Modifying scans using 3Shape DM

N

NettledTechnician

Reaction score
Hello! I'm relatively new working with 3Shape Dental Manager and I was wondering if there is a way to trim the scans while only having the upper and lower scans for the intent of exporting a case.
The goal is to take a digital scan, trim it to remove any potential interference to the bite and export the order to automate for a nightguard.
The current way I've been doing it is via creating a model and trimming it that way, but that requires setting up a new case all together, creating the model, importing them as scans and finally exporting to automate. Not a ton of extra work, but it seems needlessly complicated to remove a single stray artifact.

Any and all tips would be appreciated, thank you for your time!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hello! I'm relatively new working with 3Shape Dental Manager and I was wondering if there is a way to trim the scans while only having the upper and lower scans for the intent of exporting a case.
The goal is to take a digital scan, trim it to remove any potential interference to the bite and export the order to automate for a nightguard.
The current way I've been doing it is via creating a model and trimming it that way, but that requires setting up a new case all together, creating the model, importing them as scans and finally exporting to automate. Not a ton of extra work, but it seems needlessly complicated to remove a single stray artifact.

Any and all tips would be appreciated, thank you for your time!
Not that I am aware of.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Take the scan and trim them in mesh mixer, then create the order for Automate. Why not leave them the way they are? Are they really bad with flash data and does that data interfere with how the models articulate? Otherwise like you said make a second order, trim the model and finish then press f4 and grab the MB scans, those will be trimmed, then just use those scan in the final order. No other way that i know of.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Trim in meshmixer like Sevan suggested, or use a dummy order and just reset it to created each time to avoid making a new order for every case. If you're on 2023+ you can try the Model Builder express, which I'm a huge fan of so far.

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
You can also easily edit out all your potential interferences in the 3Shape Modelbuilder in the "edit scan step" ( modify upperjaw / modify lowerjaw, you can visualize antagonist still there and add/remove directly on the scan data or use the artifact tool ).

And if that is what you already have been doing :D :

You cannot edit the 3Shape DCM scans in Meshmixer, but you can right click on your order > advanced > export scans > then chose stl as file format.

you can then edit them as sugested in Meshmixer and also import them again in new 3shape cases, as these stl's are saved in occlusal relation, but the modelbuilder-stl's are not!

Last edited:
B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
Hello,
me instead of always creating new cases, I have a couple of orders already created.
What I do let's say I want to switch a dcm to stl or ply..... I have an order with 1 stl and another one with 2.
So I import upper-lower, export files, set them as stl.
If I need to redo this, I go back to this order and Advanced- reset- created (so it sets back the order to the created mode then you can import new files)

So for what you're trying to do, you can probably have an already created case.
Import new files, trim them, close, save the changes. Export scans.

I guess they would be saved trimmed.

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
I use Dental Wings for thast though, I create a partial case, import the stl, clean them, right click, export XD . People can say anything on Dental Wings but simple stuff like this should be everywhere