so long.

Don

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
easy to blow through bands and once you do you have lost any time advantage.
Don

Don, it's my understanding with most laser welders you can adjust the intensity of the laser so you don't "blow through bands" like you said. I just know we had different settings for every type of alloy and laser solder along with not being able to open the hole/weld/margin any bigger than what we were trying to fix. Can you adjust?

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Yep..
We can adjust and our techs are getting very good with bands, our goal is to completely eliminate solder before the end of the year. I did screw up by not upgrading to Pulse Shaping, if we had we could shape the shot to have more energy on the wire and less on the band. My techs have gotten around this by deflecting the shot hitting the wire first and then "splashing" onto the band. It is all very cool and I wish I would have purchased a laser 10 years ago even though they were 50K back then, it is that good.

Don

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
Awesome. 18k. Better than 25k someone else mentioned here. HHHmmmmm.
Maybe. Tempting.
Thanks for that info Don.
No need to edit for spelling. Sometimes there is little time, and things happen.
Busy day here, busy month.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Yep..
We can adjust and our techs are getting very good with bands, our goal is to completely eliminate solder before the end of the year. I did screw up by not upgrading to Pulse Shaping, if we had we could shape the shot to have more energy on the wire and less on the band. My techs have gotten around this by deflecting the shot hitting the wire first and then "splashing" onto the band. It is all very cool and I wish I would have purchased a laser 10 years ago even though they were 50K back then, it is that good.

Don

Pulse shaping solves the issues you are having. Even after years of use with my machine that has pulse shaping, welding cribs on thin bands is a bitch.

I am glad someone else is as excited as I was/am with this tool. It truly is the best piece of equipment I ever bought for my lab.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information about your laser welder. I talked with a local ortho lab that said they were going to buy one and allow other labs to use it for about $100 an hour. Don't think I can justify it, but it is interesting to read the pros and cons.
trisha

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
any pics??

We made new demo appliances of almost all our appliances using the laser, I am getting ready to start photographing them for our new catalog and the AAO...what appliance or appliances would you like to see?

I will need to be walked through posting photos but I should be able to put a few up this weekend.

Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Don,
Best way to put photos here seems to be using photobucket.com
It's free, sign up. Upload your photos there, they can then be copied from there and placed in your posts here, using "control c" to copy from photobucket, an then "control v" to paste it in the post.
Nedd more info or help, just ask.
Mike.

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
I would like to see a Herbst if at all possible, since it usually has a heavy soldering component and it would be interetsing to see what is looks like with the reduction of bulk solder.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Herbst appliances still need solder because it would take too long to add metal to create smooth enough joints. They are laser welded then silver soldered, the laser makes the joints much stronger and we have never had a laser joint fail. Here are some pics of other appliances:

ai613.photobucket.com_albums_tt213_doninman_Laser_20Welding_DSC01333.jpg
DSC01320.jpg DSC01322.jpg DSC01324.jpg DSC01327.jpg DSC01336.jpg

Last edited:
Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Mike:

I did exactly what you said...using a Mac. but the pictures did not post only the names?

L

labdude

Reaction score
Over on photobucket???
Not sure about a mac, but, I place th arrow over the picture I want. A menu pops up, I click on the bottom choice, IMG something or other it says. With that bottom selection highlighted, I hold down control and the letter c. It then pops up and sya image copied. I then go to the post and hold down control and and the letter v. This may be different for a mac. I'm wondering if there is a way over on photobucket to allow us access of each others pics?? I'll check later today. We'll get it going for you!
Mike.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Well I got some added...
I created a photo album on Photobucket, that is where I went wrong because all the photos now have the same URL

Soooo...I added them as thumbnails

L

labdude

Reaction score
Great Don,
they work as thumbnail too, I see.
I just did this one of yours to try it out. You have it covered now it seems.
Mike.
Nice work Don!!

Last edited:
L

LaserStar Tech

Reaction score
LaserStar Technologies

Hi All: if you have any specific questions about laser welding in general or our lasers in particular, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or visit LaserStar.net.

Best Regards,

Andre Friedmann
Technical Sales Representative
LaserStar Technologies - Southeast
704-839-9589