Special waxes ethnic

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
In the 60's & 70's sort of the hey day of removables we had some interesting choices, acrylics came in many colors for the many colors of people, but we also had waxes that matched (to some degree). Now my problem my stash of Hygenic Ethnic waxes is running low, down to the last 30 sheets or so. The last time I saw ethnic waxes at the lab show was in 1998 and I bought 20lbs. The reps remember the ethnic veneer wax but don't have a supply right now, one even suggest I use candle wax. In my area I don't do a lot of ethnic but I like to do the nicest I can and give the patient the best view in wax as I can so they kind of know what to expect. My DDS won't pay extra for the special treatment so I just try to use the sheets as veneer sparingly to stretch my wax stash. I don't get TomZ prices here.
Does anyone know of a nice sheet denture veneer wax in the purple, brown & blue shades that match the ethnic acrylics, for Asians, Hispanic, Jamaica, & Africian peoples? Availiable in the USA. I've seen the GC wax tubs that U melt & put on one drop at a time and I don't get enough to spend an extra 1.5 hr to drop wax a setup, as well the expense of their custom waxes.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Thanks araucaria I'm trying for consistency in the GMP and that is the problem with candle wax (no MSDS) and creating a reliable paper trail for FDA. The inlay wax also is problematic with trying to maintain GMP, as each time you do it it is a is different. The Candular wax is nice but extremely time consuming and if you melt the colored wax to do an eyedropper the color seperates and consistency is lost. The stuff is also expensive!!
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_Denturewax.jpg
Here is a picture of what I have now showing the difference, and the colors pretty closely match the Dentplus PMMA colors. The immediate on left teeth are Vita A1, opposing a 13yr old partial, the reset on right teeth are Vita A3, opposing natural teeth. I feel when the patient sees the teeth with the closer wax color they get a better idea what it will look like when the acrylic is in place.
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_Denturewax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I feel when the patient sees the teeth with the closer wax color they get a better idea what it will look like when the acrylic is in place

Maybe it's better to do some examples and some photos in a display book. That'll save a lot of time, this sort of work isn't a great ROI although it's a nice service for the patient.
It would be good if we can get some easy-to use software where a photo of the patient could be colour-edited for them to see the options.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The best example seems to be in the patients mouth, these somehow came in to process at the same time so here I took a picture or 2.
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_IMG_1912.jpg
this is after process, & remounted for check bite.

ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_IMG_1914.jpg
This shows the acrylic colors I think the wax & acrylic gave the patient the right view, I don't generally see the patient to take that picture like some techs do.

I'm still looking for a supply of sheet wax to replace my dwindling supply.
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_IMG_1912.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_IMG_1914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
sorry, a little off topic but i noticed these articulators look like they are magnetic? (the only way to go in my book)

are they,.. and if so how do you like them? pros and cons?

thanks!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The best example seems to be in the patients mouth, these somehow came in to process at the same time so here I took a picture or 2.
IMG_1912.jpg
[/IMG]
this is after process, & remounted for check bite.

IMG_1914.jpg
[/IMG]
This shows the acrylic colors I think the wax & acrylic gave the patient the right view, I don't generally see the patient to take that picture like some techs do.

I'm still looking for a supply of sheet wax to replace my dwindling supply.

Ajel,

Do you hand wax your rugae or are they patterns, I like the look!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
John thanks, I hand match the natural rugae then apply a keystone pattern over, just my little way of trying to help the patient to speak more naturally. The darker case is Korean minister & Hangul uses the top front to speak clearly. So I use both hand & fill in with pattern, I use myerson cdm fine scratch remover to polish, rugae & between the teeth can become plaque traps without a nice shine.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@AJEL Have you found any currently still produced options that you are comfortable with? All the links here are now dead :(

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
@AJEL Have you found any currently still produced options that you are comfortable with? All the links here are now dead :(
For regular wax or ethnic? Barns dent is no longer as owner passed away. Setup I'm using try byte, waxup do,Phil.
I have stoch of dark wax.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
For regular wax or ethnic? Barns dent is no longer as owner passed away. Setup I'm using try byte, waxup do,Phil.
I have stoch of dark wax.
For the ethnic varieties. Meharry especially is what I'm looking for.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The Rogson wax is actually nice to set up in. It is a brown purple that I use for ethnic setups. Carving is not the easiest

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The Rogson wax is actually nice to set up in. It is a brown purple that I use for ethnic setups. Carving is not the easiest
Coming from a primarily c&b background my fingers are used to a hard inlay/onlay wax for detail work, it'll be like coming home.