Quick question- I have 2 dentists that are recently scanning for removables and I may need to buy a printer to print models...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You don’t need a resin printer to make models.
The Renfert Simplex filament printer doesn’t require resin, light curing or a wash bath etc.
Check out filament printer on Amazon.
Or Nitrile gloves.

I prefer not to have the resin fumes permeate through my house.
Thank goodness I have a spare room I set my Phrozen up in. I can close the door and not have to deal with the smell or in rigging up some sort of ventilation hood etc.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Or Nitrile gloves.

Thank goodness I have a spare room I set my Phrozen up in. I can close the door and not have to deal with the smell or in rigging up some sort of ventilation hood etc.
I hear you can save money by using exocad and then pay 50k licensing to use a carbon printer.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
When he said 2 dentists are recently scanning for removable, it goes downhill from there.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
When he said 2 dentists are recently scanning for removable, it goes downhill from there.
They want to send me edentulous scans- have me print models, duplicate in stone and return wax rims to continue on analog... They both seem to think scanning an edentulous arch (or toothed for a partial or provisional) would be easier and more consistent than old school impressions. I'm thinking they may be right... Cheaper and less messy too...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
They want to send me edentulous scans- have me print models, duplicate in stone and return wax rims to continue on analog... They both seem to think scanning an edentulous arch (or toothed for a partial or provisional) would be easier and more consistent than old school impressions. I'm thinking they may be right... Cheaper and less messy too...
Well at least they're going to have you convert to analog, that way when their vast experience in denture building doesn't work out, you can fix it conventionally.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Edentulous scanning can be a challenge for a rookie so they better invest in a Trios 5

Partials are a breeze and I have no issues printing with my filament printer regardless of what the so called experts say. I silicone dupe my pla models and process conventionally.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
If you are serious about getting into printing look at a Asiga pro 4k and not the max. Spend the extra up front and you will not be sorry. The future and present is all about printing and you need the volume of the plate trust me. Do not sell yourself short you will kick yourself in the long run. I am a small lab and have 2 4k's that run all day and a new post processor that cost me a small fortune. You need to look at the big picture and never look back

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong printing models for dentures or partials. They are very accurate.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Printed from a competent scan there is nothing wrong.

Missing landmarks and vestibule from a sloppy scan will be the same as a sloppy impression tray.

Accuracy comes from the act of duplicating an oral landscape, not the method. If you're a dumbass with an impression tray, you're probably going to be a dumbass with a scanner.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
From my experience, the patient is the biggest challenge. It’s not hard to scan the important landmarks if the patient lets you. The doctor knows what he needs to capture but can be hindered when the patient starts to gag, clench, or salivate.
The advantage is that he can stop and wait for the patient to recover before proceeding.
I highly recommend that you sit chairside with the doctor for a few scans and communicate what you need to build your model as well as experience their side of the procedure.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The doctor knows what he needs to capture but can be hindered when the patient starts to gag, clench, or salivate.
Maybe they know, maybe they don't.
Maybe they know and don't care.
I've had to reject a lot of impressions because of the "oh I didn't get to see that one, I was busy".

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe they know, maybe they don't.
Maybe they know and don't care.
I've had to reject a lot of impressions because of the "oh I didn't get to see that one, I was busy".
I don’t work for those drs.