Multilayered zirconia

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Is anyone using multilayered zirconia (different strength and translucency) with good results? I have tried a few: (Katana YML, Sagemax T Multi) with mixed results (visible demarcation line, too much chroma, not enough chroma)
I have Nacera Pearl Natural on the way to try. Need something for full contour medium span bridges especially anterior.
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Is anyone using multilayered zirconia (different strength and translucency) with good results? I have tried a few: (Katana YML, Sagemax T Multi) with mixed results (visible demarcation line, too much chroma, not enough chroma)
I have Nacera Pearl Natural on the way to try. Need something for full contour medium span bridges especially anterior.
We use Ivoclar's Prime. It doesn't have the visible demarcation line. We have a puck for each of the vita shades. We also do some presinter staining on all our zirconia. Best part about this zirconia is that its indicated for everything from single tooth restorations to full arch implant bridges.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
We use Ivoclar's Prime. It doesn't have the visible demarcation line. We have a puck for each of the vita shades. We also do some presinter staining on all our zirconia. Best part about this zirconia is that its indicated for everything from single tooth restorations to full arch implant bridges.
Prime is next on my list to try. How is the incisal translucency and did it take a lot of tweaking to get good results?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, mostly using multilayer. Many times it is a hit or miss. For single units, I use Ivo's Prime Esthetic and it has worked 'well' for me. However, P. Esthetic is among the most expensive ones. But, I have had my fare share of trouble with Ivoclar's Multi and Prime. Issues I have run into with Ivoclar's Zr is that the color intensity changes after sintering and while glazing. So, the material, in my mind, is not stable.

For bridges I use Argen's HT+ multilayer which has worked well and is not too expensive. I also use Whitepeakes occasionally.

I tried Vita before but ironically, the shade was not a match... I also want to try the new Nacera from Vita. Let us know how it went.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, mostly using multilayer. Many times it is a hit or miss. For single units, I use Ivo's Prime Esthetic and it has worked 'well' for me. However, P. Esthetic is among the most expensive ones. But, I have had my fare share of trouble with Ivoclar's Multi and Prime. Issues I have run into with Ivoclar's Zr is that the color intensity changes after sintering and while glazing. So, the material, in my mind, is not stable.

For bridges I use Argen's HT+ multilayer which has worked well and is not too expensive. I also use Whitepeakes occasionally.

I tried Vita before but ironically, the shade was not a match... I also want to try the new Nacera from Vita. Let us know how it went.
I primarily use Argen's HT+multi and ST multi but wanted something with strength and translucency in the same puck and be consistent with all shades.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Anybody interested in a 3D Multi Zirconia I'll gladly send you one for FREE !
That means FREE shipping as well ( Continental U.S )

57% Translucency
1080 MPa - Rated for all applications - Full Mouth Etc.

No need for 'this brand for anteriors & that brand for full mouth'

Message me : Lab name, address, your name .

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
When we wanted to stop dipping unshaded and go to multilayer we tried katana YML and argen as well, ended up going with ivoclar because it has a more gradual transition into the incisal, but wow is it expensive. It was little to no adjustment, but we do have an ivoclar S1 sintering oven with preprogrammed cycles. We think it looks way nicer, but our accounts say they haven't noticed anything different, so we might switch back.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like Prime Esthetic is worth a try.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just remember Prime Esthetic is 850 mpa dentine into 650 Incisal, and about 3.6 mpa fracture toughness on the dentine side.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Just remember Prime Esthetic is 850 mpa dentine into 650 Incisal, and about 3.6 mpa fracture toughness on the dentine side.
Thank you, that is a little weaker than I need. I need to research Ivoclar's zr.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Prime is 1200 mpa ging into 650 mpa Inc and 5.0 fracture toughness on the dentine, ging side.
That sounds what I am looking for. Will get a disc after I try Nacera.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That sounds what I am looking for. Will get a disc after I try Nacera.
I'm delivering a HS posterior crown I nested in the ging 1/2 of Prime. At times when I have the occlusal room, I'll move it up in the disc as needed to get more of an Inc look. It tends to cover a lot of bases, including layering anteriors. You just have to play with where you nest in the disc, for the trans and strength you're looking for. And like Brett, I'm starting to do more and more pre sinter coloring, and needing little to no stain post sinter.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I'm delivering a HS posterior crown I nested in the ging 1/2 of Prime. At times when I have the occlusal room, I'll move it up in the disc as needed to get more of an Inc look. It tends to cover a lot of bases, including layering anteriors. You just have to play with where you nest in the disc, for the trans and strength you're looking for. And like Brett, I'm starting to do more and more pre sinter coloring, and needing little to no stain post sinter.
So far I am trying to stay away from coloring due to fear of messing up the elements mostly and also time. I am sure I probably would have to stain even if I pre sinter color. I was really hoping for Katana YML to work out . A2 and D3 shades were pretty good but B1 and B3 were two shades darker and low value with demarcation line very visible. Tech support couldn't resolve the issue.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ditto, the only stains we use is for the pink on All-on-X's cases because i'm a lazy ceramist ;)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
from time to time i see the layer lines in the whitepeaks....and they quickly replace it and recall the bad puck. otherwise, we have been having fairly good luck with them for awhile now. not all of the darker shades are spot on, but i have yet to see any branded zirconia hit the dark c3/4 d3/4 shades accurately. i am able to utilize them or mill a shade higher and stain accordingly.

that said, one of these days someone will nail those darker shades (probably vita imho) and when they do it will save much headache and grumbling lol

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
from time to time i see the layer lines in the whitepeaks....and they quickly replace it and recall the bad puck. otherwise, we have been having fairly good luck with them for awhile now. not all of the darker shades are spot on, but i have yet to see any branded zirconia hit the dark c3/4 d3/4 shades accurately. i am able to utilize them or mill a shade higher and stain accordingly.

that said, one of these days someone will nail those darker shades (probably vita imho) and when they do it will save much headache and grumbling lol
I will investigate whitepeaks. I heard the name but not familiar with their offerings.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I will investigate whitepeaks. I heard the name but not familiar with their offerings.
they have lots of supplies beyond just pucks of zirc. good quality german stuff. have yet to try everything but the items i have used are better than just decent.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Argen and Amman Girbach gen x are very good.

Top Bottom