Scanning a cantilever bridge wax up

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi All.
I was wondering if it is possible to scan a wax up of the above instead of designing from scratch.

I am using 3shape d700 2013 software.

cheers Jeff

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i don't understand, are you unable to do this currently?

If you pick the model and assign the cantilever + abutment/prep...then make sure you click the blue wax-up button at the top of the list, you should should be able to do what you want

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
i don't understand, are you unable to do this currently?

If you pick the model and assign the cantilever + abutment/prep...then make sure you click the blue wax-up button at the top of the list, you should should be able to do what you want
I was unsure what to check in the set up.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
thanks for that. I will have a go now. Not sure what u mean by "pick the model" though?
jeff

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i'm already home so i don't have access to my desktop, i'll post a screen shot or maybe someone else will. In the order screen, select your units and in the right hand column, right below scan antagonist, you should see two radio buttons, the right one has a blue tinge, click that.

When you start to scan, it will ask for your pre-prep scan - which is your wax up on the model.

then take off the wax up and scan like normal

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
i'm already home so i don't have access to my desktop, i'll post a screen shot or maybe someone else will. In the order screen, select your units and in the right hand column, right below scan antagonist, you should see two radio buttons, the right one has a blue tinge, click that.

When you start to scan, it will ask for your pre-prep scan - which is your wax up on the model.

then take off the wax up and scan like normal
Thanks for this. will I need the whole model or just the die? some screenshots would be awesome though.
cheers Jeff

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain, but how do a tell the software its a pontic. It keeps on asking for die?
jeff

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you will need the whole model.

there are 3 ways to design with a waxup, depending what kind of waxup you have.

1. you have a waxup that is on a model that is NOT the pinned model, and cannot be removed. in this case, scan the case using Pre-op model function in the order form. using similar landmark facets in both models you will align the two models in the software, in the design stage you can use the "morph to Pre-op model" and effectively copy the full form of the waxup.

2. your waxup is on the pinned model and can be removed. for this you can use Double preparation scan. this will be best if you do not move your pinned model from the scan plate during transition from Double Preparation to Preparation arch scan. again in the software you can Morph to Double Prep scan, to quickly copy the waxup.

3. you have a waxup of 1 unit (for example you received the crown back that you made, but the margin is open or the die is loose, or you have a waxup of a crown with an attachment or rest) you can select Waxup in the Misc section of your 3shape order form. the workflow will visibly force itself to copy the waxup, and allow you to alter the area you want to change (such as the margin) by drawing a green spline around the waxup, where the design will NOT be kept. so for instance if you have a full contour waxup, and want to keep all areas except the Buccal, for veneering, you draw the green spline around the buccal aspect, and it will be *ignored* when the designer software creates the crown.

for very long span waxups you will need the Waxup Holder from 3shape.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain, but how do a tell the software its a pontic. It keeps on asking for die?
jeff
you are not using the correct method. the Waxup option is strictly for scanning dies with removable waxups. not pontics.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
thanks coolhandluke.
I have the waxup on a pinned and sep model. and iam very confused now:( lol

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
setup the scan as follows:

selct your die, choose the kind of restoration you want (anatomical/framework, whatever),selct pontic, same material. make them a bridge. now click the Double Prep icon below where it says "Preparation : Sectioned"

now scan the case. you will first scan the model with the waxup, then remove the waxup, and proceed as normal.

when you enter Dental Designer smile composer you will see an option below the General/individual transofrmation tools. first make your smile BIIIIIIG and HUUUUUUGE. make sure the crowns are BIGGER than the Double prep scan, and then click that little lonely button "Morph to Double Prep".

you will have a purple arrow when you move your mouse over the smile. at this point you can click the tooth to morph, and f you really wanted to you could ignore the other teeth if you felt they were not correct in the waxup. thats what makes it such a powerful tool.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
you are not using the correct method. the Waxup option is strictly for scanning dies with removable waxups. not pontics.[/J

Hi Coolhand. I will scan later. Is it possible that you could write a walk through on each step to take please. I have never done this and as you can see
I am doing crap:(

cheers jeff

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
setup the scan as follows:

selct your die, choose the kind of restoration you want (anatomical/framework, whatever),selct pontic, same material. make them a bridge. now click the Double Prep icon below where it says "Preparation : Sectioned"

now scan the case. you will first scan the model with the waxup, then remove the waxup, and proceed as normal.

when you enter Dental Designer smile composer you will see an option below the General/individual transofrmation tools. first make your smile BIIIIIIG and HUUUUUUGE. make sure the crowns are BIGGER than the Double prep scan, and then click that little lonely button "Morph to Double Prep".

you will have a purple arrow when you move your mouse over the smile. at this point you can click the tooth to morph, and f you really wanted to you could ignore the other teeth if you felt they were not correct in the waxup. thats what makes it such a powerful tool.

damn thats quick :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
XYH3dOh.gif