SUM3D

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
I play with custom stuff that I make myself.

Sure, I break tools, but I have learned quite a bit!

This happens when you teach Twenty Year old son and employees Five axis open CAM, and making your own system from scratch.

We break many tools, as I told you.

We also can do amazing things that you cannot do.

I accept my failure, and what we learned. I do not regret any of it.

All of my stuff is still running fine, and I fixed it all myself. Good stuff!

Scott

see there, I'm not speaking about you but the problem of our friend Shane braking tools milling wax. The art of interpretation is a great one.....MAN I'M STILL WORKING lol you are in your house enjoying life...later:p back to milling

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok, thanks to Scott it's finally sinking in. Climb milling equals "bite", large cut to zero and out. Conventional slides against material then bites and zero to large cut and out, Right? I can definitely see the need for a powerful mill using climb milling, but...... Does that apply to wax and Zr? Is there a certain speed that the materials limitations restrict? And how do I create a strategy to mill in in this way? In sum, what values do I have to change to control these two methods? Man this is gonna be fun!

Would climb milling not increase the possibility of micro fractures in Zr? Know what I mean? That much bite and material removal at that angle? Am I just so absolutely uneducated in it that I am asking really ,really stupid questions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Maybe somebody know about training of sum3d dental programming in Europe?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Learning CAM is something to go to school for. There is alot involved.

I fudge it and make-up stuff as I go along.

I am doing it the hard way. By myself.

It is expensive to play and learn, but very rewarding as you slowly figure it out.

Vasone, this weekend is family time at Church for baptism of kid.

I will look at your CAM file this afternoon. Sorry for the delay!

Jason, Climb-milling is good for tools in most cases. The sharper the tools, the lass chance of facture.
Downmilling reduces tool life, and you may see fractures sooner? Many factors.

Some people choose to take little bites very fast, some people take big bites going slower.
Both get from point A to B. Just different method. Since your mill is kinda on the slow side, I guess you will end up in the middle somewhere? It is the balance between material limits, feed rate, tooling, machine limits, z-step, stepover, etc...

You can pick Bi-directional, or Climb, or Downmilling in strategy of each operation.

Some operations do not have option, like Spiral. You simply pick clock-wise for downmilling inside a pocket, like inside a crown or vice-vera for climb. If you are milling on outside of crown...then clockwise is going to be climb mlling, the opposite. Stop and think about it, or watch mill very closely and try and see difference.

Hurts my head to think about it if I am not in right frame of mind. You need to close eyes and "be the tool".

This topic is going to be fun to discuss, and the sky is the limit for making milling strategy. You can go crazy playing around and thinking about it.

I have to take a break every now and then to keep sain, but recently I feel like playing around again.

Last edited:
shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why when I go to save my disk before I mill, it creates 2 files? If for example I'm saving a 16mm pmma disk and save it as 16_pmma_a-1 it will overwrite an already existing 16_mm that was a different shade! This is really starting to annoy me.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
teamviewer later?

I need a break....just finished a few of those...