Polishing gold

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Today I had a Dr that is a Prost tell me how to polish gold. It's a dumb ass bar between to lower cuspids. The bar rests on the tissue. I of course lightly scraped the tissue on the solid cast. He tried it on the working model and says it rocked on the tissue (which is all bumpy). I told him I scraped the tissue to compensate for the removal of gold while polishing and still leave it touching the tissue. He tells me he never did that in school. Oh, you melt wax to the bar and stone and then they just used some pink rubber wheel and the world was all lollipops and unicorns. Let's see, I've cast and polished gold for 43 years. I imagine I've polished over 50k crowns. I guess I just don't understand how to do what he learned in school 40 years ago. Just another day in the wonder world of dental technology.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Today I had a Dr that is a Prost tell me how to polish gold. It's a dumb ass bar between to lower cuspids. The bar rests on the tissue. I of course lightly scraped the tissue on the solid cast. He tried it on the working model and says it rocked on the tissue (which is all bumpy). I told him I scraped the tissue to compensate for the removal of gold while polishing and still leave it touching the tissue. He tells me he never did that in school. Oh, you melt wax to the bar and stone and then they just used some pink rubber wheel and the world was all lollipops and unicorns. Let's see, I've cast and polished gold for 43 years. I imagine I've polished over 50k crowns. I guess I just don't understand how to do what he learned in school 40 years ago. Just another day in the wonder world of dental technology.
next time, make a soft tissue cast.
you wont have to worry about it rocking ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So do you allow yourself and your business to be controlled by others? Or do you take control of your own business even if you may risk a few dollars in the process?

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
next time, make a soft tissue cast.
you wont have to worry about it rocking ;)
I would but these are his models. He like to think he's a dental technician and knows all like the Great Oz.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
You're going to come across dentists who have their own way of doing things. Either be respectful and learn their way for their case while also educating them to your way, or slowly fire them while looking for a more compatible client.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I would but these are his models. He like to think he's a dental technician and knows all like the Great Oz.
ah okay, well then....fulfill the prescription.
if that is how he wants it, that's how you make it and move on. it isnt worth the loss of sleep or arguement.
or you turn away his work

doug

doug

Reaction score
We have what we call "teachable moments" with our accounts. Non-confrontational opportunities to exchange knowledge to help us both be better in our jobs. Only once have I had push-back, and we no longer accept work from that person.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We have what we call "teachable moments" with our accounts. Non-confrontational opportunities to exchange knowledge to help us both be better in our jobs. Only once have I had push-back, and we no longer accept work from that person.
That’s a great way to filter out your “challenging “ accounts.
I found bending over backwards for them only led to kissing my own ass.