Preferred impression material/stone/cast partials

O

oldretread

Reaction score
What do most labs prefer for impression material and pour up stone for cast metal partials? Prefer impression only and pour up by fabricating lab? These would be for cases that are sent out to outside lab. Thanks for any suggestions.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
What do most labs prefer for impression material and pour up stone for cast metal partials? Prefer impression only and pour up by fabricating lab? These would be for cases that are sent out to outside lab. Thanks for any suggestions.
I'm not picky about impression materials as long as what doc is doing with them is appropriate.
Most times the models are already poured( the clinics seem the prefer die stone).
Some are using Accudent ii, and the results are predictable.
My Massad doc use Aquacil in conjunction with the Massad-Strong Dentplant tray. Adherence to this protocol gives excellent results. Usually in these cases I box and pour myself. For the framework production I go with Resinrock. For Acrylic processing I pour either a second time or dupe in silicone and pour in Flowstone.
If my frame lab sends me a master dupe for processing, its in labstone.
The rest of my docs usually gravitate to alginate or VPS and the results are dependent on their ablility.

giessener

giessener

Reaction score
I remember plaster impressions with copper tubes for crown and bridge and compound impressions for dentures. I guess that dates me:proud:. Acording to one journal " Dental impression materials for prosthodontic treatment must be easy to use, precisely replicate oral tisssue, be dimensionally stable, and be compatible with gymsum materials". Almost all impression materials do that used properly. Vinyl polysiloxane and silicone have been working best for us. We use resinrock by Whipmix which is a type 4 die stone. The most important thing is the technical skill of the clinician and technician and working together to get it right. almost no one uses the proper trays for removable. The dimensional change in Anterior compared to posterior is always more. Proper trays helps this. Hope this helps. Sorry, no magic bullet.:cool:

L

labdude

Reaction score
I had a friend back in L.A. tell me about how they used to use plaster for impressions. The guy was in his 60's, that was back in the mid 1970's.
You ever handle plaster impressions???
I mean, wow. You ever meet Tut?
Were things actually dated back then??:becky::peep:

O

oldretread

Reaction score
Giessener,
I recently talked the Dr. (I work an in office lab) into getting the Pozzi Super Tray Kit for edentulous impressions(re usable/autoclavable). Immediate improvement in the impressions that come into the lab. Would be interested in what trays/impression material you or others use for dentulous impressions. At present they are using three size, S<M>L> disposable trays. Too much time wasted with not too good impressions and retakes.
Haven't seen comparable, multi sized, similar trays. Any suggestions from you or other members appreciated.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Giessener,
I recently talked the Dr. (I work an in office lab) into getting the Pozzi Super Tray Kit for edentulous impressions(re usable/autoclavable). Immediate improvement in the impressions that come into the lab. Would be interested in what trays/impression material you or others use for dentulous impressions. At present they are using three size, S<M>L> disposable trays. Too much time wasted with not too good impressions and retakes.
Haven't seen comparable, multi sized, similar trays. Any suggestions from you or other members appreciated.

Candulor Dental -Accu-Dent� System I

Candulor Dental -Accu-Dent� System II

giessener

giessener

Reaction score
both systems are available Ivoclar also. There impression material is great to (Accu-Gel). 2 systems one for completely endentulous, and one for partial dentures. same as last post.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Giessener,
If he wants to use vps with a single use tray he got to at least look at the Massad trays. I have seen drs master the border molding protocol very quickly and the improvement is immense.
If you want an alginate system ACCUDENT I and II.

O

oldretread

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the Accudent II trays will be the answer to this.
Again thanks from the old geezer.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that alginate, no matter how good will only capture a mucostatic outline. Any border molding beyond a few cursory tugs and pinch are not possible.
It does, however produce predictable results when properly used.

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
A vote for polyether

My most consistent results have actually been from Polyethers, Polygel/Impergum.

I've always considered polyvinylsiloxane the biggest joke dentistry has ever played on itself. It is possibly the worst material ever invented, due in great part to its blind acceptance and overwhelming promotion.

Alginate is wonderful, in the right hands, however the scales are tilted in that Polyethers avoid the ambiguities of alginate.

JMHO.

And, yup, I'm old enough to have worked on plenty of plaster impressions. Impressive stuff in the right hands.