Nobel Procera optical scanner owners/users

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
When this scanner and software reach its full potential it will be a very impressive piece of kit.
We were sold it at the IDS 2009, but what they claimed it was capable of and what it actually did was worlds apart. We were initially very disappointed.
Gradually it is getting better but we seem to find bug after bug and the UK support could be much better.

I'm sorry..that sucks. I could say that about any piece of hardware - put together phony list of features and promises and keep telling everyone 'it's coming'. Is it still not delivering what was advertised? How do they even get away with that??

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree that Nobel was quick to release this unit trying to make midwinter a couple years back.

Yes there were grand promises, and yes things have continued to evolve to the point that its a very very solid system. The only thing it can't do that it originally was touted to do is impression scanning. It probably will never do that.

As for everything else it is working fantastically for me and my clients.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The thing that burns me about the new scanner is the manner in which the reps are promoting it.

Rather than sell you on the features and benefots, they cut off support for the Forte, which is fine, because renishaw just took over anyway, but the part where they tell your doctors that they need to send to lab "A" because they have the newer, better scanner, and that lab "B" who has been a customer for a decade and a half and owns the Forte is no longer able to deliver a quality product.

Selling through coercion and intimadation is counterproductive when you start dealing with a thick headed guy like me. It really brings out my character defects.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
The thing that burns me about the new scanner is the manner in which the reps are promoting it.

Rather than sell you on the features and benefots, they cut off support for the Forte, which is fine, because renishaw just took over anyway, but the part where they tell your doctors that they need to send to lab "A" because they have the newer, better scanner, and that lab "B" who has been a customer for a decade and a half and owns the Forte is no longer able to deliver a quality product.

Selling through coercion and intimadation is counterproductive when you start dealing with a thick headed guy like me. It really brings out my character defects.

Are you serious? what a load of bs

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Are you serious? what a load of bs

The local rep did it to my partners dad. Right here in my own parking lot. We got it squared away, but I'm glad I had a few weeks to cool off before we met in person about it.

B

bentley

Reaction score
Procera milled Chrome:
Cobalt-61.2%, Chromium 28.2%,Tungsten 9.1%, Silicon 1.5%. Iron, Manganese, Nitrogen, Nobium, each<1%

I have done 30 milled bars on the Procera scanner-all titanium and ALL have fit perfectly-awesome scanner. I would like to hear more thoughts on milled chrome-I have just scanned my first CC frame and will be testing for porcelain. If the fit is anything like I get with milled TI bars then I may never cast again-the design functions are amazing.

My question is why CC is not more widely used? It is used in hip replacements and there are some law firms filing suits involving higher chromium levels in patients blood who have these replacements. Is that the reason? Chrome seems to be more widley used in Europe-Is U.S. just too populated with money-grubbing attys and there is too much fear? There seems to no evidence that the CC is hazardous and it's been used forever in partials. I understand the insurance reimbursement but I think dentists would like a flat rate for pfms especially if it involves the superior fit of milled restorations. Inline and Vita pocelains are both compatible.
Lets hear more on this topic!! What are the thoughts

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"but the part where they tell your doctors that they need to send to lab "A" because they have the newer, better scanner, and that lab "B" who has been a customer for a decade and a half and owns the Forte is no longer able to deliver a quality product."

Ive had something similar to this going on with Straumann. We have the Sirona inlab system so can design cares abutments and Struamnn mill them, but the reps have tried to send the odd client onto a lab with the proper straumann scanner.

Bit of a joke considering I support them with maintaining my platinum techs status!

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
I'm testing the new Procera scanner and software.i like to ask is there any online education possibility?If somebody can inform me it will be very helpfull.I thinking about online education videos.Thank you.

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
3shape ruls, forget Procera

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
i know it,but some of my customers want procera,i want to learn it but i don't find any usefull video on the net...

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Please help with FCZ Design with procera scanner. I have a scanner and want to do these in house and not buy 3shape if it duplicates something on site. Ok, so hear this my designer said that we are struggling with design as the software does not allow anatomical design for FCZ, you can do anatomical for Telio, EMAX and FCC CC but to do the Zr crowns you have to use the cutback software used to design cutback crowns. Does anyone know how to get better design with the procera 4.1.5 I am so upset that this scanner/software cost 2 times as much and doesn't do this. Thanks in advance.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
I don't think they officially support that product. I have heard of users ordering it. By ordering it as another product that CZ is allowed. Like - Wax it up and scan.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If you have read any of my posts on Nobel and its optical scanner you will realize I am a big supporter of the company and what I use the system for. With that being said I can officially say the full contour design element of the software is very poor. While it is operational any other CAD is more intuitive and easily modifiable. Like others have stated the only way you can do FCZ is to wax it up and do a double scan. I have done it, they are ugly and the secondary anatomy will not be exactly what you waxed in. It will fit contacts perfectly and primary anatomy will be there but that's it.

Ok that's the official statement as of today, I hear that the next software update will have a bunch more features to aid in FC design, however I have not heard if they will be officially launching a new product to support FCZ, if I was a betting man since they produce their zircon differently I would think not.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I just purchased the Nobel system to enter the abutment/ bars arena. As a 3Shape user FC designer for over 2 years, I can say that the Nobel FC modelling is poor when compared, very frustrating, but thats what I have my 3Shape for.

Last edited:
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
out of interest whats the going rate for one of those at the moment?

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
I just purchased the Nobel system to enter the abutment/ bars arena. As a 3Shape user FC designer for over 2 years, I can say that the Nobel FC modelling is poor when compared, very frustrating, but thats what I have my 3Shape for.

Just of curiosity, what was your rationale in investing in another scanner when the 3Shape System is very capable of designing abutments, implant bridges and bars?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Retail- $46,000
Me-Much much less

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Just of curiosity, what was your rationale in investing in another scanner when the 3Shape System is very capable of designing abutments, implant bridges and bars?

The Nobel reps have major pull on the surgeons in my town. They place either Nobel or Staumann. Its more hiring an outside salesman and leverage then the scanner itself. I wish I could just use my 3Shape...doh!

I have 3 new account now and potential for much more with our plan. I am a new lab and recent grad in 07' so I need all the outside help I can get to grow when competing with all the established labs

Last edited:
Top Bottom