Quick question- I have 2 dentists that are recently scanning for removables and I may need to buy a printer to print models...

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
I know zero about this but may need to buy a printer or find a local outsourcer (Chicago area).
Suggestions and experiences would be appreciated!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I bought a filament printer from Renfert. I print models for c and b and removables with it .
I paid 6K for it and had I known then what I know now I would have bought a 1500$ printer from Amazon.
That’s all you need for models.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
I bought a filament printer from Renfert. I print models for c and b and removables with it .
I paid 6K for it and had I known then what I know now I would have bought a 1500$ printer from Amazon.
That’s all you need for models.
Full arch edentulous models??? THANKS!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
By the way, the filament costs me around 35-40$ on Amazon. Renfert filament is around 150-200$ .

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
Buy a phrozen from Amazon. They're 30% off right now for some of them. Then go on Facebook and follow Rick Ferguson and his group 3D dental printing. He can show you all the things for a full setup with the printer on Amazon it's going to cost you about $600. Then Ferguson has all of the printing parameters on his website and you can talk to him about what's best to use. Or you can use frozen's model printing resin. It's about $40 a kilogram. Know that you're going to want to duplicate all those models so have a good duplicating machine. Hydrocolloid or whatever.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You don’t need a resin printer to make models.
The Renfert Simplex filament printer doesn’t require resin, light curing or a wash bath etc.
Check out filament printer on Amazon.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'd outsource to a lab (maybe even mine...shameless plug) that already is doing this till you have more time to do your homework and become familiar with printing. It's not an overnight process and you're dealing with 'real' cases right now is my suggestion. Plus with edentulous cases, accuracy becomes a big issue over large areas, including the way it was scanned.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Can I see a picture of filament printed model for a removable job? It does not sound right.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I agree with TheLabGuy. There’s a learning curve. If you’re willing to learn here is what I would do.

1. Phrozen Mini4k (under $400) printer
2. Phrozen resin 4k ($40)
3. Phrozen wash and cure ($210). You could get an ultra Sonic for cheaper and the curebox use to be a stand alone but not anymore
4. Blenderfordental model module ($79)

Total investment around $830

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I agree with TheLabGuy. There’s a learning curve. If you’re willing to learn here is what I would do.

1. Phrozen Mini4k (under $400) printer
2. Phrozen resin 4k ($40)
3. Phrozen wash and cure ($210). You could get an ultra Sonic for cheaper and the curebox use to be a stand alone but not anymore
4. Blenderfordental model module ($79)

Total investment around $830
Thank you, #4 is the information and link I needed :)

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Also recommending a Phrozen or similar-tier hobby resin printer, it opens a lot of doors. It'll also let you do a lot more than a FDM printer will, which just barely has the resolution/surface accuracy to do *some* models for *some* dental purposes. The world is your oyster for a $500 resin printer, and the post-processing stuff isn't really a big deal unless you're working out of your windowless studio apartment.

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
You don’t need a resin printer to make models.
The Renfert Simplex filament printer doesn’t require resin, light curing or a wash bath etc.
Check out filament printer on Amazon.

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
Do I agree it is not necessary to have a resin printer You're not going to be spending more by having a resin printer. You will have a better outcome for the exact same price. Having printed both and use both a resin printer is far superior in quality even for something as cheap as a frozen. It look better for the doctors as well. If you are processing and are duplicating to get the models I would rather have a resin model duplicated and process on a smooth surface then process on a bunch of lines. It's not going to change anything in terms of price though. The resin and the school are about the same price and it is definitely a proven workflow with resin. The way I agree you should find someone to outsource maybe a couple labs and see which process you like better for your work.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I prefer not to have the resin fumes permeate through my house.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You can even use medit to make your models which is free .
Thanks :) I Bookmarked a couple of Medit YouTube videos to watch over the weekend. But if Blenderfrodental is more intuitive and easier for me to follow, I don't mind paying $80.00 for it :)