Selling a Lab

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
What about selling a small lab with the main technician? Generates 500k+ and the tech is only mid 50's. Its still growing as well. He does it mostly on his own with a plaster guy and front desk. Cheers and thank you.

I think this Keevan iz a Ruskian BOT sent to our forum to get us to raise our prices...

I WANNA CHARGE WHAT YOU CHARGE!!!! Way to go getting top $ for your product.

K

Kevan

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you can’t sell technicians anymore?

Prolly just as well too, cause my wife would have me on the freakin’ discount rack.

It's not selling the technician it's selling the business with all of the staff. No point in selling a lab without its tech in my opinion. The only reason the clients deal with the lab is because of how good and productive the tech is. I see the risk in buying that but that being said he is training his son who is only 25.

Thanks for the fast reply

K

Kevan

Reaction score
And yes 50 to 60 hours a week generally but today for example haven't started working until now and we got in at 8am. In the early days it was 100 hour weeks. The main tech is really one of a kind. Vast knowledge and experience.

K

Kevan

Reaction score
This by the way is all PFM and fgc with a bit of emax thrown in. No garbage milling

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It's not selling the technician it's selling the business with all of the staff. No point in selling a lab without its tech in my opinion. The only reason the clients deal with the lab is because of how good and productive the tech is. I see the risk in buying that but that being said he is training his son who is only 25.

Thanks for the fast reply
True. I wonder if you can buy a sense of humor?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
This by the way is all PFM and fgc with a bit of emax thrown in. No garbage milling
'No garbage milling'...you care to clarify? I'm guessing you don't like zirconia?

K

Kevan

Reaction score
True. I wonder if you can buy a sense of humor?

I did find your comment funny but it doesn't help me. I wasn't trying to be rude either. Looking for some valid opinions and info. 'dentallabnetwork' sounded like a decent place to start. Guess not.

K

Kevan

Reaction score
'No garbage milling'...you care to clarify? I'm guessing you don't like zirconia?

Milling is garbage case closed. And yeah turns out a lot of people don't like zirconia as it's failing. The material is too hard and rough for natural teeth. Not to mention the specs of it. Can't make it as thing as gold. One of the more worse aspects is most people paint and stain. Stain wears off in the mouth. I could go on for days but I'm not interested in that debate. Just want to k ow about selling

K

Kevan

Reaction score
I need to clarify my clarification. Zirconia and milling isnt garbage. This lab was the first lab in BC Canada to own a cerac milling system. It's not the products that are garbage it's the people doing it. People don't understand that it is way different than metal and has way different characteristics than porcelain. And the reason milling has exploded is due to the lack of people being able to wax a quality crown. As well all must know there are less and less techs circulating around. One of the reasons I can go buy a dekema furnace for 2 grand.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
more techs "get it" than you'd think.

i've never met one who was happy with it, and could all point to the same reason it wasn't a good machine. a lot of it is documented here in the archives of lab network history.

equally, the dentists i've spoken with have voiced similar concerns.

those who found fault with its naturally closed position bought open technology. those who found fault with results, found equipment that produced better results and threw money at it till it worked.

those who simply wanted added capacity went bigger.

there are many many faults in many many ways with the cerec system. its not a single problem that nails it all down.

the same token then applies to whichever other digital technology was purchased afterward; technology did not stop developing when the mcxl came out. cerec was simply the leader of chariside milling until that space populated with literally any other player. it was never a pinnacle of technological development even 30 years ago when it was new.

anyone who thought otherwise was drinking coolaid.

which brings us back to the topic - what value does a lab or clinic have who has bought into the coolaid and is now in default. objectively the only real fault was stagnation. that's sometimes not even a fault of the dentist or lab management, that can be even the local economy stagnating which forced closure.

its not an easy thing to nail down but it does help highlight the fact that despite the client list the lab or office equipment has an inherent value. but its value depends on who is evaluating it. a person who has no use or value for a cerec will not count it among assets except to be sold. a person who does value the cerec will count it among assets for production.

in one case the lab or clinic is de-valued, in the other, value is added.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I really hope this thread lasts a while.
The entertainment level is gold Jerry!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was the longest winded post that said nothing in the history of DLN.....

K

Kevan

Reaction score
Thank you for a legit answer.

The lab doesn't doing any milling or outsourced milling based on what I've said and a long stint of experience. Yes the systems are better than before and better than the cerac the lab had but that doesn't mean anything really. They still don't fit and break etc etc. Yes a good tech and dentist can make it work but that's why. For the past few years we've been seeing huge failure numbers with zirconia. Dentsuplly rep just told us that they noonger recommend zirconia abutments for implants for the same reasons. It breaks. It's too hard and rigid. Etc. There's a reason a lot of research went into superior plus metal. The facts are that dentists are cheap and there is a shrinking pool of decent techs . This leads to new innovations with machines to fill the void. Just had a lengthy convo with aa Jensen sales rep about the fact that he no longer sells much porcelain because of that reason. Less techs. Yes zirconia and milling works but only because there's no one left around to make PFM. Can't mill zirconia as thin as metal. Period. Totally get that value comes from whoever it is that's buying. In this case the knowledge and experience is by far the most valuable thing the lab offers. The equipment consists of a handful of furnaces, metal and a plaster room.

Thanks again for an actual answer. I k ow I've been a little incoherent

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I did find your comment funny but it doesn't help me. I wasn't trying to be rude either. Looking for some valid opinions and info. 'dentallabnetwork' sounded like a decent place to start. Guess not.
You came to the right place for valid opinions.
We all have them.
We also have finely tuned BS meters
Those things are hard wired so don't expect to pull our cords and get a straight answer.
You're not the first but you can always be the last.