Renfert lay:art crystal aqua

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
It's a pretty slick tray. I keep the porc powder pile touching the strip to a minimum, or the porc seems
too wet. Overall nice tray.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new tray. how do you like it so far?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Jason, did you use the older Smile-Line tray they still sell ? if so, how does it compare to this one with the strips ?

I have the larger Smile-Line $300. tray, but needs to be cleaned in a larger burnout oven than I have.... dirt cheap .. make offer !

Last edited:
Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Charles, is your SmileLine tray the one with the ceramic slab and the white or black membrane that goes on top? I use the umid light tray like that and never really liked if until I made some changes I picked up at a Brad Jones course. I use the white membrane because it's more durable. Then get some black nylon suit lining from a fabric store and cut it to size and seal the edges with some superglue and lay it over the white membrane. I put just enough water in the reservoir to keep the stone damp. Then I use build up liquid to wet the porcelain from the top (Ceramic 7).
There's something about the suit liner that wicks just the right amount of moisture and keeps the porcelain at the perfect consistency plus it's easy on your brush.
To clean mine I steam it good once a week and once a month I fill the reservoir with bleach and leave the slab and white membrane in it over a weekend and they're good as new.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Jason how do you like it ? I want a new tray , I have a classic smile line , but need a change , mostly because I am tired looking at it !

C

charles007

Reaction score
U Mid Classic with white membranes
I heard about the fabric several years ago and forgot to try it..
Cleaning, thanks, I will try bleach, steam cleaning/ lol no way, its dirtier than an old denture lab.. haha

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I love it so far. I did limit how much of the powder contacts the strips. It was a little too moist at first.

It is a good size and the brush flows very nicely against the smooth glass. Ceramic does not"run" from the brush, due to consistency.

I really like the chart on the lid. You can mark each area with the appropriate ceramic in that area. Helps A.D.D. people like me not lose our place lol.

If I come across any issues I will be sure to post. ;)

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Helps A.D.D. people like me not lose our place lol.
I know exactly what you mean!! No matter how many times I remind myself, if there are two different porcelains on my tray I will mix them up before I'm done.

C

charles007

Reaction score
How do you like the LayArt brush, haven't tried that model of Renfert brush

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I use the one with the 19 separate compartments. Without the strips but with the unglazed areas in each compartments that the water comes through.
IMG_7182 (2).JPG

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Personally I use two trays, and recommend exclusively using one for zirconia and one for pfms. Neurotic perhaps.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Al, does the non glazed surface abrade your brush tip after awhile?

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I've used this tray for 5 months now. I have one of the new smile line trays also but this one is much better. The only problems I have encountered is the writing on the plastic will become permanent is left to long. You also have to be careful to rinse the wicking strips when changing porcelain because some will remain in the crevice after rinsing. Otherwise it is kind to the brush and if you limit the contact with the strip, it will keep the porcelain a good consistency for a long time.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I don't have any thing I. An remember to compare it to. Been using these type of trays forever. I buy 6 brushes at a time. When the tip wears I open another and use the older one for contouring and the sharp one for detail. Then it goes to the model room. I use old ones to put sealer (wax) on opposing and contacts or some to put bass line on bases or spreading ceramic etch on inside of crowns. My wife has some for touching up paint spots on the walls of the house. So I get a lot of use out of them. I think one for detail lasts me 2 months and then for contouring longer than that.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Sheez I'm using my phone and auto correct is changing my words. So it looks like a 5 th grader typed my response.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I used the renfert tropicana trays for a long time. They just ate my brush tips up. This one doesn't seem like it is going to do that?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
je6uzusu.jpg

This is what I use.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gbmcdt

gbmcdt

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that tray pic Jason. Looks awesome...somebody pretty cool must have sold you that! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
Inside the tray what kind of liquid you put?
Distilled water and modeling liquid (which?) Or both mixed?

Top Bottom