Static shock

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
What's the deal with static shock? Everytime I get up from the bench and touch metal i get zapped like a mofo. Noticing it more recently and the only thing I can think of that changed is my shoes...casual Sketchers

Sean

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
th

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
It all has to do with humidity and basic physics. Static electricity occurs when charges are built up without a way to dissipate to the ground. For example, when you rub your socks on a rug and reach for a doorknob, the charge you've built up grounds itself to the doorknob. It just happens a million times more on the microscopic level.

Dental laboratory environments are perfect for this... Especially in the winter when air is typically dryer. When it's more humid, the static will dissipate through the conductive moisture in the air. Not so much in the winter. Imagine all the small-microscopic plaster/stone/gypsum/porcelain/zirconia/dust particles floating in the air and rubbing against each other building up charges. Couple that with warmer air from running furnaces and vacuums that suck even more moisture from the air. Electricity likes to travel the path of least resistance. Humans and metal just happen to be GREAT conductors of electricity!

Add all that up and ZAPP! Your steamer likes to give you a jolt everytime that you use it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with static shock? Everytime I get up from the bench and touch metal i get zapped like a mofo. Noticing it more recently and the only thing I can think of that changed is my shoes...casual Sketchers

Sean
While holding a metal tool, touch the tool to metal. It will receive the shock and it will pass through you with far less 'Yeargh!'

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Get a humidifier...

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Discharge by touching with back of hand first. The fingers are way more sensitive that other parts of the body. I observed this technique many times and finally asked what he was doing. As he walked up the hallway (carpeted) to shake the hand of a visitor, he would brush the back of his hand on the wall before the shake.

As stated above the change in weather can facilitate the shocks. Shoes on the carpet, swinging out from the sitting position of a chair. I hate hurting my fingers!

user name

user name

Reaction score
Start wearing a static discharge strap on your ankle. :confused:

I had a new floor installed once, and the Mfrg was insistant that the tiles be laid out for a few days not touching each other. Said if you don't, static shocks will be powerful. We didn't, and he was right. It wasn't funny. My kids were afraid to touch anything. A 1/4 inch spark for weeks.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Generally synthetic fabrics will generate static in greater quantities than natural materials....which was a delicate thing to politely explain to ladies working in the offices when I repaired office equipment.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Dam, great responses everyone. So get a humidifier?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Discharge by touching with back of hand first. The fingers are way more sensitive that other parts of the body. I observed this technique many times and finally asked what he was doing. As he walked up the hallway (carpeted) to shake the hand of a visitor, he would brush the back of his hand on the wall before the shake.

As stated above the change in weather can facilitate the shocks. Shoes on the carpet, swinging out from the sitting position of a chair. I hate hurting my fingers!

This has to be it! Rolling out of my chair...it's a newer chair?

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
This has to be it! Rolling out of my chair...it's a newer chair?

Yes. I haven't been shocked for a long time but it was probably the carpet where it did happen. I learned to transfer the shock away from my fingers. I understand the increase the humidity comments to alleviate but the office I worked in was near a lot of water, so I think it was the synthetic carpet.

D

David Andrews

Reaction score
Start of winter, in front of fishmouth with lots of air passing will create a charge ! I have to discharge the current before getting up from the bench....

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yes. I haven't been shocked for a long time but it was probably the carpet where it did happen. I learned to transfer the shock away from my fingers. I understand the increase the humidity comments to alleviate but the office I worked in was near a lot of water, so I think it was the synthetic carpet.
1970’s shag carpet Mrs GF?

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
I always got a shock off my steamer. Until i just slipped my shoe from one of my feet off. Not had one since.
Wear loose shoes and kick one off while you work. Hope it works for you too.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
1970’s shag carpet Mrs GF?
Ha. No. 1995 short pile synthetic. It was when I worked at a Court Reporting firm. However, I used to get a righteous shock on one of those old steamers, on linoleum flooring. We could hear people shrieking throughout the day.

Top Bottom