Printing a digital wax up with the wax up and prepped arch connected? 3shape.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
It feels like I’m having a stupid moment here and missing something very obvious, but I can’t get this to go through model builder and here’s the dilemma I’m running into……

So I have a digital scan I prepped back digitally. What I’m trying to do is design off of that prepped back model, and print the prep arch and the wax up’s all as one single model. The issue is that the way 3shape does the copy and append cad design function, it makes two STL files into a single file, but it doesn’t actually conjoin the edges of the STL. So when I go to print the model even though it’s a single STL, model builder takes the teeth off of the model because they’re not technically connected. I attached an image of a cross cut between that appended STL to show what I’m talking about. I was thinking of running it through blender and performing a Boolean operations on it to get an actual true merging of the STLs, but the issue is there’s no way to output a design from 3shape without 3shape randomizing the cooordinates of the STLs. And I can’t just go into the order form and grab the non randomized coordinates because they are registered as DCM files, and I can’t import that into blender. And I can’t perform a Boolean operations on the appended cad design model because it’s technically registered as one STL. It feels like I’m way overthinking this whole thing and there’s some simple solution I’m not thinking of, any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1927.jpeg
    IMG_1927.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Never mind figured it out.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
How did you figure it out, what did you do? Enquiring 3Shape minds want to know :)
Ends up I was way overthinking it. I guess the new versions of model builder they added a button that combines the prep arch and design. I was doing it the other way where I was taking the file, appending cad design to the file, then bringing that appended file into 3shape. Which model builder really didn’t like.

I realized after I posted as well that I could convert the non randomized coordinates for the dcm files into stl, without losing the coordinates, and do a Boolean operations in blender. So that’s an alternative workaround if you don’t got the version of model builder with that button

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ends up I was way overthinking it. I guess the new versions of model builder they added a button that combines the prep arch and design. I was doing it the other way where I was taking the file, appending cad design to the file, then bringing that appended file into 3shape. Which model builder really didn’t like.

I realized after I posted as well that I could convert the non randomized coordinates for the dcm files into stl, without losing the coordinates, and do a Boolean operations in blender. So that’s an alternative workaround if you don’t got the version of model builder with that button
Thank you :)