Shade matching

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
I have a hand held Rite lite that I use for double checking shades when my eyes are tired. It's going on the fritz, does anyone else use this and like it, or have suggestions for others? I know that SmileLine has something similar too.

thanks

Last edited:
Greg Lutke

Greg Lutke

Reaction score
In my humble opinion – as a dentist that does mostly cosmetic work - the king of shade taking is a DSL camera that has a ”Custom white balance” and have that picture displayed on a calibrated and profiled monitor. Really just making the camera and monitor color accurate.

This takes 15 minutes, and just one time. 2 minutes for the camera (WhiBal G7 White Balance Reference Card) and about 10 minutes on the computer, doing the calibration and profile (X-Rite i1Display Pro).

You can debate monitors, but the Dell Ultrasharp, (Adobe RGB gamut) monitors are awesome for shade selection in dentistry. Dell calls these monitors PremierColor. The U2413 is one of the models.

Experience has shown me that I see color differently, using a photograph (with this setup),than using my eyes in the operatory. If the lab tech and the dentist use this system – it’s just perfect. Just my 2 cents.

queenp

queenp

Reaction score
In my humble opinion – as a dentist that does mostly cosmetic work - the king of shade taking is a DSL camera that has a ”Custom white balance” and have that picture displayed on a calibrated and profiled monitor. Really just making the camera and monitor color accurate.

This takes 15 minutes, and just one time. 2 minutes for the camera (WhiBal G7 White Balance Reference Card) and about 10 minutes on the computer, doing the calibration and profile (X-Rite i1Display Pro).

You can debate monitors, but the Dell Ultrasharp, (Adobe RGB gamut) monitors are awesome for shade selection in dentistry. Dell calls these monitors PremierColor. The U2413 is one of the models.

Experience has shown me that I see color differently, using a photograph (with this setup),than using my eyes in the operatory. If the lab tech and the dentist use this system – it’s just perfect. Just my 2 cents.

thanks, this is great info for communicating shades.

what i am looking for is a light source (something small and portable) for when my eyes are tired and i am critiquing the color of the restoration in process or when it's just finished.

Greg Lutke

Greg Lutke

Reaction score
thanks, this is great info for communicating shades.

what i am looking for is a light source (something small and portable) for when my eyes are tired and i am critiquing the color of the restoration in process or when it's just finished.

I understand. The light source - if you want pure white light - should be 6500°K. In my office, all of our flourescent bulbs are 6500°K.
The very best light source is the camera flash - which is the only consistency - and now White Balanced to provide color accuracy. This color you can trust.
**To evaluate work, I would include shade tabs in the photograph. I would add that carefull attention should be to have the shade tab and the restoration the same exact distance from the flash and lens. If one is closer - then it will appear to have higher value.

user name

user name

Reaction score
...and check your histograms. Make sure youre not bouncing flash off the metal shade tab holder.

Greg Lutke

Greg Lutke

Reaction score
...and check your histograms. Make sure youre not bouncing flash off the metal shade tab holder.
Yes, good point. We just sandblast the metal shade tab holders and the histograms will look normal again.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Want your mind blown?

The center top square and the center square facing you are the same color. Grap a piece of paper and lay it on top and make note of where those two squares are. Cut out those spots on your paper like a stencil. lay it back on the pic to block the other colors.

Image-14.jpg

These are the squares Im talking about...

Beau-Lotto-Cube-Illusion-color-perception.png

For more , visit

http://www.labofmisfits.com/index.asp

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i use clearmatch i have kept it going all these years but its getting harder as the inventor died quite a few years ago .a guy called Dennis took it over but the way he wanted to charge for it made it not really viable does anyone have any updates about clearmatch as it did really work well.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Want your mind blown?

The center top square and the center square facing you are the same color. Grap a piece of paper and lay it on top and make note of where those two squares are. Cut out those spots on your paper like a stencil. lay it back on the pic to block the other colors.

View attachment 24809

These are the squares Im talking about...

View attachment 24810

For more , visit

http://www.labofmisfits.com/index.asp
Hey, thanks! I'd been looking for that for months.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
I use a DSLR and a vita easy shade to get me started , also love the 3D linear shade guide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk