Lets design a Ti base...

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Wouldn't you prefer something more CNC friendly than STL ? The guys I'm dealing with always want IGES or Parasolid...

It's so much better just going off a hand drawn sketch than stl, but it's easier to get dental to provide whatever they feel comfortable with. Reverse engineering is pretty straight forward if you know what it is you are making. You can't beat having actual parts to fit to.
The reason Straumann go original on original is because most parts are way off, despite the file the company uses;-) lol

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
This is pretty much a dedicated script for implant abutments. Does it store a database of past jobs to look at???

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
This is pretty much a dedicated script for implant abutments. Does it store a database of past jobs to look at???

This script only covers the BioH internal hex line, it's written to allow for easy change of dimensions if necessary. Each script generates a different output, so if you were to edit it let say to a 3.5mm platform, then you'd save it under a different name to preserve the original code. The "database" then, would be the list of files you saved while tinkering with the app...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
question for the Zero man: where does this place the zero of the base? at the bottom face of the hex? or at the disc portion?

reason i ask is because 3shape wants the zeros at the disc height as demonstrated

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
oh, i have read your script and i see you did include some mucking around to reposition it for 3shape. nevermind then.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The "zero point" is a relative term, it only matters when you put together a library then it's used as a reference to properly position the components.

IIRC 3shape libs. have the center at the top the connection geometry as pictured above. The coordinate system used by 3shape is rotated 90 degrees about the Y axis in comparison with the majority of CAD apps where the Z+ is facing "up".

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this is actually a much more fantastic thing than i originally envisioned. with your commentable uncommentables you have created a way to generate ti bases 1. in positive space, 2. for multiple co-ordinate systems, 3. without needing to create new bases with new zeros every time you transition.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
This is still, very awesome. Nice looking PEEK healing abutments

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Is it now time for your own scan body collection?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Is it now time for your own scan body collection?

I'd probably make a few (long/short) for different situations...getting it cut to tolerance is impossible with my hardware. :( Rather use factory scan-bodies that are made 3-5 microns true. Not saying that is not making acceptable parts for non critical applications like healing caps and temps, but there's lots of manual finishing involved smoothing out the sprues... something I wouldn't want to do with scan-bodies.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
youre-awesome.gif

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have no frigging idea what you did there, I sat in the back of that math class mumbling to myself that I'd probably never use that in the real world.:oops:

cnhart@me.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
It is a lovely thing!
The measurements are actually the key part for programming lathe turning coordinates, so the data is essentially all within this script for the lathe program. Using smart parametric programming, a Cnc programmer can actually write a variable program that takes these measurements into account.
So long as the shape is the same

die-modellmacher.de

die-modellmacher.de

Reaction score
Well done...
...unfortunately there is no way to converte it to exocad or 3shape proprietary format to let you use it with dental-cad. Even when you design a one-piece-abutment you need to replace your redesigned geometry in the *.stl file.
The output file is lightly modified and won't fit because the implant companys don't want you to mill their connections. In case you can do that replacement precisely, at least you or the dentist will loose warranty for the implant - that's the real hassle...;-)
I did that several times with a rotating base for bridges and bars. For that it's not dangerous because of the missing lock. I'm using rhino to realize that. I think it's easier and more intuitive in using than writing command-lines.
...and with 1000 $ it's not that expensive - but very powerful.

Greetz

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Well done...
...unfortunately there is no way to converte it to exocad or 3shape proprietary format to let you use it with dental-cad. Even when you design a one-piece-abutment you need to replace your redesigned geometry in the *.stl file.
The output file is lightly modified and won't fit because the implant companys don't want you to mill their connections. In case you can do that replacement precisely, at least you or the dentist will loose warranty for the implant - that's the real hassle...;-)
I did that several times with a rotating base for bridges and bars. For that it's not dangerous because of the missing lock. I'm using rhino to realize that. I think it's easier and more intuitive in using than writing command-lines.
...and with 1000 $ it's not that expensive - but very powerful.

Greetz

It does export STL's (in case you missed the first post) I've used it quite a few times with Exo...and when it comes to milling most CAM will recognize the implant geometry and will replace it with a precise parametric analogue so it will be cut to the mill tolerances (see the healing caps I made, they fit without adjustments).

If you designing with Rhino (or any other CAD app) you'd still have to type in all the parameters when you creating primitives then type again to rotate/move the components, and start all over again when you design a slightly different part vs. reusing the code written once...unless you're good with Rhino script ;)

die-modellmacher.de

die-modellmacher.de

Reaction score
It does export STL's (in case you missed the first post) I've used it quite a few times with Exo...and when it comes to milling most CAM will recognize the implant geometry and will replace it with a precise parametric analogue so it will be cut to the mill tolerances (see the healing caps I made, they fit without adjustments).

If you designing with Rhino (or any other CAD app) you'd still have to type in all the parameters when you creating primitives then type again to rotate/move the components, and start all over again when you design a slightly different part vs. reusing the code written once...unless you're good with Rhino script ;)
Yes, I did understand that it does STL export. But what does iit help you, Zero? Do you have a converter for .STL to .sdfa, the proprietery format of exocad? Without that in your library no chance to design an abutment. I'm a Beta-Tester of exocad, running release 6004 and, by the way, exoplan (inkl. the implant editor) which is a magnificent planning software. If you've got a workaround that would be very interesting for me. Still looking for a method to create individual healing caps! Could you please let me know or give me a link to your post with the cap?
I agree, most cam's can change the STL-geometry into predifined milling paths generated from primitives. If you want to use openscad to generate paths that doesn't implement in your cam, then I understand the goal. ;)

Top Bottom