Lets design a Ti base...

die-modellmacher.de

die-modellmacher.de

Reaction score
... (see the healing caps I made, they fit without adjustments)...
Sorry Zero, didn't see the fotos! Did you design them with exocad or just with openscad, ignoring the gingiva situation?

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yes, I did understand that it does STL export. But what does iit help you, Zero? Do you have a converter for .STL to .sdfa, the proprietery format of exocad? Without that in your library no chance to design an abutment. I'm a Beta-Tester of exocad, running release 6004 and, by the way, exoplan (inkl. the implant editor) which is a magnificent planning software. If you've got a workaround that would be very interesting for me. Still looking for a method to create individual healing caps! Could you please let me know or give me a link to your post with the cap?
I agree, most cam's can change the STL-geometry into predifined milling paths generated from primitives. If you want to use openscad to generate paths that doesn't implement in your cam, then I understand the goal. ;)

The files do not have to be in sdfa format to be usable in exocad. I have stl in some if the custom implant libraries I have made. They work fine.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Yes, I did understand that it does STL export. But what does iit help you, Zero? Do you have a converter for .STL to .sdfa, the proprietery format of exocad? Without that in your library no chance to design an abutment. I'm a Beta-Tester of exocad, running release 6004 and, by the way, exoplan (inkl. the implant editor) which is a magnificent planning software. If you've got a workaround that would be very interesting for me. Still looking for a method to create individual healing caps! Could you please let me know or give me a link to your post with the cap?
I agree, most cam's can change the STL-geometry into predifined milling paths generated from primitives. If you want to use openscad to generate paths that doesn't implement in your cam, then I understand the goal. ;)

Up to the latest release for ordinary folks supports the use of STL's if you want to put together a custom impl. lib for yourself...sure will b1tch about it with all sorts of warnings, but still let you use it... it would be shameful if they nixed this feature in their release candidate :(
Creating healing caps is a simple two step process, create an abutment in Exo with connection geometry, import the whole thing in Rhino (models included) then create a top part on that abutment...

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Sorry Zero, didn't see the fotos! Did you design them with exocad or just with openscad, ignoring the gingiva situation?

Those were prototypes created with OpenSCAD...the idea is to make a set of 3 for tissue training in relation to the impl. placement depth... a few lengths for each platform would cover most situations ;)

D

DrG

Reaction score
These were generated with OpenSCAD and cut from PEEK on my DWX-50...

View attachment 22310 View attachment 22311

This is exactly what I want to do.
I am Periodontist, have a CBCT, have used 3D implant software for a long time with surgical guides etc.
I also used Itero for a few years but am now moving to 3 shape and am doing my due diligence to buy a Mill.
I want to primarily mill Peek and PMMA for custom healing abutment (I suppose on a ti base) and long term esthetic provisional crown for immediate loading.
I may also consider milling a few surgical guides but am OK outsourcing. I don't think I want a printer...
I have received conflicting info in RE to 4 axis vs 5 axis and wet/dry.
To make your custom healing abut, I suppose a 4 axis is fine, correct?
To make esthetic screw retained provisional in multi layer PMMA, do I need a 5 axis ?
Thanks

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
To make your custom healing abut, I suppose a 4 axis is fine, correct?
To make esthetic screw retained provisional in multi layer PMMA, do I need a 5 axis ?
For a custom healing cap 4 axis if fine, in fact the milling cycles will proceed in 3 axii only. For a multi layer PMMA single, 4 axis if fine if your able to position it about the screw channel according to the 4th axis. Having said that I'd invest into a 5 axis mill to keep my options open, there's not too much of a price difference between a 4 and 5 axis mills anyways...

D

DrG

Reaction score
Thanks zero_zero !
An btw, if you guys need to pick my brain for implant clinical stuff, please do so. I am also here to contribute, if I can.

Top Bottom