Titanium Inodizing - Gold easy and Pink problem

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
saw one paper that used 10% Potassium Hydroxide, got Pink colours at 50vdc

so a few bits of chlorine and minerals i doubt have much impact.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Drink beer at work? This aint Canada eh?

renato

renato

Reaction score
I am using this TSP-PF Green Box which come in the Anodizer kit, is that what you guys are recommending?

tat-1314a.jpg

Attachments

• A91100-M43-B833-01-7600-Terminkaertchen.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • cor plastico colorgin-650x489.jpg
    cor plastico colorgin-650x489.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 14
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thought I would post a pic of one I did, the pink turned out well. Dual color with borox solution. 8701190E-938B-426A-8E7C-8E9176A843A5.jpeg

Attachments

• 984ACEC8-8C18-41DD-BE7A-D8EF67F90E95.jpeg
    984ACEC8-8C18-41DD-BE7A-D8EF67F90E95.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
for the pink.. maybe around 75

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just got my anodizing kit in last week, the same one as renato (from painful pleasures). How long seconds, minutes, do you anodize for?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
It literally takes a couple of seconds. I rubber wheel the abutment, polish it, and then steam clean it before anodizing. This creates a much more vibrant gold color.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It literally takes a couple of seconds. I rubber wheel the abutment, polish it, and then steam clean it before anodizing. This creates a much more vibrant gold color.

Thank you, Brett. If you leave it in a little longer, does it get a deeper anodize color, or once it's done, it's done?

I do have some abutments that I can experiment with, but I do appreciate any replies and help :)

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you, Brett. If you leave it in a little longer, does it get a deeper anodize color, or once it's done, it's done?

I do have some abutments that I can experiment with, but I do appreciate any replies and help :)
once its done, its done. important to note however, this is not like a radio you cant dial it back. if you go too far youll have to trim it off and start again. so go UP slowly in voltage.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

This is creating a spiffy form of 'rust' on the outer molecular layer. All exposed titanium will be effected. After it's done, it's done. Longer exposure will do nothing without a voltage change.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
once its done, its done. important to note however, this is not like a radio you cant dial it back. if you go too far youll have to trim it off and start again. so go UP slowly in voltage.

This is creating a spiffy form of 'rust' on the outer molecular layer. All exposed titanium will be effected. After it's done, it's done. Longer exposure will do nothing without a voltage change.

Thank you both for your helpful replies, I appreciate it :) :)

doug

doug

Reaction score
I got this off of Reddit. The OP didn't put any times down so there's still that to deal with, but these look pretty good
Anodizes Titanium.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The time doesnt matter, it will only anodize to the voltage then it stops.. generally, you can potentially do it too long, and it appears brownish or burnt, but it only takes a matter of 3-4 seconds to get that color..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
also, the instructions say that for colors higher than 75v you need to make sure the probe is sanded and clean

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I believe adding baking soda to tsp also helps in getting better colors.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I polish my abutments before I annodize them. Produces a more vibrant gold.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an anodizer and thought this was an interesting bit of info. Seems to have jump-started the thread. I can always use more feedback

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Dude! Doug!! Get an annodizer! lol

We spent $300 on a micro annodizer. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare and annodize an abutment. You can charge more for a gold hued titanium abutment. You will have the annodizer paid for after about 10 abutments. I have been trying to get away from doing zirconia abutments whenever possible. A layered zirconia crown will mask a gold hued abutment in the vast majority of cases. The gold hued abutment won't discolor the tissue like a silver abutment will. For emax cases, we still lean towards zirconia abuments unless the shade is darker and i can make the emax core very thick.