Scan single die 3shape E4

K

KimK

Reaction score
Hello,

How do I set up a case on the 3shape E4 scanner to scan just a single die? I don’t want to scan it in the model and I can’t seem to generate an STL file of just the die by itself when I set the case up as scan in the model. I’m also having issues with the scan quality around the margin not being very clear. Please help! Thank you!

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
For the case you scanned in regularly, right click, advanced, explore order. Click on scans. There should be a file for upper, lower, and then a separate folder I can’t remember the name of. The die scan will be in that folder as a dcm. To convert it to STL, start a new order, enter a random tooth, click it as digital impression, unsectioned, no opposing. Import that die scan when it says to import the prep arch. Then export that scan as an STL. Kind of a convoluted process, there might be a way to do it with less steps, but that’ll work for you.

As far as scan quality, center the die directly in the plate, look down on the plate, and you should be able to see all the margin, ie, make sure it’s not tilted one way weirdly. Then make sure your settings in the scan software for die quality scan are set to detailed. You can then click scan, and then on the left hand side after scanning there will be a button where you can highlight certain parts of the die to get an even more detailed scan.

K

KimK

Reaction score
For the case you scanned in regularly, right click, advanced, explore order. Click on scans. There should be a file for upper, lower, and then a separate folder I can’t remember the name of. The die scan will be in that folder as a dcm. To convert it to STL, start a new order, enter a random tooth, click it as digital impression, unsectioned, no opposing. Import that die scan when it says to import the prep arch. Then export that scan as an STL. Kind of a convoluted process, there might be a way to do it with less steps, but that’ll work for you.

As far as scan quality, center the die directly in the plate, look down on the plate, and you should be able to see all the margin, ie, make sure it’s not tilted one way weirdly. Then make sure your settings in the scan software for die quality scan are set to detailed. You can then click scan, and then on the left hand side after scanning there will be a button where you can highlight certain parts of the die to get an even more detailed scan.
Thank you this worked for me!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Select any tooth, Click frame, select the coping, set antagonist and neighborhood scan to none and scan. In scan go to setting not speed but detail, enhanced detail enabled and go for it.