SUPER-FURNACE!!! (Sintering)

C

cemcclemens

Reaction score
I must say when I saw that this thread had 59 posts I thought no friggin way am I going to read it but to my delight it was hilarious. Scott you are a great descriptive writer. I just have one question. My DeLorean is made by ***......THAT is not you, is it?:peace:

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Mark, I enjoy your different views and personality.
We are just opposite types. We'd probably make a good team.

ablogs.sfweekly.com_thesnitch_odd_couple_posters.jpg
ablogs.sfweekly.com_thesnitch_odd_couple_posters.jpg

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark, I enjoy your different views and personality.
We are just opposite types. We'd probably make a good team.

My partner and i are total opposites. Even physically. It's what makes us a good team. If we both think and act the same way, one of us doesn't need to be here. I wish I had somebody like you here Scott.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Scott do you prefer using shaded ZR or staining them before you sinter? Actually this is a question for everybody, please chime in and let me know your opinion

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Scott do you prefer using shaded ZR or staining them before you sinter? Actually this is a question for everybody, please chime in and let me know your opinion

I prefer to pigment and sinter. It gives me more control over shade and it lowers my inventory costs. I have thousands and thousands of dollars in pucks on hand. If I had to have all those sizes and materials on hand, but in a whole variety of shades it would kill my cash flow.

Inventory costs are under appreciated. I miss the days when I had 16 shades of ceramics for metal only, with just three bottle per shade plus a few modifiers. Now i have them for metal, zirconia, alumina and pressables, plus low fusing to repair old cases done back when that stuff was popular.

Don't even get me started on pressing pellets.

Last edited:
Techy

Techy

Reaction score
Shane,,,I have a Nabertherm and its QUICK!!!!

I can and will ramp 2 hours 1535 hold for 2 hours and let cool on its own

5hr cycle....with accurate fit and copings sintered all the way through!!!

This is MY experience,,,

Hope it helps,

Adam:D

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, the furnace is a true rocket-ship, as far as heat rate.

200C/30sec? No problem, even in the 1200C and up range! It has that much heating power.

I think it can go from an idle of around 700C to high temp in under 5min. without breaking a sweat.

So far, so good. Some dude in CA was sintering a 10' tall ceramic bong.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pic2.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_kenska2.jpg

Funny furnace pics below....

ZIRCAR Ceramics: FIM Photo Gallery
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pic2.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_kenska2.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My new support structures came in today for me to play with.

Ya!

HOT!! Ouch!

Cuidado!

Achtung!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
*** "Control Rods"

VERY low density!

awww.epa.gov_radiation_images_un_radioactive_warning_sign.jpg
awww.epa.gov_radiation_images_un_radioactive_warning_sign.jpg

Last edited:
K

KMoft CDT

Reaction score
Ahhhh, support structures.
Warp factor 7 Scotty!!!

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Scott, have you considered any guard/safety device to prevent accidental damage if some of the hot contents should spill off of the platform ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Scott, have you considered any guard/safety device to prevent accidental damage if some of the hot contents should spill off of the platform ?

At some point, you must realize that a Dental Lab is not exactly a place for children. (OK, well actually my kids run around here and cut their fingers off sometimes) What's the difference between any elevator style furnace/oven and this? (Joking)

Look at the Dekema sintering furnace, or any regular porcelain oven.

Please quit talking about safty, or the next thing you know we'll all have to be dressed up in Space-suits and wearing Deep-Sea exploration breathing apparatus and then a layer of WWIII Fire and Radiation-proof padding on top of that!

I've never in my life heard of a death-by-furnace of even a little accident where someone or something was seriously injured.

(I hope Mark doesn't see this post and go start some new Safty-campaign. Then he would start a thread about how terrible the new safty laws are. LOL)

Seriously.

We in the States and in Europe could be subjected to stupid safty laws and certifications and on and on, while the other foreign competition can work with bare feet and no mask! Two extremes.

Don't add anything else into the mix this year please.

(edit....it would take quite a large drunk man to knock over this furnace.)

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
On Friday....I get my new BIG wires for this furnace and a 50AMP breaker! It will be the very last circuit I can add in this building without MAJOR upgrade of service. (Dig ditch and new main lines!)

I am limping along with a 30amp and little wires that actually are about 187 degrees F today! LOL The breaker is also very hot to the touch. I have power at about 47% on furnace. (the Load)

More to come?

I hope we don't go critical during testing this weekend and make a hole in concrete.

melt-down! Everyone run!!!

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
At some point, you must realize that a Dental Lab is not exactly a place for children. (OK, well actually my kids run around here and cut their fingers off sometimes) What's the difference between any elevator style furnace/oven and this? (Joking)

Look at the Dekema sintering furnace, or any regular porcelain oven.

Please quit talking about safty, or the next thing you know we'll all have to be dressed up in Space-suits and wearing Deep-Sea exploration breathing apparatus and then a layer of WWIII Fire and Radiation-proof padding on top of that!

I've never in my life heard of a death-by-furnace of even a little accident where someone or something was seriously injured.

(I hope Mark doesn't see this post and go start some new Safty-campaign. Then he would start a thread about how terrible the new safty laws are. LOL)

Seriously.

LOL :D
You're the 'Pro', but the amateurs out there may need to think a little harder before trying to emulate anything they see on this site that may be beyond their capabilities.
The electric chair was invented by a dentist - do you think perhaps in our profession we're exposed to too many challenges (or fumes) and end up 'over-inventing' to find solutions ? :D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]3BzybxNrTEM[/YOUTUBE]