Thoughts on Plate Anatomy

Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about creating anatomy in a plate? Prefer smooth?

Attachments

• IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
Doctors get what they want I guess....But in your perfect partial with a lingual plate...with whatever clasp scheme, rest scheme, or saddle scheme...is your plate smooth or carved?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
70% are oblivious and will take whatever the dentist puts in the mouth. 20% will ask and be sated by the dentist. 5% will complain then get used to it in two days. 5% will demand the rugae, and some of those will hate it once they get it some will think its great. If you are talking of the matte bump texture I don't prefer it show a pt something that glows like the sun or something you had a hell of a time polishing.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Rest when between two teeth, Saddle when free end extension. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to grind in the denture teeth either. Everything you do is custom in the best interest of the pt.

Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
that's the constant battle I guess...trying to convey to the Dr's what is best for the patient for the long haul...I agree with the issue of hygiene so the last 2 days I have added the anatomy but very lightly...should feel just like lingual of a tooth...I am always looking to better my knowledge and skills...so thank you for the reply

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
It's interesting ... as far as full dentures go... we learned the rugae technique for palates but over the years i can only think one we did it for...ONE !

Hygiene is king.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It's interesting ... as far as full dentures go... we learned the rugae technique for palates but over the years i can only think one we did it for...ONE !

Hygiene is king.
Pts don't care about rugae they know they are wearing dentures theres no fooling them. It is not necessary for phonetics. You relearn how to talk correctly in a few days and its done. Polishing rugae is a nightmare in itself. I love that glassy silky feel of a well polished denture... probably overpolished but they stay clean and pts never complain.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
@Dominick if I were selling partial frames, and anyone asked me my preference I would say I make partials smooth and sparkly. I think you were talking about that matted stipple look on some patern wax.

Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
Actually my man...I meant lingual plates or closed kennedy's....particularly on lowers...lately I have been trying to make them as similar to the shape of the individual tooth it is supporting to give the patient a more realistic feel lingually...I completely agree with the hygiene assessment...yesterday and today I carved slightly less and believe your opinion helped make my product just that little bit better..so thanks...@2thm8ker As I understand...unless prepped...it is usually not a good idea to place an occlusal rest onto a crown...which in the case of Kennedy Class 1-3...is one of the reasons a closed kennedy is used on the linguals...it is supposed to provide enough support for mastication forces

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Actually my man...I meant lingual plates or closed kennedy's....particularly on lowers...lately I have been trying to make them as similar to the shape of the individual tooth it is supporting to give the patient a more realistic feel lingually...I completely agree with the hygiene assessment...yesterday and today I carved slightly less and believe your opinion helped make my product just that little bit better..so thanks...@2thm8ker As I understand...unless prepped...it is usually not a good idea to place an occlusal rest onto a crown...which in the case of Kennedy Class 1-3...is one of the reasons a closed kennedy is used on the linguals...it is supposed to provide enough support for mastication forces
I think its a case by case assessment. Some patients hate it but it does have other advantages as well..especially bracing of wandering anteriors...