Model Printing??

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if any of you have moved to in house printed models as a routine for any work flows. If so what printer, haw has the ROI worked out? What is the materials cost? How many model kits per day can your printer print?
Thanks for the help,
bob

NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
I've started messing around with printing iTero models instead of ordering their expensive milled models. So far, it seems to work well. The printer is Envisiontec. We get a liter of model resin for $300. I figure that each model cost around $10, depending on the size. I can print 4-6 quarter arches at a time, with each print job taking around 2.5 hours. We've yet to fully replace iTero models with this, but it seems promising.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I've started messing around with printing iTero models instead of ordering their expensive milled models. So far, it seems to work well. The printer is Envisiontec. We get a liter of model resin for $300. I figure that each model cost around $10, depending on the size. I can print 4-6 quarter arches at a time, with each print job taking around 2.5 hours. We've yet to fully replace iTero models with this, but it seems promising.

Hi,
Which ETec printer are you using? Al Siblani (from ETec) is telling me he has a printer and models material and the material cost is about $250 for a quat kit.
Thanks,
Bob

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
I have got an EnvisionTec that we are selling if anyone is interested.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Have you looked at the vflash bob? they go for like 6-10 k on ebay?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hollow Model from 3D Systems printer that I made years ago. 1.7mm thick walls.
It is COS model. Total cost for materials was under $4 for the cheaper plastic material.

It is 3x more accurate than the SLA models.

You can find used SLA printers and retro-fit better aftermarket Laser Systems and use cheaper resins. That's what I'd do.. Probably for 1/10th whatever you'd spend.

There was an SLA printer in NY recently for under $3k!! I think it was $250k new. You would add new Laser System and rebuild it. There are companys that do exactly that.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0755.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0755.jpg

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Hahaha...are they terrible?

It's for kids. It's not terrible but it's not for models, plus 3D doesn't make the Vflash anymore and they replaced it with their newer Projet 1500. Look into 3D Systems Model Printer 3000, $5 quadrant sets, better resolution than SLA.

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
We are using both the Objet Eden 350v and the EnvisionTEC PP4. Both are great printers for the roles we have them performing in the lab. We keep the Objet for producing models based on intraoral scans (Lava COS, E4D, Cerec, etc) and checking the contacts and occlusion, which works great. For any models where porcelain has to be hand stacked or any other physical work needs done we will do the model on the EnvisionTEC as the material produces a product closer to stone. Per unit cost, without counting pennies, they are about the same. The Objet is much faster and can produce 20+ models at a time but again they are not good for doing anything other than checking fits and occlusion. The EnvisionTEC is a bit slower and with the PP4 is only capable of producing 2-3 models at a time, but with the tradeoff of a more familiar model. Before making any choices just ask yourself what role you see the printer performing in your lab.

In regards to ROI it depends on what volume of intraoral scans you receive in a day and the cost difference between ordering a model, outsourcing to someone else who has a printer, or producing onsite.

Hope this helps

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
War in Middle East?

No more Material or Support from Objet soon?

Just thinking out loud here...

Chris, you know 3D Systems has material 2x cheaper than what you are using? You get Eight tubes for sameprice of model material. It ends up cheaper than the envisiontec and Objet.

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
What is 3D systems charging a kilo for their model material? The demo models they sent us looked really nice. 35 micron resolution right? Sadly they didn't have that material or a production version of the model printers when we started to get involved in this.

... also the Invision DP we currently have, although dated, has made me somewhat nervous...

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
what problems are you having with the invision dp?

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
Reliability mostly, primarily cartridge change issues and the LOM sensors in the head. The customer service on the machine was good but when you start to get on a first name basis with the service personnel...

When it works the parts are good but every few weeks we seem to have a new (and different) problem with it. Could just be our machine. It has been much better behaved now that we only run 3 times a week during the day.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have had 100 different problems that I never had a chance to figure out. LOL

They come and go.

Starting your printer with people around is the way to go. You can't start a print job and leave for the night. You will miss all the excitement.

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
I have had 100 different problems that I never had a chance to figure out. LOL

They come and go.

Starting your printer with people around is the way to go. You can't start a print job and leave for the night. You will miss all the excitement.

Especially the mind games where it acts like it's ok, you go check something else, and then come back to find that it has dropped 6 cartridges.

Again this is just ONE machine and may not reflect the majority of 3D Systems products.

Top Bottom