Ivoclar ZirCAD

L

labtek

Reaction score
I have some disks in the lab, looking to experiment if I can ever find some time.

John,
You have had the multi layered discs for about 3 months now. Have you had the chance to experiment with them yet? Have you incorporated them in your daily production? How is the 800 mpa strength in real life use? We still get some breakage using 1000 mpa zirconia.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Normally we would recommend milling Zirconia dry. Having said that, our blocks for the chairside mills can be milled wet. I don't know if I would want to do this with disks though, that will be exposed to water, then dried, then rewetted, and so on and so on. Green state zirconia is water soluble. If you don't believe that, put a milled unit in distilled water in the ultrasonic for a few minutes.

Either way, I would not want use tap water, as this contains different chemicals and minerals that could change things in the zirconia, and potentially harm your Sinter Furnace. The one that comes to mind specifically is chlorine. This is how we sanitize our water for consumption and is in most tap water (unless your on a well or cistern system). This is one of the chemicals that was removed from ":Acid Based" coloring liquids, because the fumes attack the elements and muffle.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I'm on well but I use distilled water in the holding tank.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
O.K. So I tried my first sinter ever. It so happens it was on Zircad MT MULTI A2 16MM puck. Shade wise it looked decent. However , it was way small to go back on the die. So my question is. The shrinkage value on the side of the puck 1,2243. These were the numbers I entered . I had four options when entering the value number. Can someone explain the difference to me between.
Shrinkage value (%)
Scale factor
Non uniform shrinkage value (%)
Non uniform scale factor.
I chose Scale factor,. Should I have chosen differently ? I dont have this material in my library and used another brand for the design. Does that matter if using my own mill ?

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
That's funny. I noticed the same tight friction with Zircad and White Peaks.
Cube x2 and Kerox fits like a glove. I too thought it was a mistake entering the shrinkage value or a factory lapse.
I solved by rubbing softly the inner of the crows with a paintbrush. Then i disvovered that if you do the same a little more brisk in the outer surface, crowns get pefectly nice polished, no need of hand rubber. Sometimes the mistakes drive us to discoveries.

user name

user name

Reaction score
O.K. So I tried my first sinter ever. It so happens it was on Zircad MT MULTI A2 16MM puck. Shade wise it looked decent. However , it was way small to go back on the die. So my question is. The shrinkage value on the side of the puck 1,2243. These were the numbers I entered . I had four options when entering the value number. Can someone explain the difference to me between.
Shrinkage value (%)
Scale factor
Non uniform shrinkage value (%)
Non uniform scale factor.
I chose Scale factor,. Should I have chosen differently ? I dont have this material in my library and used another brand for the design. Does that matter if using my own mill ?
Shrinkage and scale are the same thing. Just telling the CAM how much to oversize it to compensate for the shrinkage that will happen during the sinter. Non-uniform allows you to enter two different values; one for X/Y, another one for Z.

Selecting another brand or material in your CAD just optimizes the spindle speed and feed rate to match a material...also controls the preset margin geometry and minimum thickness.

When I mill the exact same file in Beyond Plus and Katana STML, Ive learned that the STML will always be just the slightest bit tighter/smaller, so when entering the scaling for a new puck, if it says 1.245, I will change that to 1.246 or 1.247, just based on the previous pucks performance.

As with everything...youre results may vary.

Last edited:
G

grantoz

Reaction score
Ive just had an interesting talk with a cerac dentist on cerac files facebook telling me that katana super trans was great and how good it looked i pointed ive seen better .he got a bit snippy and started quoting how many great dentistist used it christenson etc.I also said the prettau anterior looked better and that speed firing wasnt a good idea particularly on pontics and thick crowns i pointed out that they cut these pontics in half and they weren't completely fired he wouldnt have a bar of it. Its still makes wonder how they think one minute all zirc is going to fail for so many reasons them its ok to fire a bridge in half an hour and at 750mpa min 1mm think and its going to be all ok. i just love the way they believe what suits at the time and the quoting from the brochure as science. Am i missing something?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ive just had an interesting talk with a cerac dentist on cerac files facebook telling me that katana super trans was great and how good it looked i pointed ive seen better .he got a bit snippy and started quoting how many great dentistist used it christenson etc.I also said the prettau anterior looked better and that speed firing wasnt a good idea particularly on pontics and thick crowns i pointed out that they cut these pontics in half and they weren't completely fired he wouldnt have a bar of it. Its still makes wonder how they think one minute all zirc is going to fail for so many reasons them its ok to fire a bridge in half an hour and at 750mpa min 1mm think and its going to be all ok. i just love the way they believe what suits at the time and the quoting from the brochure as science. Am i missing something?
Yep, you're missing the ability to change your mind when the science doesn't suit the facts and be a true believer anyway.